Shark attach at North Av

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

K10
Grommet

Shark attach at North Av

Post by K10 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 am

Ninemsn reports

A young surfer has suffered severe leg lacerations in a shark attack on Sydney's northern beaches.

A NSW ambulance spokesman said a boy was being airlifted to hospital after being attacked in the water at the northern end of Avalon Beach, in the city's north, about 6.45am (AEDT).
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/758 ... -at-avalon

Don also has a report on it with a story to come

http://www.realsurf.com/2009/03/01/not- ... est-start/

I hope the young fella comes out of it OK

boardscape avalon
Local

Re: Shark attach at North Av

Post by boardscape avalon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:12 am

im freaking out about this my wife has just called me, all of my mates take their kids and surf nth av on sunday mornings.....

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:51 am

Are you blokes marinading yourselves up there at the moment before going in fark me :shock:

I hope the Noahs up there don't like the taste of Victorians as I'll be up there the week after next.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:57 am

Newspapers....aaaahhh.
I love they way they prioritize current affair issues on a 'need to know now' basis rather than focusing on what really requires our immediate and ongoing attention.

Humans are so f-cked !

Page 1 Shark mauls surfer @ Avalon Beach on Sydney’s Northern Beaches
Page 6 Israel launches rocket attack on a terrorist stronghold, misses and kills a bus load of school children
Page 3 234 Somalia refugees ambushed and beheaded
Page 4 Russian paramilitary group raid village and kill innocent civilians
Page 9 Mass murderer in America strikes 36’th victim

I’m leaning towards a piccie of Vic Hislop holding a big hook and snarling at a picture of a shark.

P.S Best wishes to the kid and i wish him a speedy recovery.
F-ck if something bit mini me Kreepykrawly i certainly would want to kill it.
Last edited by kreepykrawly on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:07 am

as bad as the media are with all of this, lots of people on here will know this family, they are from nth av . the kid and his dad have just been named on the news.please keep this in mind as comments are made...(not saying anything dodgy has been said to date) thanks

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:40 pm

Theyr'e both Avalon surf club members. Apparently they were the only 2 in the water at the time the attack occurred.
I was surfing crappy Palmie this morning thinking that the crowds and the bluebottles were the main problems :oops: .... only heard about the attack when I got home.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:42 pm

There was a 'confirmed shark sighting' at North Steyne about an hour ago. No idea what kind it was, but the clubbies were very anxious to get everyone out.

I've never seen the water so empty, especially on a weekend.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:26 pm

i have been trying warn you all for over a month :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

sparky_12
regular

Post by sparky_12 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:09 pm

yesterday 2 mates and i were at south mid curly. decided to paddle out the very back and catch a set into the sucking up bank close to shore.

once we got out the back we saw something thrashing in the water just a bit more out to see. looked liek a shark to me.

so we went back in, the end.

papa
regular

Post by papa » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:11 pm

sparky_12 wrote:yesterday 2 mates and i were at south mid curly. decided to paddle out the very back and catch a set into the sucking up bank close to shore.

once we got out the back we saw something thrashing in the water just a bit more out to see. looked liek a shark to me.

so we went back in, the end.
That's exactly where I was at around 4:30 - 5.. Didn't see any sharkies thank god...

Nice set waves though yesterday :P

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:44 pm

Hope that young man has a full and speedy recovery. His family must be doing it a bit tough also.

Hate to say it but the shark alarm was on again at Maroubra today.

Shark spotted at the South End

Westpac helicopter doing circles, rubber duckies and jet skis etc.

Becoming a common theme now. Freaking me out a bit. North end surfers stayed out .

Warm up the barbie I'm havin flake tonight. :x

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Was waking the dog at Whaley this morning with the kids-with the intention of taking one of them (Bodhi) for a surf at N Av after.

Saw two young guys on bodyboards out crappy Wedge when walking the dog to check out the fishos-one of which had caught a 4 foot Wobby and left it gutted and dead on the rocks.

Drove to N Av to check it at about 7:00ish after the walk at Whaley only to see a huge crowd, with police, ambos and an ambo helicopter on the grass next the Yellow Brick Road-everyone looked shellshocked-too close to home for many-Andrew was already in the helicopter and was medivac'd out shortly after we left.

Understand the bite was substantial to thigh and calf-but that he was lucid and in good spirits. Heard that Dylan Cram (one of Richard Cram's sons) helped the Andrew's dad get his son out of the water and up the beach.

Imagine the Telegraph will be all over the story with 'man eater terror' images and words.

I understand that hundreds of millions of sharks are killed by humans annually. Not making light of the incident-but we need some perspective not hyperbole and panic.

Wishing Andrew a speedy recovery and hoping he'll be in the line up for the usual May waves.......
Last edited by loco4olas on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:49 pm

firstly i wish this guy and the others who have been attacked lately a speedy recovery
loco4olas wrote:
Imagine the Telegraph will be all over the story with 'man eater terror' images and words.

what exact do you suggest they do :?:

ignore it, pretend it didn't happen :?: :roll:

t

BUT THERE ARE FROCKING BIG SHARKS, IN NUMBERS, IN CLOSE, LIKE I'VE NEVER SEEN B4 :shock:

P.S the results of long lining wiping out the blue fin tuna population :?: :idea: :?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:27 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:firstly i wish this guy and the others who have been attacked lately a speedy recovery
loco4olas wrote:

t

BUT THERE ARE FROCKING BIG SHARKS, IN NUMBERS, IN CLOSE, LIKE I'VE NEVER SEEN B4 :shock:

P.S the results of long lining wiping out the blue fin tuna population :?: :idea: :?
There will be more won't there mustkillmulloway???............it's getting worse every year now. And you were the first to warn us. Well done. How do you deal with your inner most fears mustkillmulloway?

bradad

Post by bradad » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:41 pm

Kunho5 wrote:Hate to say it but the shark alarm was on again at Maroubra today.

Shark spotted at the South End
Not surprising considering there's a grey nurse nest just around from the south headland. :shock: :shock:
How many times you think any of us have been surfing with sharks and not known it ?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Was talking to a mate from the mid north coast on the blower today. Shark attack?
He blames those damn greenies....and for the bush fires although thats less off the planet than the sharks :roll: :roll: Probably responsible for the floods too. Personally, I blame Malcolm Turnbull. :lol: :lol:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:03 pm

hope this kid comes through ok, I really do, hope it doesnt scar him to much and keep him out of the water. :shock:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:28 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:firstly i wish this guy and the others who have been attacked lately a speedy recovery
loco4olas wrote:

t

Oh please-I've seen so many sharks over the years-you're in the ocean of course there's fugging sharks. I don't want to get bitten and I don't want anyone else to get bitten-BUT it's the ocean-I don't have gills, I'm a land animal-and yet we've pushed many shark species to the edge of extinction-and if we do that the whole,ocean eco system will be REALLY fugged up=they're the apex predator and they control the whole system as such. If you're scared of sharks take up roller blading to something more suited to land animal fears......

""All three of these recent attacks have happened around dawn or dusk when aerial patrols would have been no use whatsoever.

"Despite these attacks, there is no evidence to suggest an increase in shark numbers in waters off NSW.

"About six sharks a month are now caught on average in the nets off Sydney. But if we look back more than 70 years ago in the 1930s, for the first 18 months the nets were in operation we were catching an average of 88 sharks a month."

CSIRO scientist and shark expert John Stevens confirmed there was no evidence that shark numbers had increased, and said fishermen's claims were mischievous.

Patrols pointless

Dr Stevens told The Daily Telegraph aerial patrols were pointless.

"Sharks are always there. Most of the time nothing happens," he said. " Daily Telegraph 2/3/09