game to surf dawn and dusk in sydney?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mondo
Grommet

game to surf dawn and dusk in sydney?

Post by mondo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:13 pm

after yet another shark sighting at bondi last night (tues march 3) http://www.smh.com.au/national/surfers- ... -8o05.html
how many of you have either stopped surfing at dawn or dusk, or are nervous in doing so. the east is where i surf, and i've opted out of dawn and dusk surfs for the next little while. maybe once winter kicks i'll start up again, or when the last sighting is at least a couple months old...there's alot of bravado talk, but the chances of getting bit right now are higher than historically speaking.the old saying "more likely to hit by a car than bit by a shark" doesn't apply this year.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Re: game to surf dawn and dusk in sydney?

Post by Revolution » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:20 pm

You have got to be kidding me yeh??

i mean...

Ive stopped surfing all together. It isnt safe. They like the warm water. Dont come back into the water. Stay away... :roll:

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Revolution wrote:You have got to be kidding me yeh??

i mean...

Ive stopped surfing all together. It isnt safe. They like the warm water. Dont come back into the water. Stay away... :roll:
im going to sell a shark story to the media after this friday to clear out the line-up just a lttle bit on saturday for that south swell pulse... :lol:

"Great white terror...Sydney under seige!"

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:10 pm

dinosaur wrote:Fantastic proof that its starting to work. Fong will be so proud good work. I don't think it'll ever be safe to go back in the water ever again, better get those rollerblades out of the closet mongo.
Yeah mongo get those rollerblades out of the closet like we are are gonna get Dino out of the closet this weekend right Toesies? Big Weekend on Oxford St/ Taylor Square for our Av Cat. 8)

Grab-Rail Cutties

Post by Grab-Rail Cutties » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:42 pm

dude the thing about sharks is people over-think them and start getting paranoid
whenever i paddle out im not thinking oh shit im gonna get eaten i just think about getting pitted
its the same when surfing reef breaks you dont think how rorted you get when you hit the coral you just put it out of your mind

thats my advice anyway just completely block it out of your mind

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:32 pm

Grab-Rail Cutties wrote:dude the thing about sharks is people over-think them and start getting paranoid
whenever i paddle out im not thinking oh shit im gonna get eaten i just think about getting pitted
its the same when surfing reef breaks you dont think how rorted you get when you hit the coral you just put it out of your mind

thats my advice anyway just completely block it out of your mind
until it starts chewing on your leg, then you should probably take evasive actions.
Its normally never a problem unless im the last one out at dusk on a reef, with a big drop off, murky water and when its over 200m out....

i have this exact place on my mind right now for this little south pulse :)

Jake_ddsn

Post by Jake_ddsn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:34 pm

I still surf at Freshie in the morning (if there is enough light before work) or mostly at night after work. Without sounding all macho, my view hasnt really changed. Obviously it sits in the back of my mind a bit more but I am thinking, yes there are more sharks around and closer to the beach but there mindset is not to attack humans so as long as the water is relative clear you should be right.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Look, get this straight.

If you blokes had any idea, any idea at all, you would be getting your advice about sharks and surfing from someone who really knows.

Miranda Devine in today's SMH (Thurs, 5/3). I'd link to it but they haven't put it up yet, it seems. Do yourselves a favour ............................... :roll: :roll:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:35 pm

^^^^ And she quotes Surfin Turf!

And she calls him a misanthrope!

Great piece by Miranda.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:48 pm

2nd Reef wrote:^^^^ And she quotes Surfin Turf!

And she calls him a misanthrope!
Couldn't be bothered looking back, but surely not ST's quote. The quote she gives is in defence of the sharks, and certainly that wasn't ST.

Now, who said what! Realsurf forum BS once again quoted willy-nilly by (cough) journalist!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Actually it was Ringmaster she quoted!

"Dirty,stinking humans.....scum of the planet and hopefully sharks will be here for millions more years after we're extinct" was typical of one misanthropic comment on a surf website this week.

Do any journos actually talk to surfers or just lurk on here for 'typical' comments?

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:55 pm

I vote we all play a game to see who can be the next to get quoted in a major newspaper!

Just this week myself, Karlos and Ringo and been quoted. Who'll be next?

First prize, major bragging rights.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:02 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transc ... 759138.htm

iggy....it's not just the sharks....BIG CROCS :shock:

I LOVE FRASER ISLAND

but yeah....everytime u surf there :?

boulders...at morton island....where that guy just got eatening few years back :!:

fu'ck....place pumps on the tiniest swells

just can't bring meself jump overboard :oops:

i worry about the old whaling station

how long great whites live for :?:

shit....it was only last fifty years it was shut down....a big white back from swimming around africa might remember it's a place for a good feed :shock: :idea:

p.s surfing turf....you are now officially violated....none us can ever take you seriously again :cry:

edit....oh...your off the hook surfing turf...it was ringmaster...doesn't matter than as no one took him............ :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:09 pm

ringa,
Being a cats supporter with a missus who spends $170 on a hair cut, misanthropic sounds about right to me.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:16 pm

^^^

It's all the more funnier that you're from Vic as well, can't say we've had a shark problem of late :lol:
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:16 pm

word of advice ... don't trust anyone who calls you misanthropic ... :idea:

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:18 pm

2nd Reef wrote:I vote we all play a game to see who can be the next to get quoted in a major newspaper!

Just this week myself, Karlos and Ringo and been quoted. Who'll be next?

First prize, major bragging rights.
Hey I'm up for the challenge. Extra points when taken out of context. Though that's a given isn't it. I do reckon Ringmaster is in the lead due to being quoted by Miranda Devine. If only I can get quoted by Gerard Henderson, then I might be able to mount a credible challenge. It'd also get me bragging rights with Yanks R Us.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:
how long great whites live for :?:

shit....it was only last fifty years it was shut down....a big white back from swimming around africa might remember it's a place for a good feed :shock: :idea:
Great whites have a life expectancy of 30-40 years so it's safe to go back out.

Not sure if BB's safe yet - their meatworks officially closed in 1983 but how long before that did they stop dumping offal into Byron Bay :?:

BTW "misanthropic"
adjective: hating mankind in general
▸ adjective: believing the worst of human nature and motives; having a sneering disbelief in e.g. selflessness of others
Miranda Devine suggests that misanthropy is a typical trait of RS forum posters :shock: