Bombora - History of Australian Surfing

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Bombora - History of Australian Surfing

Post by Grooter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:32 am

Screens this Thursday (26th) at 8.30pm on the ABC

Narrated by Jack Thompson and one of the writers is none other than Real Surfs resident elder statesman, Mr Nick Carroll.

Looks pretty good I would have to say
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Bombora - History of Australian Surfing

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:37 am

and episode 2 is a week later.

High expectations from NC.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:51 am

I must say though I'll be a little disappointed (although not entirely surprised) if the extent of the Victorian surfing covers just Bells and pretty much nowhere else.

Hopefully it goes into more of the unknown facts of Australian surfing history as well as this is what will get my interest up. Stuff like taking on big waves off the cliffs of the Nullarbor and stuff like that.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:54 am

Hatchman wrote:I must say though I'll be a little disappointed (although not entirely surprised) if the extent of the Victorian surfing covers just Bells and pretty much nowhere else.
Your fears are unfounded. I've heard that it reveals quite a few of Vicco's "secret spots".

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:50 am

^^^

Yeah I suppose... I just think it would be good for the rest of the country to see how one-dimensional the surf is down here. Just so they know surfing in Vicco anywhere else is a complete waste of time once you've surfed Bells as it is the best wave bar none. :)

Seriously though, I'm more interested in the attention paid to many of the shapers and pioneers that first started exploring the breaks in Vicco. Some guys down here have been making boards and surfing for decades, long before there were any life-savers, wetsuits and all the other modern conveniences. I know a bloke who's old man used to surf Flinders way back in the early 60's when they'd light a fire on the beach (if you could call it that) before going in for a winter surf wearing only their footy jumpers and shorts.

That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:56 am

Pretty hard to get at that sort of stuff Hatchman, I would imagine. Lots of anecdotes out there but they may need proof? A bit like saying Vicco barrels, there's no proof 8) :lol:

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:00 am

Don and I went to the premiere at Icebergs last night and Bombora was AWESOME. I was sitting right up in my seat the whole time. Excellent footage, interviews, and some juicy stories that probably haven't been heard before. Don's going to write a full review which he'll post later so I won't rabbit on here, as I easily could. :) But I have to say, well done, Nick. Every surfer should be glued to their screen when this airs on ABC - Ep 1 - Thurs March 26 at 8:30pm, Ep 2 - Thurs 2 April at 8:30pm.

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:05 pm

and theres me thinking the roo brand just made windsurf boards..... :shock:

Royboys
regular

Post by Royboys » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:57 am

When I hear Bombora I think of my Atlantics record that was stolen out of my K-Tel Selector. :cry:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:51 am

Hatchman wrote:Hopefully it goes into more of the unknown facts of Australian surfing history ..............
I've heard that it will cover the known knowns, and some of the unknown knowns, but disappointingly it steers clear of the known unknowns, possibly due to political correctness, and it doesn't even touch on the unknown unknowns. :? :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

I'll be watching. I'm sure John Monie and that group surfing Bells in their footy jumpers in the 60's will get a mention hman.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Hatchman wrote:I must say though I'll be a little disappointed (although not entirely surprised) if the extent of the Victorian surfing covers just Bells and pretty much nowhere else.

Hopefully it goes into more of the unknown facts of Australian surfing history as well as this is what will get my interest up.

Went to a wedding yesterday and got chatting to a group of surfers about the story in Tracks recently that told the history of surfing in Cronulla. Five blokes, five different opinions about how they would've written the piece. Bits that got left out, bits that should've been put in. Not much agreement. And since the story got printed I've had many similar conversations.

And this is just one beach!

The history of Cronulla surfing is nothing against the history of Australian surfing. So many threads, and so many people that have genuine reasons to be included in the larger narrative. But only 3hrs to do it.

I watched Bombora on DVD this morning and thought that, overall, the writers decisions on what (or who) they deemed influential was sound. Only gripe was that perhaps they could've delved a bit more into the cultural aspects of surfing...but yeah, only 3hrs to cover a lot of ground.

Hatchman wrote:Stuff like taking on big waves off the cliffs of the Nullarbor and stuff like that.
Not sure the fellas living out there are so keen to have their stories told Hatchman.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:20 pm

oldman wrote:
Hatchman wrote:Hopefully it goes into more of the unknown facts of Australian surfing history ..............
I've heard that it will cover the known knowns, and some of the unknown knowns, but disappointingly it steers clear of the known unknowns, possibly due to political correctness, and it doesn't even touch on the unknown unknowns. :? :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
So thats what happened to Donald Rumsfeld :roll: :roll: :roll:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:55 pm

2nd Reef wrote:
Hatchman wrote:Stuff like taking on big waves off the cliffs of the Nullarbor and stuff like that.
Not sure the fellas living out there are so keen to have their stories told Hatchman.
Yeah that's a good point come to think of it.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:21 am

Hatchman wrote:
2nd Reef wrote:
Yeah that's a good point come to think of it.
someone recently posted some video of mikey dora. in it he says he doesn't want to be part of the surf mythology and told friends not to talk about him or tell stories.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:38 am

someone recently posted some video of mikey dora. in it he says he doesn't want to be part of the surf mythology and told friends not to talk about him or tell stories.
my 2c: A clear signal to say DO IT while maintaing that well-rehearsed status of "not giving a f%ck". Dora was the expert at fueling the "counter-culture" narrative 8)

Or I am far too cynical :lol:

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:36 pm

^^^Isn't he dead?

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:37 pm

Apparently Episode 3 is all about Ric Vidal.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Damage wrote:Apparently Episode 3 is all about Ric Vidal.
must be short