Bombora - History of Australian Surfing

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Re: Bombora - History of Australian Surfing

Post by Buff_Brad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Scott Dillon was a classic!

And Bob Pike ....... taking that wave at Pipeline on that board. Fcuking hell. Gutsy. :shock:

Very interesting - can see now why Larry remembers.........................and remembers..............and remembers.

But what about 100 years into the future???...................s'pose wave pools everywhere. Or virtual reality surfing. Every time is unique I guess. Compare Miget's surfing to Slater's - can't imagine anyone thinking Slater's surfing will look "old fashioned" in the future........ but they will for sure........still can't imagine it though.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:43 pm

very well done , good to see Dick Evans on screen...

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:50 pm

I have the utmost admiration for anyone who attempts something such as this ... but why perpetuate the myth of the Duke and Isobel.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:42 pm

Good doco, nick and co. It was good seeing some of the history there. I didnt know the history of bells etc. Why it was considered a classic aussie surf break. Good to see Queensie as well. Watched it with my mum. She remembered all the names and did the usual, "oh, i cant believe 'midge' now". Like he's all grown up and shit. Anyway, ill be watching the last episode. ABC is the best station.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:27 am

did anyone else think it was too long? i got bored with it after 10 minutes. i realise the history can't be told in 30 secs though :P

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:06 am

What a fcuking stoker.
Total joy seeing Midget, Bob Pike, Scotty Dillon etc etc.(and not just the standard Nat Young redux)
Jeeze, it illustrated with frightening contrast just how soft modern Sydney surfers have become.
You couldn't imagine the latte sipping residents of today doing anything remotely resembling feats of derring do which ernest historians would deem noteworthy.
I though the music choices were bizarre. Jesus and Mary Chain for the final of the '64 world titles ?????????? Yeah great idea.
it flowed, bit sort of g rated , didn't address any of the unknown unknowns. ie how did Bob Pike die?
I though NC's posture was a bit hunched when he was being interviewed and his head was very shiny.
But this is just carping.
The damm thing was highly enjoyable and skirted (though not by a wide margin) the usual cliched BS you see on mainstream TV about surfing.
Now I've seen Scotty Dillon when a few sheets to the wind and when there is some backpacker skirt around tell those tales with a little more......panache.
Where was the mention of that Nick?
The fcucking FACT that surfing is just some performance derived to get you more attention from the opposite sex?
The whole freudian subtext of why the hell people surf......freedom my arse.
Shit the surf sounds loud, fcuk this for a waste of time.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:22 am

Yep,
Never mind the past this week.
We've got too many waves to ride up our way.
Just going to let the tide drop first.
LOL. :D
Only a rat can win the rat race.

PB
regular

Post by PB » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:32 am

I didn't think there was any mystery surrounding the death of Bob Pike, but it's also perhaps not something the makers of the doco wanted to include

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:43 am

Have to say I loved the first episode. Well done Nick and co this was really enjoyable, even Mrs Hatchman was getting into it and she does not surf nor have much interest in it at all.

Bob McTavish was a standout to me, that bloke has got more stoke in him than a teenager after getting his first root :D

Seeing that footage of guys on massive wooden boards with no leg ropes taking on some heavy surf was pretty cool. Doubt many people these days would have the balls to do that.

Was some of that footage taken from Endless Summer 1? I thought the Hawaii stuff looked a little similar
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

silvynn
Grommet

Post by silvynn » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:43 am

A great bit of history. So, the animosity between clubbies and surfers goes way back! I didn't know the clubbies used to require board riders to pay to have their boards registered, or be fined! I guess clubbies have always been wankers then?

And how were the shots of Bondi & Manly from the early 1900's? You think it's crowded today, but man things haven't changed much....

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:16 am

nuffink ngo wrote:
dinosaur wrote:The only good thing about evenings on 702 is when Bob Downe fills in.
Dino comes out of the closet.
Finally.

Very funny nuffink. :lol: :lol:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 am

steve shearer wrote: I though the music choices were bizarre. Jesus and Mary Chain for the final of the '64 world titles ?????????? Yeah great idea.
it flowed, bit sort of g rated , didn't address any of the unknown unknowns. ie how did Bob Pike die?
"Bombora" gets my thumbs up for approval. :D

Interesting choice of music I thought too. They didn't use "period" music as such but used later era artists such as the Stray Cats & Midnight Oil who reproduced '60's style music. Not sure, but did I also hear the Velvet Underground? If so, the relationship with surfing was lost on me. Can Nick Nack explain that one. :?:

Bob Pike's death was covered in the papers quite some time ago (10+years). The key facts that I remember were that he had worked as a fireman at South Narra fire station, he suffered an injury that stopped his surfing and that he topped himself. Each preceding fact did not necessarily cause the following one.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:23 am

oldman wrote:
steve shearer wrote:Jeeze, it illustrated with frightening contrast just how soft modern Sydney surfers have become.
Yeah yeah. Waving that flag again SS?
We know you are realsurf's country member. :idea: :mrgreen:
Much more interested in next week.

I know you can't tell the history without Midget, but I find him a whiny character, couldn't sit in a pub and have a beer with him.
Well, there you go, I've been advised by someone I trust that I could sit in a pub with him and he is a very interesting character. My thoughts were based on nothing more than casual observations based on a few interviews etc I have seen over the years. No doubt there is a store of surf information in his brain that I would be interested in dragging out.

I've edited my original contribution when I really meant to quote myself so that I could contradict myself. Apologies for the confusion.

Anyways, carry on, as I'm inclined to do. Have one of these for your troubles. :mrgreen:
Last edited by oldman on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:36 am

chrisb wrote: Not sure, but did I also hear the Velvet Underground? If so, the relationship with surfing was lost on me. Can Nick Nack explain that one. :?:
Sure! We just thought it was a great track, energetic and rolling and really felt like it fit the big wave Hawaii hell man experience.

Glad most of you enjoyed it, don't worry oldman, Nat's in it up to his neck next wk.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:37 am

steve shearer wrote:The fcucking FACT that surfing is just some performance derived to get you more attention from the opposite sex?
whoa, shearer's the one coming out here :lol:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:44 am

oldman wrote:
steve shearer wrote:Jeeze, it illustrated with frightening contrast just how soft modern Sydney surfers have become.
Yeah yeah. Waving that flag again SS?
We know you are realsurf's country member. :idea: :mrgreen:
Much more interested in next week.
Yeah, we remember. :lol:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:53 am

I enjoyed it immensely. Not much new footage for someone as old as I am :oops: but the interviews were great.
It drew plenty of favourable comment out in the surf up here this morning, too.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:17 am

puurri wrote:Yeah, we remember. :lol:
puurri I knew you would know the reference even if no-one else did. :wink:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.