Shark attach at North Av

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Re: Shark attach at North Av

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:34 am

Coops@DY wrote:Did you know Grey Nurses, like in your sig, have never done a provoked attack on a human. Zero fatalities.
is that so mudslinger :?:

I googled that and immediately found a heap of reports , this quote below came from a paper for the environment minister on the NSW Conservation Council website ...

While it is commonly reported that grey nurse sharks are harmless, data compiled by ISAF records 76 attacks on humans, of which 29 have been classified as unprovoked. Two of those unprovoked attacks have resulted in fatalities.
:roll:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:36 am

Toby wrote:
chrisb wrote:I read somewhere that great whites, and other sharks I presume, are ambush attackers in that they prefer to attack something from behind knowing that they haven't been seen.
The doco I referred to earlier mentioned that and there was certainly a few scenes where they did that - in conjunction with pack tactics. One would swim up to the snorkeller and while he was facing it, distracted, another would come up from behind and lower down beelining towards him. Bit like the "raptors" in Jurassic Park.
That's interesting, did the "pack tactics" apply to great whites or to other species? I read years ago that great whites are generally "loners".

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:45 am

kreepykrawly wrote: The problem is that sharks are biting the wrong people.(why cant the bite the unemployed bankers and loan sharks)
Two possible reasons:

1. Those blokes are on mals &/or SUPs. Less bits dangling over the side maybe?
2. They're unemployed so they don't need to get up for the early, & more likely to be out during the day instead. Dinner at dusk rather than another session.

Just a thought.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:50 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:53 am

chrisb wrote:I read somewhere that great whites, .... are ambush attackers in that they prefer to attack something from behind knowing that they haven't been seen.
:lol:

what the f'ck for ... maybe they think they're are undergunned ... :idea:

leastofbrain is trying to tell me they are developed ... dumbest fish in the sea maybe ...

shark
"hmmm ... I'm 3m long, have an almighty mofo mouth filled with 100's of gnarly sharp teeth, I am insanely powerful and can swim way fast and there is f'uck all on the planet that could beat me in a fight .... I better sneak up this snack swimming by ...
:lol:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:08 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:24 am

http://www.listphile.com/World_Shark_At ... k_Petersen

"In December of 2004 Nick Petersen would be fatally attacked off West Beach near Adelaide. He was surfing behind a boat with two friends and a White Pointer jumped and took the 18 year old under water. It would tear him in half and another White Pointer joined."

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:28 am

chrisb wrote:
grapsta wrote:Here's a question : How many shark attacks don't happen at dawn or dusk ???
h I'm quite sure I will again be reminded that the two SA fatalities in 2000 were on clear days. Nevertheless, it all comes down to risk minimisation, not risk elimination as this will only occur if you give up surfing altogether.
I'm pretty sure the 2nd attack was a pretty grim day weather wise....and hte other guy was surfing at dawn

Tried to google the recent Fingal attack to see what time that happened but no joy...anyone know ?

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:31 am

Mal rider. As the shark carried his body underwater his attached mal was towed bolt upright from the point past his wife and kids sitting on the beach.

"Michael Docherty age 28 was fatally attacked on October 1st, 1992. He was surfing at North Point Beach off of Moreton Island when a 4.2m white shark attacked him and killing him.

Daily Telegraph (Sydney) 10/2/1992 edition; Orlando Sentinel, 10/2/1992, p.A3; A. Sharpe, p.108; A. MacCormick, p.197"

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Hey Grapsta the Fingal attack _ on Jonathon Beard _ was early morning. Great white of 3m plus believed reponsible. Lucky fella as very clean wound, though 40 plus cm scar to show off at pub. Experts reckon whites leave the cleanest bites, and most likely of the big nasty sharks to bite once and release (but not always). The Bondi attack was indeed in heavily overcast conditions and quite murky water.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:23 pm

I would have thought sea turtles would be too crunchy for sharks ?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:21 pm

Like a good crust on a meat pie. The crunch is the thing!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?