Wetsuit outlet/seconds store

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

kuba
regular

Wetsuit outlet/seconds store

Post by kuba » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Anyone know of any wetsuit outlet/seconds stores in Sydney? My steamer had its last winter several winters ago and I can't face another July of uncontrollable shivering, nor can I face the $400-500 for this seasons latest hi-tech thing.
Where do other cheapskates like me get their wetties? :lol:
-K

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Wetsuit outlet/seconds store

Post by pridmore » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:53 pm

try a brand called 'Tiki' , think its connected to Hot Buttered and I got a full steamer for 190 and its lasted me 2 good surfing seasons... 8)

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:27 pm

surfection ar mosman has a wetsuit sale on...its been goin for 3yrs :shock:

usually a banner on the rs homepage :?

they unload all last seasons stock. i got my last steamer in march 3yrs ago....billabong gold solution zipperless....awesome suit, or should i now say, whats left of it :twisted:

but it retailed for 570, got it for bout 300. got cheaper ones though.

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Quikky shop at Mona Vale did a $100 cashback on old wetties a year or so ago. Maybe ask if they're doing it again this season.
Ebay has stuff too although can be a bit a of a lottery

kuba
regular

Post by kuba » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:06 am

thanks for the tips, all.
apropos the never-ending wetsuit sale at mosman surfection; it has either ended or was a hoax. i dropped by there a few days ago and the too-cool-for-school shop assistant looked confused when i mentioned a sale. "nah, that must've been a while ago," he said.
"it's on your website," i insisted.
he shrugged his shoulders and offered me a wettie before i'd even explained what i'm after.
what a shame that there aren't any other surf shops in sydney and i'm forced to have to buy my wettie there...:roll:
also, pridmore: where did you find that Tiki suit of which you speak?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:03 am

Yep the phantom Surfection Mosman sale. Publicised on their website, RealSurf, & f*ck knows where else. Not to forget the signage up above their doorway that you can't miss travelling down Military Road. Got suckered into that a year or two back. Same result in the knowledgeless shop assistant looking mightily confused before showing me a full-price suit. I made a point of buying elsewhere that day. F*ck 'em. The Mosman longboarders can have' em.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:36 am

Anyone own or tried one of those Radiator suits?

http://www.radiator.net

Their ads pop up occasionally on RS, & there are a couple of reviews out there, but nothing that convinces me that they're legit (the reviews, not the company). They're certainly cheap & sound good but I'd be interested in a comparison to the major brands.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:13 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glide
regular

Post by Glide » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Rip Curl/Peak have a factory outlet and seconds store in Birkenhead Shopping Centre Drummoyne.

I'd call before you go though as the sizes and styles available at any one time vary greatly

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:44 am

^^^ don't bother with birkenhead anymore, last few times I've been there it's just kids sizes
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Forward planning is whats required.
Buy your spring suit in early to mid winter. Buy your steamer in mid summer. Doesn't really matter where you go: previous season stock will be discounted. I got my ONeill Psycho for 30% off in Nowra last year... ( but its hell trying on steamers in a tiny change room in the middle of summer....)
Also theres a cheap website called wetsuitwearhouse.com or something like that..
Erase.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:34 pm

"at least 200% mark up.." :shock:

Dino your fu(ken tripping, you have obviously never worked retail or wholesale

buying out of season as mentioned is the best way to get the best price or at least towards the end of the season when all the vertical stores go 40% off across the board and fu(k it for everybody else

danw
regular

Post by danw » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:02 pm

bro wrote:"at least 200% mark up.." :shock:

Dino your fu(ken tripping, you have obviously never worked retail or wholesale

buying out of season as mentioned is the best way to get the best price or at least towards the end of the season when all the vertical stores go 40% off across the board and fu(k it for everybody else

i have always bought my steamers in summer, as i thought most surfers did??

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:19 pm

dinosaur wrote:[
, I have never worked in retail.
toesm
toes :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:42 am

dinosaur wrote: they have at least a 200% mark up so even at 50% off retail the shop is still making money.
Not exactly ;).

In retail the margin is 100 - 110% for wetsuits, removable fins, deck grip, legropes and boardbags, although clothes ( QuikRipaBong ) sometimes have a slightly higher markup. Note also that chain stores ( SDS, Jetty etc. ) typically negotiate better prices with suplliers than honest joe's surf shop, so say in the case of SDS a 3/2mm O'Neill Psyhco II that retails for $579.95, they probably bought it wholesale for $200 - $240 ( incl GST ).

Now, don't get me started on why the advertised price of any *current* steamer you choose is identical across all the stores... :roll:

I'm already awaiting the bolt of ligthning for the comments above. ;)

just4fun

Post by just4fun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi, i bought a steamer from Wing 4 or 5 years back - off the rack, not sealed. it has done well, but i am looking for a sealed suit this time round. the good thing about wing is that they have always looked after me with repairs. i will probably go back there again, but the custom is too much $$ for me. also considering 'point break' at bronte - cheap suits sound OK (but not keen on the large chest graphic) - has anyone had any dealings with these suits??

birko

Post by birko » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:03 pm

kuba wrote:Anyone know of any wetsuit outlet/seconds stores in Sydney? My steamer had its last winter several winters ago and I can't face another July of uncontrollable shivering, nor can I face the $400-500 for this seasons latest hi-tech thing.
Where do other cheapskates like me get their wetties? :lol:
-K
Hey guys just letting know Rip Curl @ Birkenhead Point have just recieved a large shipment of last seasons Rip Curl steamers. E-Bomb Pros, Chest Zip E-Bombs Pros, 2'2 Short sleeve E-Bomb Pro Steamers, Fireskins in 3'2 and 4'3 varieties. Definately worth a look.
Any queries call 9181 4002.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:28 pm

just got a new suit from Fox Surfsuits at Tweed, its awesome, definitely worth a try if anyones keen, great prices too....