Moving to Sydney - Advice

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

roundhouse
Grommet

Moving to Sydney - Advice

Post by roundhouse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:24 am

gday guys

Im moving to Sydney for my work in a couple of months from the Sunny coast.

Havent really spent much time in Sydney, but looking forward to somewhere new, just want to pick your guys brains for the best place to live in regards to consistant/good range of surf, places to drink/party, people etc. I really want to be within walking/short drive distance to the surf and cant be too far from the city (e.g not past say Narrabeen). Im just looking to rent a small apartment with the misses, not too fussed but dont wanna pay huge $$ in rent.

A few places im thinking are Cronulla, Curly & Deewhy.

Any opinions/advice would be apreciated

Clif
barnacle

Re: Moving to Sydney - Advice

Post by Clif » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:35 pm

No to Northern beaches. Smaller swell window. Super crowded all the time. Cronulla is good. A few hidey holes and a long long beachie to spread crowd sometimes. Access south is good too and there is good fun south.

Also, the northern beaches mean you might run into too many RS weirdos. :lol:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Laper, Malabar or Botany.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:00 pm

and if you stray from Sinny's accepted norms meet a whole world of grief (and a bundi).

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:14 pm

puurri wrote:Laper, Malabar or Botany.
what about matraville.

i was thinkning about brooklyn. how long do you think it would take to get to palm beach from brooklyn in a tinny?

danw
regular

Post by danw » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:37 pm

purple pyramids wrote:
puurri wrote:Laper, Malabar or Botany.
what about matraville.

i was thinkning about brooklyn. how long do you think it would take to get to palm beach from brooklyn in a tinny?

it takes aprox 25mins depending conditions.
dont know how a sunny coast person would go around the hawksebury. if you wanna know about life on the river go see a movie called "oyster farmer"

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:01 pm

If you go northern beaches I would look at Collaroy for a unit. Not far from Longy or Narrabeen and there is the club and pub and a few eateries, near a golf course if you are that way inclined. Bus into the city. Good park if you have kids and it also has a few good walks around to Brownwater. 10 minutes to the mall if you need big shops.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:44 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
motivator4587645.jpg
Mid week by the looks of that picture.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:15 pm

dinosaur wrote:Just a bit of advice to help with your move. In Sydney you will notice a lot of people with darker skin than yourself and your good lady wife. They will also have different color hair, different shaped eyes and faces. These are people, they are not aliens or animals or slaves or servants. They are Human beings and are just like you and me, although at the start everyone will be a little bit more advanced than you as your are from Queensland. These strange looking (to you) creatures are people of other races, whom there are a lot of in Sydney. They hold many positions in our society from the highest office to the unemployed and everything in between. Remember this is Sydney not Queensland. You cant run them down in your car or hunt them on the weekends. If you chase and lynch one of these people, for talking to your wife, you will go to jail.

Good luck and welcome to the human race.
Of course there are boundaries set so some people can feel right at home, in some parts of sydney. Gods country sticks out on the northern beaches, some say this starts at north of mona vale, but I think it starts at worry-wood. If your not caucasian and don't work in a restaurant don't worry about going there, you won't feel welcome - but if you are, you won't be confronted with issues that you see in other parts of sydney and can safely hold onto those left'ist views if you have them - plus it has the added bonus of dino living there.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

danw
regular

Post by danw » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
motivator4587645.jpg

this bloke i know who knows this other bloke, had a bachelor party on the beach about 6 months ago. was about 50 of em and they surfed and hassled the crap out of each other all day. that photo looks similar to some the photos i saw from the party.
in the night had fire on beach, beers, stories, some other stuff :roll: and a full moon. apparently it was a real good time :)

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:11 pm

^^^^^^Yes, puurri :roll:

If you want to find an area that is similar to the one you currently live in I would suggest either Cronulla or Blacktown.

One is full of redneck fcukwits insterspersed with long fringed, zack effron wannabes, the other is further from the beach than cronulla.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:DY is a cesspool. If you like ghettos full of unemployed, idle, fat, mute south pacific milkshakes then DY is your place. You WILL get your car stolen.

Narrabeen is overrated in almost every way and has a lot of idiots who think they are tough. The entire beach closes out.

Curl Curl is the new venue for the sheep dog championships by virtue of it being so crowded that a talented kelpie can make it all the way from one headland to the other on top of the heads of kooks.

Cronulla is a hotch potch of pseudo-intellectuals, rugby league players and westie red necks. There is no middle ground.
Your a real people person arent you Ron !!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:22 pm

DONT :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

roundhouse
Grommet

Post by roundhouse » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks for the replies.

Dinosaur - yes I am from Queensland and although I do have a thing against Indian cab drivers, we have people from other countries here too. Just not as many! haha

So far it seems as though the northern beaches arent really getting the thumbs up by many and cronulla has a few votes. i know the traffic is shit everywhere in Sydney but whats the run from cronulla to the city or paramatta like? Is there much to do round there if the surfs flat? any good pubs?

If you guys had to pick a place to live close to the beach in the sydney area where would you pick?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:39 am

Curly.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:10 am

iggy wrote:maroubra (serious)
ditto. (also surrounding burbs).

Nulla is insularity personified, but good local breaks and to the south in and past the national park. Local shoireistas don't think about working or going elsewhere as it's abt 70 minutes to city by train or road in peak hour.

Parra has reasonable housing around and to the west with a good freeway system north/south. 'burbs to the east and southeast tend to be "ethnically insular".

"The Hills" are whitebread aspirationals dreaming of Hanson redux.

Tempe and Marrickville areas are reasonable.

The northern beaches; well each to their own.

If you're in IT then Ryde and northward are the go. Anyway good luck.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:24 am

You'll get more surf than the Sunny Coast thats for sure.
Serious question though.....unless your gunna build a highrise or something or drive cabs (don't laugh, mate of mine now owns 3 houses from driving cabs in Sydney) why would you do it?
With the internet it kind of makes the whole concept of living in a city moronic (ok maybe too strong a word......redundant).
Plenty of crew here get their income from Sydney.....work online....fly to Syd once or twice a fortnight (45 mins from Ballina).
You'd have to question the whole concept of city living circa 2009.
Fer fcuks sake there's 10 restaraunts in the main drag of Lennox, and all the bands, art galleries and kulcha a north shore fashionista could cram into their skinny jeans.
OK, the coffee.
Yep got me there.
We're a bit short on Asian and middle eastern people but there's a thriving Bundjalung nation culture here.
Anyway, just asking.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:30 am

try campbelltown

30 mins to Thirroul and surrounding waves.

30 mins to Parra by train.

Cheap rent.

10 mins to the haunted town of Picton if you like ghosts.

No beach but.

Yet with todays super duper technological mastery you can check the waves on your computer thingymajig on a surfcam.

Also nice walks in Burragorang National Park

8)

become a Westie!