Surf Mags - Who's killing it, who's not??

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

willhs84

Surf Mags - Who's killing it, who's not??

Post by willhs84 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Just wanna know what mags everyone reads? Why?

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Surf Mags - Who's killing it, who's not??

Post by Grooter » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Surfing World subscriber

The only surf mag you need. Great photos and great stories without all the juveline adolescent garbage in the other ones.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:18 pm

I buy all surfing mags (with the exception of ASL - its cr@p and apparently all their writers are all midgets*).

Due to my incredibly large disposable income I can afford to spend hundreds on subscriptions to magazines which give me less information that what I would get right here.

Since the advent of the internet surfing magazines have become an anachronism. On here I can get a quality discussion about all things surfing, often with opinions that 'surfing identities' would not publish in a magazine. I also get tonnes of good quality photos of waves that aren't chopes, shippies and ours, from photographers I have actually met and like. Finally although the ads on here can be annoying and I shudder everytime I see a 7s superfish fish, they are far less pervasive than those in mags, and I don't have to pay to be annoyed by them.

On the downside I don't get any poor fitting shirts from realsurf, but I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could get a shirt from someone, probabaly priddy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 pm

what size TMC ??? lol.. :)

I used to really love the good old Tracks ( newspaper style ) and would look forward to the next edition and be checking newsagents to see if it was out yet...think it was great but was that just my grommett obsession with everything surfing ???

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:17 pm

Ive got a t-shirt with your name on it TMC, took ages to find someone that made 'aussie bloke larges' as well, if you get a sec to PM me with size and shipping its outbound to you. :D

I too subscribe to the big three aussie mags, ASL, Tracks and SW and still think each has something to offer. All three know they need to translate to online and are doing so, its a big task though, main challenge is that everyone is used to the internet being equal to free. Upside is that the surf mags have solid financial backing and are still going to be able to drive the development of professional online tools pertinent to surfers - tools that actually work.

Based on the quality of whats available in surf mags today, would you actually buy a black and white surf mag printed on broadsheet newspaper? :?:
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:27 pm

I would but I am not normal. I like things with carachter and nostalgia, drive a 64 EH, love old surfboards and surf history, and still watch Morning of the Earth and Kongs Island....I am sure most like the glossy paper full of ads...but in saying that the mags are ok, still like to see the amazing pics and read the stories...just liked the old Tracks better, good memories as a grommy... 8)

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:48 pm

pridmore wrote:I would but I am not normal.
weirdo :D

Broadsheet newspaper tracks was great for lighting fires on the beach and for making man traps - dig a big hole and place a paper sheet over it, save miss tracks page for later in the sand dunes...sprinkle lightly with sand, hide and giggle like a maniac when someone falls into hole and dislocates ankle..rinse and repeat...was it just me that used to do that? :lol:
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:48 pm

pridmore wrote:drive a 64 EH
You carnt!!!! you're driving my dream!!!!

I was looking into getting a new car and was thinking about a 64 EH special but all and sundry advised against it. All I wanted was a car with character and history rather than some ricer tin can.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:50 pm

if it's not on free and on the net :idea: :arrow:

than it's bad for the environment

a harp seal died for every mag u read

not say a perfectly good six pack stayed unsolded so u could read wats for free on the net :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:27 am

ok, so that's why kneeboarding was more popular in the 70s -- all those 'man traps' causing sprained ankles. bring back the broadsheet i say.
LONGINUS wrote: Broadsheet newspaper tracks was great for lighting fires on the beach and for making man traps - dig a big hole and place a paper sheet over it, save miss tracks page for later in the sand dunes...sprinkle lightly with sand, hide and giggle like a maniac when someone falls into hole and dislocates ankle..rinse and repeat...was it just me that used to do that? :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:55 am

I think Stab is KILLING IT.

Big fan of their "god we're fcuked but everyone else is even more fcuked" approach. Really seems to fit the times.

I think we should all rush out and get a free copy of their offshoot paper mag in General Pants.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:02 am

heheh this is fun. NC is like a big bad crocodile trawling the estuary. :lol:

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:54 am

Surfing World the only one I bother with any more . Others have the add quota higher than the content quota ..........but seems to get the ED's and hangers on spots on the commentary panel at WCT EVENTS so they can vomit large amounts of useless dribble and screw the whole LIVE feed experience.

Water Magazine is usually good read also .............read it online through surfline .

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:26 pm

Clif wrote:heheh this is fun. NC is like a big bad crocodile trawling the estuary. :lol:
It's his oeuvre.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:37 pm

TMC wrote:
pridmore wrote:drive a 64 EH
You carnt!!!! you're driving my dream!!!!

I was looking into getting a new car and was thinking about a 64 EH special but all and sundry advised against it. All I wanted was a car with character and history rather than some ricer tin can.
Don't get the EH, too small and too old.

Get a HZ, last of the great Holdens from the 1970's.

Had one just like this below with the Monaro rims (plus skull door knobs and a claxon horn 8) ) . I miss her so much but I just don't have the time these days to give it the care it needs to stay running

some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

willhs84

Post by willhs84 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:46 pm

DV8 wrote:Surfing World the only one I bother with any more . Others have the add quota higher than the content quota ..........but seems to get the ED's and hangers on spots on the commentary panel at WCT EVENTS so they can vomit large amounts of useless dribble and screw the whole LIVE feed experience.

Water Magazine is usually good read also .............read it online through surfline .
Are you kidding me... Surfing World's ED does more WCT commentating than anyone else in the Aussie magazine world...

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:55 pm

iggy wrote: as soon as mags like Track and ASL can start publishing articles with a writing style other than something that comes across as being targeted to some bong-addled deadshit forklift driver living at tugun or bilinga stuck in the early 90's then i might think about parting with my money for them...
I wonder if it's a paradox like in Terminator II. Becasue if all of Miles Dyson's work at cyberdine systems who developed the Terminator was based upon the chip that was sent back to 1985 from the future then who actually invented the technology in the first place?

So grommets only speak as though they were sired and educated in a brothel because of the level of grammar that surfing magazines expose them too. So grommets only say 'froffing' because they read it in a magazine and magazines use words like 'froffing' because they think that thats how grommets speak.

FADE OUT TO LOUNGE MUSIC

sandfly
Grommet

Post by sandfly » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:29 pm

Tracks with the odd Sufers Path and Surfing World thrown in for me.

Also think back with lots of nostalgia to the old Tracks with Capatain Goodvibes, them were the days!