Death threats on the North Shore

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Death threats on the North Shore

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:11 pm

roy Stewart wrote:
TrevG wrote:
Not wanting to pander to your ego, Roy but maybe their concern relates to others into whose hands these thing smight fall if they catch on. :roll:
I see, "concerned beach users threaten to murder surf magazine editor for harbouring a wooden longboard"

Yeah right ! :roll: You got the wrong end of the stick there, boy, and what a wanker trying to defend mafia death threats. never said that - you can't quote me there, pal. Maybe you should just NOT go where you aren't wanted

And I would suggest that only one wipe out in half a dozen sessions would be enough to cause considerable damage in even a semi crowded line up. :twisted: you're the one who suggested this ratio
Yeah well you would know wouldn't you, having first hand experience on the subject of my surfboards :roll: well, yes, maybe not so different to the toothpicks or hollow ply boards of old - and I am old

Get this: In 15 years of riding those big boards in crowded lineups I have never caused an injury to anyone, except one to myself. Probably coz, like your mates, everyone saw you coming and headed for the hills

We know what is going down, you don't. WTF? This sounds like something from a kiddiegarter kid

You're missing the point here, Roy. It's not about you. It's about other, less experienced, less responsible (there is that pandering enough for you?) people using a board like yours.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:22 pm

TrevG wrote:

So why don't you and some of the "bros" go over there and sort him out.

We just do the usual, carry on and steady as she goes no need to get over excited.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:27 pm

Once every dozen surfs is still far to often you moron... You dont get it do you?

I hope someone follows through with that death threat. Should make you think twice next time you paddle out on a 13ft log not wearing a leg rope only to kook a wave and have it wash through a crowd.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:32 pm

Word of the death threats doesn't seem to have spread to other areas of North Shore surfing society. A quick email to a bunch of buddies etc returned a response of "what wooden board?"

People surf SUPs at Pipeline these days, they bodysurf it (always have), alaias on smaller days, longboards, whatever, there's no craft that doesn't get ridden out there.

And despite all the rumours etc, death threats really are not very common on the North Shore, even for much more severe transgressions than owning a wooden board made in NZ.

Who's your mate Roy? Who received these threats? I think this deserves a wider investigation.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:33 pm

TrevG wrote:
You're missing the point here, Roy. It's not about you. It's about other, less experienced, less responsible (there is that pandering enough for you?) people using a board like yours.
You claim to know what it is about but you don't know at all.

It isn't about beach safety it's a surf industry money and mana issue, we know this because we have access to information which you don't have.

Keep in mind that Garrett McNamara rode the board and felt that it was well suited to big pipeline. . . he is perfectly capable of assessing the risks involved.

Also, realise that the a group of local surfers were praising the board after riding it and people were lining up to ride it. . . according to a NS surf ophotographer who was there the word was out on the 'coconut grapevine' that the board is really good, it was causing a stir and a lot of excitement. . . THEN the surf industry controllers stepped in and stopped it from happening using an array of tactics, including death threats.

This is not like the toothpicks you remember, it is a thin, flexible finely tuned board of only 30 pounds, it is a superb board and can handle heavy hollow waves with ease. . . you will see this board in the Eddie sooner or later:

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Word of the death threats doesn't seem to have spread to other areas of North Shore surfing society. A quick email to a bunch of buddies etc returned a response of "what wooden board?"

People surf SUPs at Pipeline these days, they bodysurf it (always have), alaias on smaller days, longboards, whatever, there's no craft that doesn't get ridden out there.

And despite all the rumours etc, death threats really are not very common on the North Shore, even for much more severe transgressions than owning a wooden board made in NZ.

Who's your mate Roy? Who received these threats? I think this deserves a wider investigation.
The threats were made against Bill Ward of Haleiwa, who is editor of an SUP magazine. Bill kept our board out of circulation for three months in spite of strenuous efforts from several parties to get it back into the hands of Garrett McNamara who was waiting to take it out at big pipeline. The board simply could not be released even though it was right there in Haleiwa. We could not understand why Bill ( who had been very enthusiastic about involving himself in the project) suddenly changed his tune and spun us a long series of excuses, untruths, etc making it impossible for anyone to pick up the board.

Once the season was over Bill finally delivered the board to a friend of ours in Honolulu who is a Marine Biology student. Bill revealed to this person that the reason why he had kept the board out of circulation was due to death threats.

Yesterday, NS surf photographer Scott Hartvigsen emailed us to say that he had also heard of the death threats.

At present Scott and Bill are playing it down on surfermag saying "haha we get death threats every day lol " but they obviously don't want to be seen as telling tales out of school so that is understandable.

If you feel like investigating further ( I see no need myself ) you could talk to Bernhardt Alama ( he's on facebook ) who is a manager of the bank of Hawaii and native Hawaiian surfer, Bernie has been following the saga from day one several years ago when it started with an argument with Bill Barnfield, who said publicly that I am a delusional fraudster and that my boards could never even make a takeoff on any North shore wave of consequence.

As you know Wayne Bartholomew was beaten and under a threat of death merely for writing an article, and I have written plenty of articles the content of which which certain people over there don't like. . . so I don't find it all that surprising.

Last edited by roy Stewart on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trumpeter

Post by Trumpeter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:you farken germicidal wart.

And whaddabout this:

Surfboards are our passion at Global Surf Industries.
Global Surf Industries has a company mantra "Life is better when you surf

Hilarious.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/germicidal

not sure of what you are saying about me here Ron, can you please explain it to me? I don't have much school education. :oops:

am glad however that you can have a laugh at gsi's mantra 8)
Global Surf Industries has a company mantra "Life is better when you surf®".

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:45 pm

roy Stewart wrote:
TrevG wrote:
You claim to know what it is about but you don't know at all.

It isn't about beach safety it's a surf industry money and mana issue, we know this because we have access to information which you don't have.

Keep in mind that Garrett McNamara rode the board and felt that it was well suited to big pipeline. . . he is perfectly capable of assessing the risks involved.

Also, realise that the a group of local surfers were praising the board after riding it and people were lining up to ride it. . . according to a NS surf ophotographer who was there the word was out on the 'coconut grapevine' that the board is really good, it was causing a stir and a lot of excitement. . . THEN the surf industry controllers stepped in and stopped it from happening using an array of tactics, including death threats.

This is not like the toothpicks you remember, it is a thin, flexible finely tuned board of only 30 pounds, it is a superb board and can handle heavy hollow waves with ease. . . you will see this board in the Eddie sooner or later:
You're still missing the point. Regardless of your claims of death threats and conspiracy theories, I think you'll find the concerns of most Realsurfers are aimed at the thought of yet another uncontrolled vehicle in our surf. Put a leggie on it for safety's sake.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Sorry to say Roy, but it seems to me like you punched one too many cones.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Hatchman wrote:As much as I love the look of Roys boards I'd hate to see one of them out while I'm in the surf - especially when the rider loses it on a closeout and it comes flying through the white-wash obliterating all in its path!

T:
actually....when eva there is a decent swell my local....there are a few on wooden boards

they surfem really well......aren't any danger at all

unlike the rest crowds on standard shortys and mals :roll:

on topic.....u gave the board too a editor a sup magazine :shock:

omg....thats was first thing you did wrong :roll:

the death threats....i wonder....will they make a great unconfirmed feature article for him :?:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Ringmaster wrote:

......in that you must have smoked a truck load of bud over the years and have developed the paranoia and self obsessiveness consistent with that behaviour.

Actually I'm a teetotaller, so stfu.

As mentioned above I have emails from reliable people in Hawaii which informed me of the death threats, they are not of my invention.'

And in case you didn't read properly the the threats were against Bill Ward not me

Lets face it. You make and ride equipment which is NEVER going to cause the slightest blip on the surfing radar.
Wrong again, they make a big impression wherever they go and have already made more than a blip on the radar, the best is yet to come though.

It's not all about punting on foam chips. . . that's all legit but riding big heavy wooden boards is a wonderful experience, and not for the faint of heart . Duke rode shorter alaias for most of his life but when he rode an olo he rated it as the best experience of his life, even higher than winning olympic gold medals in swimming.

As Garrett said to us today: " Send them all to my place, go BIG ! "

:D

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
Hatchman wrote:As much as I love the look of Roys boards I'd hate to see one of them out while I'm in the surf - especially when the rider loses it on a closeout and it comes flying through the white-wash obliterating all in its path!

T:
actually....when eva there is a decent swell my local....there are a few on wooden boards

the death threats....i wonder....will they make a great unconfirmed feature article for him :?:
Yeah it's the same over here we surf very safely, more so than the mal riders who constantly bail their boards when caught inside or facing a challenging section.

Riding a big wooden board is a big responsibility and it naturally causes one to be very alert and safety conscious, we never bail on our boards, and hang on to them with a vice like grip no matter what, and surf in such a way that we always have options. These anti big board people don't know what they are talking about their hysteria is based on fear, and their fear is based on ignorance.

Anyway it looks like the whole thing is back on track again, just thought I'd share the nitty gritty dirty laundry, that stuff normally doesn't see the light of day.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Trumpeter wrote:

Global Surf Industries has a company mantra "Life is better when you surf"

You mean you all have the same mantra ?

Bloody hell !

In case you didn't know it the only real mantra which corporations are allowed to have is profit, as they are required by law to maximise profit for the shareholders. All that other stuff is just marketing and window dressing, although no doubt the lower rung employees swallow it.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:51 pm

roy Stewart wrote: Anyway it looks like the whole thing is back on track again, just thought I'd share the nitty gritty dirty laundry, that stuff normally doesn't see the light of day.
So, let me get this straight. All back on track. So the terrifying death threats which kept this board hidden for 3 months have just simply, gone away? :wink:
I think Fong nailed it. Sounds like a great publicity stunt. :roll:
Beanpole

Skipper

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Ringmaster wrote:Hey Roy.....

.....one thing I neglected to mention in my earlier post, at the risk of sounding like a BOHDIDONTSURF (synonym for arselicker), is that you are obviously very talented with your hands in the building/woodwork department. I'm envious of that quality cause I am barely able to re-set a glassed in fin properly or lay decking timber nice and square let alone create something like that :cry:

How come you don't step it up to building boats or other larger sea going vessels (maybe you have) cause you'd obviously be bloody good at it :idea:

...... each to their own I spose..........
So how does Roys cock taste?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:16 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:48 am

roy Stewart wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:

T:

Yeah it's the same over here we surf very safely, more so than the mal riders who constantly bail their boards when caught inside or facing a challenging section.

Riding a big wooden board is a big responsibility and it naturally causes one to be very alert and safety conscious, we never bail on our boards, and hang on to them with a vice like grip no matter what, and surf in such a way that we always have options. These anti big board people don't know what they are talking about their hysteria is based on fear, and their fear is based on ignorance.

Anyway it looks like the whole thing is back on track again, just thought I'd share the nitty gritty dirty laundry, that stuff normally doesn't see the light of day.

Roy it's not hysteria that I base my claims on. I'v got no fear of big boards as my main break is dominated by mals and has been for years.

It's based on the fact that (in my opinion) a lot of people who ride bigger equipment nowadays are generally a lot less experienced than those who do not.

People that fall into these categories are usually cashed-up sea-changers wanting to recapture or live the "surfie" lifestyle but aren't prepared to put the hard yards in at the gym or out in the water on a short-board.
Therefore they buy the bigger equipment because
a) It's a much faster route to getting out there and standing up
b) They lack the fitness and strength to ride shorter equipment.
c) They can afford it - your average surfie bogan down my way can't afford a 'Laird' branded SUP

As a case in point I nearly got obliterated by some dumb fat fcuk on a surf-ski on the weekend because he didn't read the waves and lacked the strength and fitness to hang onto his equipment.

As I said I've got no issue with bigger boards, if I was flushed with cash I'd probably take more than a passing interest in the boards you make. But as TrevG says, put a leash on them FFS for no more reason other than it would just be a responsible thing to do.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:43 pm

Would YOU attach one of those things to YOUR leg??!!? :shock: