danw's WCT 2009 thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

Re: danw's WCT 2009 thread

Post by marcus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:39 am

thanks hano
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:04 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:they all surf same really :?

i'm tipping a aussie this year....too help our struggling surf market out :idea:

:
i soooo called it :idea: :mrgreen:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:54 am

I couldn't be more stoked for Parko - solid effort.

After the finals it struck me about how psyched Pottz got in the booth on some of the rides (both from Adriano and Parko). It then struck me on how difficult the conditions were and that if there were no ski assists it would've probably beena tweo wave final! There was so much water moving around it is incredible they got the waves they got. Truly great final, bring on Bells!

I think Parko is going to have a cracking shot at the title, he is usually good at Bells so we should hopefully see at least a third from that. Chopes is hit and miss (depends on size), he usually does well iN Brazil and being winter this time might bring some better swell!. If he could come out with a few finals berths and some 3rds he'll be laughing.

Mick does look pretty intense again though, so hopefully with the two of them they will nullify Slater and bring a close race for the aussies!

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:12 am

marcus_h wrote:Nambour actually Trev - havent you seen the waves out there??
Hahahaha, good call Marcus :lol:

And Mark, yep you're right... Kelly did go on to win number 8 that year. I reckon this year is going to be a cracker on the WCT :!:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:45 am

for what it's worth, something interesting about Parko's effort. Two things actually.

- In the past, some doubts have been raised about his ability to fully exploit the attention of the judges -- particularly in the latter stages of an event. Parko has been one of the most regular winners of round one heats in the history of the current tour. But he often seemed stymied in the quarters and semi rounds, when his very smooth and subtle turn transitions would often be out-"showed" by more flamboyant opponents.

At the Quik, there were some noticeable differences in Parko's performances. He worked turns, arms swinging to exaggerate the turn peaks, and made a deliberate attempt to vary the effect from turn to turn, jumping from carve to snap to cuttie to rebound. At times, especially during later heats (including the two he surfed yesterday) I coulda sworn I was watching Andy Irons -- there's always been some subtle connections between their styles, but Parko's emphasis on making it clear to the judges what he was doing, and working on variety (AI's greatest strength) made the connection more obvious.

And oh yeah - he didn't win his first round heat. By winning the event, he became one of the 15% of event winners who manage to win from the second losers round. This shows an above-average mental strength which you can't help tie to the physical training he's undergone off-season. 10k runs in the hinterland hills ... iron-man sets with Wes Berg ... all kinds of crap. Physically this year Joel has gone from being a semi-boy to being a full on adult male, and you can't help but think maybe he's gone there in his head too.

- AI not being on tour leaves a massive gap. Seems like Joel and Mick are the guys expanding to fill it. I'm sure Joel would love Andy his mate to be around, but at the same time, Andy's absence is giving Joel more room. That'll sort itself out through the year but for the next coupla events, Parko will be able to run into that gap.

Kelly's gonna have to produce some super gold for this 10th title.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:08 pm

given ^ analysis and my 2c after watching this event: Kelly does not get a 10th world title, he remains @ nine forevermore. The boys are all growed up ... :mrgreen:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Clif wrote:given ^ analysis and my 2c after watching this event: Kelly does not get a 10th world title, he remains @ nine forevermore. The boys are all growed up ... :mrgreen:
Big call...after one event :shock:

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Good read Nick and thanks for sharing your insights with the rest of the RSers.

I have often read that Parko has often been scored 'down' because he's just too stylish for his own good. This has always confused me. You have also raised the point in this paragraph:
Nick Carroll wrote: - In the past, some doubts have been raised about his ability to fully exploit the attention of the judges -- particularly in the latter stages of an event. Parko has been one of the most regular winners of round one heats in the history of the current tour. But he often seemed stymied in the quarters and semi rounds, when his very smooth and subtle turn transitions would often be out-"showed" by more flamboyant opponents.
My question is: shouldn't judges at the highest level of surfing competition have the experience and expertise to distinguish 'good surfing' regardless of whether it is "smooth and subtle" or "flamboyant"? If the 'lines drawn on a wave' are 'good', how can good or bad style be brought into the judging criteria as style is a truly subjective matter in itself?

Was Curren ever underscored because he was deemed to have better 'style' than most of his contemporaries?

I'm no pro-surfing historian or expert on surfing technique so I might be missing something obvious here...

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 pm

This is unrelated,but there are a few Qlds reading this thread-has anyone spotted any of the 31 shipping containers floating around up your way.Along with the oil slick they would have to be a major hazard to have floating around up there.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

danw
regular

Post by danw » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:18 pm

marcus wrote:anyone know a link to see replays? please

on a side note, is Ace Cool's name his real name?

do you mean adrian ACE buchan marcus??
if so no, its a nickname

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:21 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:My question is: shouldn't judges at the highest level of surfing competition have the experience and expertise to distinguish 'good surfing' regardless of whether it is "smooth and subtle" or "flamboyant"? If the 'lines drawn on a wave' are 'good', how can good or bad style be brought into the judging criteria as style is a truly subjective matter in itself?

Was Curren ever underscored because he was deemed to have better 'style' than most of his contemporaries?
well I don't know if it's quite that simple. Parko was having no trouble separating himself from the 45's lower orders (see his relentless round one winning streaks). He only began running into difficulties when facing the events' other high achievers -- guys who surf right on his level.

All things being equal then, yeah, a little flash does help occasionally. Pro surfing is a show, and the showmen often get the benefit of the doubt. Mr Curren was not above this, I can tell ya -- he'd flick his head around and tweak the tip of his top turn with the best of 'em. Cripes look at his fabled heat with Occ at Bells in 86. What a coupla fcuken showoffs! :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Ringmaster wrote:No doubt surfing's version of Wikipedia (Nick Carroll) could elaborate on that if he reads this.
Fcuk you, Ringmaster! No more freebies!