Shark attach at North Av

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

philw
Local

Re: Shark attach at North Av

Post by philw » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:41 pm

interesting how sharks get so much sympathy.

why?

snakes and spiders and other nasty bitey things we come into contact with don't get it do they?

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:52 pm

I doont know about all this us and them stuff when it comes to sharks. Clearly they have a place and so do we.

How about coming up with a more sophisticated monitoring system such as sonar like the navy uses. Like a big fish finder.

This way life guards could "see" objects in the water. Electronic devices can be calibrated to a computer to advise of parameters eg size of object,speed, depth and distance from shore etc.

An alarm could warn an operator of potential objects of interest.

I am pretty sure most surfers would put in some coin for a bit better tech system than randomly waiting to see a shark. :?:

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:53 pm

Surfin Turf wrote: ....if that was a dangerous dog that attacked someone walking down the street it'd be dead by now ... we put murderers in gaol , so sharks should be punished too ... whales, dolpins and seals are beautiful creatures , sharks suck ...
Each year more people choke on shark then are attacked by them.

So let's ban all fish & chips shops! F*cken Con the Killer peddling his dangerous fare to all the hungry punters who think it's a piece of harmless flake.

Only then will we be safe....

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:03 pm

firstly ... this a thread about a 15 year boy who got seriously injured and he or people he know's may read it , so if I can have one favour this year could I ask that a level of decorum is maintained unlike the last thread about the bondi attack ...

lessorless and rozbig ... please point out to everyone the part of my post that says we should kill everything ... maybe I'm too much of a moron but I can't actually see the words kill, wipe-out, make extinct etc... if you can't either then here's some advice from one moron to another ... read first, then blame someone else who disagree's with the point of view that you dreamed up in your head ...

dino ... I was away all weekend and got in late last night so I never got a chance to catch up on all the media hype, I didn't even know about it till last night ... so if I am guilty of sounding like ACA or alike it was not intentional and was certainly not trying to make light of the situation ...
Surfin Turf wrote:whales, dolpins and seals are beautiful creatures , sharks suck ...
this was in relation to the people who always say that sharks are beautiful creatures just after something like this happens ... well that can be their opinion ... my opinion is as per above ... that simple ...

yanks ... your an idiot and have completely lost your grasp on reality ... nothing more to say ...

the crux of my original post was to raise that the boy was probably lucky he was wearing a wettie and it may have saved him from further attack thankfully ... also that I don't like sharks and it p!sses me off when they attack someone always jumps to defend the shark that gets off scott free afterwards ...

my eldest daughter knows this boy and a lot of his school mates so spare a thought that someone might actually be serious as opposed to trying to win moron of the year award .... :idea:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Metallica devoted their first album to this issue...

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:firstly ... this a thread about a 15 year boy who got seriously injured and he or people he know's may read it , so if I can have one favour this year could I ask that a level of decorum is maintained unlike the last thread about the bondi attack ...
Surfin, this is the RealSurf forums you know. You've got a better chance of getting your dog not to shit in the neighbours front yard.

Surfin Turf wrote:yanks ... your an idiot and have completely lost your grasp on reality ... nothing more to say ...
Ah Yanks. He's like the Steve Price of Real Surf. It'd be better for all if he was the Stan Zemanak though.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:33 pm

Kunho5 wrote:This way life guards could "see" objects in the water. Electronic devices can be calibrated to a computer to advise of parameters eg size of object,speed, depth and distance from shore etc.
An alarm could warn an operator of potential objects of interest.
I am pretty sure most surfers would put in some coin for a bit better tech system than randomly waiting to see a shark. :?:
And laser beams. I want frickin laser beams.
No, wait. Trained attack narwhals! Yeah...

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:36 pm

Karlos wrote:Surfin, this is the RealSurf forums you know. You've got a better chance of getting your dog not to shit in the neighbours front yard.

I know karlos ... but I did ask for a favour trying to appeal to the inner good that I know is deep inside all real surfers ... :idea:

wait a minute ... well f'ck me if it isn't a flying pig ... :shock: who'd a thunk I'd see a flying pig go by ... :?

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:41 pm

Rip Curl need to bring out designer tourniquet's which you can tie your key onto that also come with a wax comb. At least you would have access to one in an emergency.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:10 pm

loco4olas wrote:
CSIRO scientist and shark expert John Stevens confirmed there was no evidence that shark numbers had increased, and said fishermen's claims were mischievous.
I though John Stevens was the ex-lead singer of Aussie pub rock band Noiseworks. Since when did he become a shark expert?
Why not play Noiseworks albums at sub-audible levels to deter sharks?
You could have a little device hanging off your legrope playing MP3's into the water.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:30 pm

An idiot? Easy to say; I wonder which bits of what I wrote was wrong :?

Damn right Karlos. Steve price eh, well I suppose we're both built about the same :wink:

But back to reality, hope the kid gets back onto the mend. Awful thing to happen and very unlucky.

And surfin turf, what should we do with people who accidently hurt other people? Like in a car crash or strong tackle. Should we single them out and murder the buggers, even if they didn't mean it? Nice logic...idiot. :shock: :|

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:37 pm

lambert wrote:
loco4olas wrote:CSIRO scientist and shark expert John Stevens confirmed there was no evidence that shark numbers had increased, and said fishermen's claims were mischievous.
is he talking about the total population of sharks or the presense along the east coast? becuase i know for a fact this year has seen the biggest habitual mating migration in the history sharks(being tagged)to the sth qld/nth nsw coast
Wow, you know more than the CSIRO and NSW Primary Industries combined...."for a fact"! Even though it's the CSIRO who does the white shark tagging! And PI spent almost 30 years tracking shark numbers from the mid-70s through to this decade! Genius.

Surf'n, honestly you can't put a shark in prison without allowing it some sort of defence. Not to worry -- the nets off Sydney, Wollongong and Newcastle will end up killing about 75 of the bastards this season. So that's 75 dead versus three wounded. I think we ALL KNOW who's winning this little legal showdown.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:45 pm

yanks r us wrote:An idiot? Easy to say ....

what should we do with people who accidently hurt other people? Like in a car crash or strong tackle. Should we single them out and murder the buggers, even if they didn't mean it? Nice logic...idiot. :shock: :|
even easier now after that .... :idea:

here's some logic for you yanks, a shark does not accidently attack a person ...

it seems as usual that shark attack threads end up with many defending the actions of the poor shark ... :? :roll:

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:52 pm

dinosaur wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/national/he-saw-n ... ml?page=-1

" longtime local Roy Leggo paddled out to show "North Av" surfers have no fear." blah blah blah "Dylan Cram" blah blah blah "Richard Cram"....
fk those journo's are the worst name droppers eh!
dinosaur wrote:That almost describes Wanto to a T. Except he's more of a struggling IT Gen Y. After the next dot com boom though, when he sells his coffee order tracking software for a bomb. Look out.
lol, can't argue with that. except i've resigned to never make anything worth any money so i can keep my '(young) old surf dog' status within the fearless north av community.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:55 pm

dinosaur wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:
Larry wrote:I am not an ' old surf dog ' - and I am considering a class action, as soon as I find me trousers...
Speak to me about class actions if you like old man......... :twisted: 8)

Before you do Larry, best to know that Buff Brad's idea of class action is holing up in a gold coast apartment with a heap of special K, Rohypnol and Amyl and partying with a couple of rowers from the Cranbrook Ist VIII he picked up at schoolies week.
I wish that was my idea/experience of a "class" action (well maybe the Sceggs Darlo netball team :twisted: ) sorearse.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
yanks r us wrote:An idiot? Easy to say ....

what should we do with people who accidently hurt other people? Like in a car crash or strong tackle. Should we single them out and murder the buggers, even if they didn't mean it? Nice logic...idiot. :shock: :|
even easier now after that .... :idea:

here's some logic for you yanks, a shark does not accidently attack a person ...

it seems as usual that shark attack threads end up with many defending the actions of the poor shark ... :? :roll:
Surfin are you really THAT dumb or taking the piss because if not you are one hell of a fcuking idiot.

Heaps of attacks (most I would imagine) by sharks are accidental because mostly they don't end up consuming the "prey". Also even if they weren't accidental what gives us the right to murder the shark? Just because your daughter half knows the guy blah blah big deal. An unfortunate accident that's all. Surfin............back in your box pal. :twisted: And don't come out (pun intended) till Buff_Brad says so.

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Can I have laser beams...............too. :mrgreen:

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:33 pm

and I suppose you accidently stick d!cks in you mouth ... :idea:

so what you're saying is that sharks swim around with their eyes shut while biting , until something accidently floats into their mouth or they accidently bump into something ... yeah that makes sense ... sorry everyone ... I'm such an idiot ...

and I didn't say my daughter half knows blah blah ... I said my daughter knows him and his school mates who are presently concerned for their mate who got hurt ...