tell me what good surfing is

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

tell me what good surfing is

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 pm

i'm a bit confused

is it jumping up and down and running up and down at feverish rate :?:

or grace and style and minimal movement :?:

or somewhere in between

p.s if i see the same bloke i saw today in the water eva again....

i'm gonna poke my own eyes out because it be less painfull than watching him surf
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: tell me what good surfing is

Post by Grooter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:34 am

Anything except when you attack a wave like some fire-ant with ADD on an ice-bender.

mainly because I'll never be good enough to do it!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

danw
regular

Post by danw » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:27 am

^^ what is good surfing, i doubt you find better example.
have watched this number of times myself. its wave consequence to me and kelly appears to be 'playing with it'.
i can only admire

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:37 am

Tom Curren.
Understated, on rail, completely graceful.
Tom Carroll at Pipe for pure ticker.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:59 am

agree with above .... excellent examples in my opinion ...

gracefully controlling an agressive move in a critical spot ... (not just smashing a speculater as in most of the big air stuff ... which is good to watch for a while)

I love watching a guy paddle into a massive drop or pull into a grinding barrel ... that's where skill and control meets your balls in unison ...

in a race car situation cornering is described as performing an emergency breaking manouver and taking it to the brink of losing control ... but look at how gracefull those guys make it look ... that's how I liken the approach by the likes of those surfers mentioned above ...

danw
regular

Post by danw » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:27 pm

steve shearer wrote:Tom Curren.
Understated, on rail, completely graceful.
Tom Carroll at Pipe for pure ticker.

i dont think tom curren understated at all, not in my book.
i reckon gaurd has given example of good surfing that could only be eqauled. of coursewould i of mentioned loads of other surfers that i enjoy watching, but thought the kelly clip better than good surfing.

what about those bottom turns :shock:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:05 pm

Laurie Towner today at 4-6ft Point...smooth, casual, flowing and not a big head...His first wave was a 6ft keg, really hollow one that doubled up and broke close to the rocks, quite a deep section and never looked like not making it, still had dry hair when he kicked out...Have seen him surf before but today he was killing it...we will hear more about him.... 8)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:48 pm

danw wrote:
Not understated? What, overstated?
Understated, effortless, more flow in his big toe than Slater has in his whole body.
Alot of Slater's style has been based on release and recovery in radical situations.
I don't find that pleasing to the eye.
Curren always drove a pure line and made the difficult look easy.
This is just aesthetics, but no modern surfer except for Rasta has broken away from the Slater line.
Parko could but doesn't.(often enough).

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:50 pm

pridmore wrote:Laurie Towner today at 4-6ft Point..
Fark, if I'd known it was that big down there I would have driven down.
Laurie's been well schooled by Baddie.

danw
regular

Post by danw » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:38 pm

steve shearer wrote:
danw wrote:
Not understated? What, overstated?
Understated, effortless, more flow in his big toe than Slater has in his whole body.
Alot of Slater's style has been based on release and recovery in radical situations.
I don't find that pleasing to the eye.
Curren always drove a pure line and made the difficult look easy.
This is just aesthetics, but no modern surfer except for Rasta has broken away from the Slater line.
Parko could but doesn't.(often enough).

i stiill dont think you could find a better description of what good surfing is than the kelly clip @ somewhere

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:20 pm

steve shearer wrote:[.
Laurie's been well schooled by Baddie.
what :?:

shakes his head alot and pretends prey too god like it's the greatest eva wave eva after a head dip :?:

i want know about good surfing what does it look like :?: :?: ....not posing for cameras :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:20 pm

Those guys who make it look effortless and have that glide thing happening whether they are going hard or cruising
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:43 pm

I don't know if this is a circular definition, but to me great surfing is surfing that shocks and surprises me. To do that, you've (they've?) got to take risks by putting themselves into spaces and situations that you don't expect them to get out from ... and then they do. And it's better if they do with ease and composure and control. Sounds like the ASP judging criteria, eh?

What was surprising in Curren's day is of course much less surprising today, so it's hard for him to come out ahead in any objective comparision - but the memory tells us that Curren was great because we remember how we reacted to what he did. Truth is that most guys in the top 100 is the QS today are better now than Curren was then.

Clarky
regular

Post by Clarky » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:29 am

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 am

I think there's a lot of good surfers.

Good surfing to me is done with confidence and flow and an ongoing awareness of yourself, the board and the wave, and also the area of water you're inhabiting. You're in the right spot a lot, even when there isn't a right spot, and that includes paddling out, positioning, the whole picture. You exert your energies to good effect.

Curren et al isn't good surfing, it's fcuken GREAT surfing. That's a few levels up from good.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:21 am

grazza wrote:Truth is that most guys in the top 100 is the QS today are better now than Curren was then.
Sorry grazza, most guys in the top 100 of the WQS wish they could clean Tom Curren's dirty wax off his board.

Take away his example and that of Pottz, Occ, lil brother, Kelly, Taj, Mick, Parko, AI, BI and on and on, and half of 'em wouldn't surf as good as me.

Most pro surfers today surf OK, just as they did 25 years ago ... they just appear taller because (as in the lame old saw) they're standing on the shoulders of giants.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:26 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
grazza wrote:Truth is that most guys in the top 100 is the QS today are better now than Curren was then.
Sorry grazza, most guys in the top 100 of the WQS wish they could clean Tom Curren's dirty wax off his board.

Take away his example and that of Pottz, Occ, lil brother, Kelly, Taj, Mick, Parko, AI, BI and on and on, and half of 'em wouldn't surf as good as me.

Most pro surfers today surf OK, just as they did 25 years ago ... they just appear taller because (as in the lame old saw) they're standing on the shoulders of giants.
THIS. well said.

danw
regular

Post by danw » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:26 am

i've been reading about clay m last year or so.
i reckon we might be seeing more of clay in the future.

some surfers i've enjoyed watching over the years(not sure how else to explain)
mark richards, luke egan, reno ab, gerry lopez, kelly slater, shawn briley(pipeline), tom curren, shane beschen, hobgoods, cheyn horan, glen winton. tom carrol, martin potter, margo occy and more.

style/grace & fluidity would be the most common things i consistintly work on. im a bit unco at best of times so finding my style will be ongoing thing