did owen wright really beat kelly ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: did owen wright really beat kelly ?

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:05 am

mical wrote:Kelly in good form live. Although one of his waves in the expression session blew everyone away.
And was that not interesting? Confused over equipment in a heat and surfed badly. Surfed the board he wanted to surf in the ex-session, and looked fantastic. O should be glad K didn't obey his surfing instincts and ride that lil quad in the heat.

Think K won't make that error again.

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
mical wrote:Anyone got a comment on how piss poor it is that a guy that surfs like Robbo is without a major sponsor?
Not for long I'd reckon.

Lots of people watched his performance, some of 'em even have money.
I don't know Nick, wasn't Bede surfing for a while without a major sponsor? And he was totally ripping the bag out of it for a while.

As for the heat, I watched it from webland, and as much as I wanted Kelly to win, Owen looked the better surfer on the day from my point of view.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:50 pm

Chrisp wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
mical wrote:Anyone got a comment on how piss poor it is that a guy that surfs like Robbo is without a major sponsor?
Not for long I'd reckon.

Lots of people watched his performance, some of 'em even have money.
I don't know Nick, wasn't Bede surfing for a while without a major sponsor? And he was totally ripping the bag out of it for a while.
Yeahbut ... Bede suffered from an issue Robbo doesn't, that is, he'd been tattooed with the Bong logo for years. The big cos struggle with that fact when top surfers come up for sale.

Who was Robbo's last major sponsor? off the top of ya head now. Not that immediate to hand, is it. Makes him more immediately available to someone else.

Plus he wouldn't be asking for a half mill a year plus incentives.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Cookie wrote:Yeah I think the judges got themselves in a mess in that heat with their earlier scores. Mick caught a couple of OK waves and tore them to shreds. Tiago got the 2 better waves but didn't really do anything near as much with them.

I guess they just ended up thinking if they give Tiago the 8.4 he'll win the heat so screwed him over. No doubt Mick was surfing better but a 6.5 for that last wave was criminal. CJ's reaction in the commentary booth was a classic.
went to check out that heat on the ripcurl pro website and couldnt find any vids. really annoying all snickers adds etc and bulls#it, but no heat replays.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 pm

That's a good point NickNack, but I'd still think that Bede would be prime real estate for the major surf companies.

The Hobgoods managed to make the jump to Globe pretty cleanly I think.

Just out of curiousity, do Quicksilver sponsor any of the Aussies in the top 44? Seems to me they've got everyone but Aussies (of course someone obvious could be slipping my mind).

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Chrisp wrote:That's a good point NickNack, but I'd still think that Bede would be prime real estate for the major surf companies.
It doesn't matter what you or I think --they didn't think that and they're the ones signing the cheques.

They might think differently now, down the track, since Bede's shaken the Bong tag yet not quite adopted the new one. Cmon tell me his new endorsement. anyone?
Chrisp wrote:The Hobgoods managed to make the jump to Globe pretty cleanly I think.
The Hobgoods planned that a long way in advance, years ago, in different days, when Globe wanted badly to secure big name reps in surfing -- a sport they were only just entering into -- and had the fantasy money to do it.
Chrisp wrote:Just out of curiousity, do Quicksilver sponsor any of the Aussies in the top 44? Seems to me they've got everyone but Aussies (of course someone obvious could be slipping my mind).
No. Julian Wilson is their top Australian pro and he is not a WCT competitor yet. Seems to me that Quik oz has relied for a while now on the US team guns, ie Kelly and now Dane and perhaps Clay Marzo. They were putting money into a lot of regional surfing stuff but have pulled the plug on that (to be replaced by Fantastic Noodles, of all people).They had Fanning at the start of his career, and chased Joel in 2002 but failed to pull it off. That Snapper event must eat a lot of their readies.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Chrisp wrote:That's a good point NickNack, but I'd still think that Bede would be prime real estate for the major surf companies.
It doesn't matter what you or I think --they didn't think that and they're the ones signing the cheques.

They might think differently now, down the track, since Bede's shaken the Bong tag yet not quite adopted the new one. Cmon tell me his new endorsement. anyone?
is it that stupid looking 'An" logo company who/whatever they are??

roundhouse
Grommet

Post by roundhouse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Bedes sponsored by Mada and owns the Australian part of it... Mada is now going under iwth the GFC and id say he is looking to be a figure head for one of the not so big companies.. O&E, Reef etc.

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:57 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:

100% correct I have no idea who sponsors Bede now.

I guess it all comes down to business doesn't it? I would think Quiksilver would be feverishly looking for the "next Kelly" I mean Kelly has got them through a lot but the rest of the names on their line up have as yet failed to produce the same kind of excitement.
I feel this is as opposed to say Billabong whom I think has a good range of talent at the moment (then again it might just be that a lot of my favourite surfers are with Bong)

I think the "Nike" thing is what they need, they did very well switching from Jordan as a globally recognised figure, to Tiger Woods. I'm sure these two men have helped catapult Nike to where they are today

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:55 pm

Bede is with Mada, he actually owns a chunk of it too I think I heard, pretty good incentive to promote it as much as possible .... ( should have read the ealier post...oops )

Owens' sister rips, she doesnt surf like your typical girl ( not being sexest but most lack some power and not that many with a solid style IMO ), she will do well in the near future...I will tip world champ in the next 4 years....

dingdongdead
Grommet

Post by dingdongdead » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:28 pm

Owen killed it on the North Shore 08/09 and has a big bright future ahead of him. Lots to prove, many giants to slay-ter.
craig wrote:i saw a guy wearing a funny shirt the other day. it had on it:
QUIK RIP A BONG - ONLY A SHAREHOLDER KNOWS THE FEELING

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:48 pm

killing 'em on the QS.
Check the quarters with Julain wilson.
http://www.quikprodurban.com/index.asp? ... =BTS&day=6
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:05 pm

^^well he did score one and a half points higher. 8.17 to 6.67

Smoked in the end by the runner up in the Billabong world juniors this year. where no Aussies were to be seen after the quarters.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 pm

robbo was with piping hot last wasnt he?