Nat Young Interview

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

sean--
barnacle

Re: Nat Young Interview

Post by sean-- » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:31 am

steve shearer wrote:Yeah, your probably right RM. Just can't stand anonymous cheap shots from the sidelines.
Nat and his wife Ti fed me and a mate for free one night when we didn't have two coins to rub together.
Yes, he's pulled a few raw angles , also done a few great things.
Deserves more than to be called a cnut by some anonymous internet hero.
So what did you guys have for tea :?:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:42 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:WHEN NAT WAS BASHED....and sold his story for cash

he was quoted as saying he was going use the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

too educate surfers and put up sign boards at popular breaks

can you ask him if that eva happened :?

p.s oh....and can you ask him about his worst shark experience :idea: ....

cause u wasting your breath thinkin u get a answer too the first one :roll:

p.p.s and can you post a link ya show...i've lost it while back :oops:
I've see one at Steamer Lane but don't know if it came before Nat's bashing.

I read in one of his books that he's never seen sharks when he's been in the surf (those poor bastards at Wooloomooloo & Bondi probably didn't see them either).

My question for Nat:
What do you think the reason is that many other surfers dislike you? If it's the "tall poppy syndrome" then why is it that other successful surfers such as Midget, MR & Rabbit are highly regarded by most?

I fear that this question may be too close to the bone.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:19 pm

lennoxlineup.jpg
lennoxlineup.jpg (12.06 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
I reckon the reason Nat is disliked (by some, I certainly wouldn't take this forum as a representative sample), is because he leads with his mouth and is capable of breathtaking hypocrisy.
Fer instance, the whole Morning of the Earth, "I wish I said surfing was an artform" etc etc trip whilst being one of the most aggressive and competitve surfers of all time is just mind boggling.
Far as I know the whole wacking the retarted kid in the head scenario was a case of mistaken identity for which Nat apologised for.
He's put up signs with his own dough at Broken Head and the Pass that I know of.
I'd say Bugs paid just as heavy a price for being cocky and arrogant.
Dino, with all due respect, because you might be a half-decent bloke in real life for all I know, you do a pretty good line in mean spirited little cheap shots.
Why don't you mix it up a little, it's getting predictable.
Here's a photo of Lennox point this morning. Cranking.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:31 pm

steve shearer wrote: Dino, with all due respect, because you might be a half-decent bloke in real life for all I know, you do a pretty good line in mean spirited little cheap shots.
Why don't you mix it up a little, it's getting predictable.
"Half-decent bloke"??? don't stretch things Steve.....

Yeah Dino mix it up a little..........Asian Marching Boys , Hairy Bears , Drag Queens and other assorted twinks. Good advice Steve. Well done.

Hey Steve tell Nat I treated his daughter Naomi with the utmost respect.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:40 pm

steve shearer wrote:Oh, bring on the internet scuttlebutt and rumours from internet warriors.
Qu.3: Nat, would you ever give a flying fcuck about anonymous internet cock-smokers who post annoying little parasitic posts which generally show them up to be small-minded and bitter losers ?
chill out steve hes a fuckwit an nats that! he never gave any respect done so many suss things....and after getting a total flogging at anga, turned around and wrote a book on doing the right thing in the surf...( jeez if he only practised what he preached,) ... realized everybody was off him sold out of angourie, and pissed off to the u.s... when he lived at palmy all those years ago it was the same...mate hes packed up and moved out of more places than greg webber...p.s my name is bevan moloney .. before you go on with your standard quote of calling people with a diff opinion to you an internet coward...

danw
regular

Post by danw » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:11 pm

sunday 15 feb lennox.jpg
i no see anything like this today. by the looks of it some had fun
sunday 15 feb lennox.jpg (12.06 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
[a
Last edited by danw on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:28 pm

^^^^kirra was good early this morning also.....very crowded along that entire bank by 10am though...but jeez lennox looks like it may have been better..

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Funny thing is how down on the big fella the people in his imediate vicinity are. Its a Nthrn Beaches thing I guess. I sure didn't grow up anywhere near him and I can't think of anyone up Queensland way who's had such a bad rap. Maybe its part of his god like status in the mags back in the old days thanks to the Witzigs?

All I remember as a grommie was guys a bit older than me saying if you took off inside him at the pass and fell off he'd belt you and tell you to go in. Only saw him surf once at a very ordinary day at Anga a million years ago.

Please stop showing us really great surfing pictures from the north coast since it is cruel and heartless to torture us Sydneysiders given the absolute dross of the last month down here.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Onlt two times I've had anything to do with him were out at Currumbin Alley one day where he seemed to fit in OK (may have been filming for Endless Summer 2) and when I took my daughter to Brookvale to see said movie and he and his family came and sat down beside us. They sat quietly throughout. But I waited until he came on screen before I pointed him out to my daughter. Her face was worth the price of admission alone. :lol:
But he's certainly attracted his share of criticism over the years. These stories always seem to grow in stature with each re-telling but, of course, normally there's no smoke without fire. Having said that, some people handle public scrutiny better than others and if you are in the public eye, sometimes even the smallest indiscretions can damage your reputation.
Also this thread has a couple of first hand stories (like Larry's) which don't have any third person exaggerations to make them worse.

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:30 pm

the best nat story ive heard was that he got raided by the cops while staying at the kirra pub with a heap of hash,he broke free ,the pigs chased him to tweed river where nat bolted to freedom by diving into the tweed river, swimming away into the darkness....mmm hash

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:48 pm

lennnnylineup.jpg
boardscape avalon wrote:..p.s my name is bevan moloney .. before you go on with your standard quote of calling people with a diff opinion to you an internet coward...
Ease up mate, i could give a rats if you've got a different opinion.
Call me old fashioned but taking anonymous cheap shots is lame. I never called it cowardly, but your right, it is.
From what I can gather directly your pissed off with Nat because he got bashed to within an inch of his life and then wrote a book about surf rage.
The rest is second hand rumour and bulshitt.
I was at a gathering shortly after Nat got bashed called the Spirit of Surfing where a very humble and recovering Nat Young spoke of his desire to erect signs which dealt with surf etiquette to try and prevent violent incidents in the surf.
This he did.
What the hell have you given back to surfing?
I used to work for a bloke called Lester Brien who was Nat's solicitor for a few of his brushes with the law.
The cops in Byron were deadset cnuts back in the day and Nat stood up to them and took the rap.
I was up at Coolie after I surfed the Ox.
Spot X looked good. Kirra's still a close-out.
Here's another line-up shot of the Ox.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:58 pm

silvafish wrote:the best nat story ive heard was that he got raided by the cops while staying at the kirra pub with a heap of hash,he broke free ,the pigs chased him to tweed river where nat bolted to freedom by diving into the tweed river, swimming away into the darkness....mmm hash
But if the cops knew who he was (which I assume was the stuation as others passed on this story) why didn't they just extradite him? More so if this incident occurred after his first proven drug offence.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:06 pm

steve shearer wrote: Call me old fashioned but taking anonymous cheap shots is lame. Ix.

firstly....it's the net

it's not your local pub. club or bowlo...so yeah....deal with or be old fashioned

it's quite interesting see how some people have this "need" to identify themselfs and than somehow past themselfs off as our moral superiors :roll:

go for it i say

it's the net....end day no one really gives two shits :idea:

steve....if u need everyones address and name you may prefer rmewtwafussions forum :idea:

boring as batshit

but it's all totally controlled and very safe surfing

i'm not gonna give you my name

simply because I DON'T FU.CKING HAVE TOO

i guess one nats golden rules after he copped a flogging is

"don't punch grommets in the lineup when there dad is watching" :roll:

did he stick that on his surf courtesy boards :?:

nat may well have mellowed as his bones have yellowed

but mine and alot others experience with him in the line up in the past is his a no 1 dickhead

and i'll save my hero worship for others much more deserving :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:13 pm

there was this other time at mona vale back about 1975 and here I am pulling into a massive (smallish) gaping (wide ish) barrell right in front of the champ who was paddling out at the time.
bang goes the barrel, off I go, away goes me board, just misses his nibs by a hair - but he grabs it (no leggie) and when I get to the surface he pushes back to me, grins, and calls me a f.cken purist.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:22 pm

steve shearer wrote:
lennnnylineup.jpg
boardscape avalon wrote:..p.s my name is bevan moloney .. before you go on with your standard quote of calling people with a diff opinion to you an internet coward...
Ease up mate, i could give a rats if you've got a different opinion.
Call me old fashioned but taking anonymous cheap shots is lame. I never called it cowardly, but your right, it is.
From what I can gather directly your pissed off with Nat because he got bashed to within an inch of his life and then wrote a book about surf rage.
The rest is second hand rumour and bulshitt.
I was at a gathering shortly after Nat got bashed called the Spirit of Surfing where a very humble and recovering Nat Young spoke of his desire to erect signs which dealt with surf etiquette to try and prevent violent incidents in the surf.
This he did.
What the hell have you given back to surfing?
I used to work for a bloke called Lester Brien who was Nat's solicitor for a few of his brushes with the law.
The cops in Byron were deadset cnuts back in the day and Nat stood up to them and took the rap.
I was up at Coolie after I surfed the Ox.
Spot X looked good. Kirra's still a close-out.
Here's another line-up shot of the Ox.
ive given plenty back to the sport steve, i just never had to make a big song and dance about it. sounds as though nat and yourself have plenty in common as you dont have any reguard for other peoples opinnion or nor could you care.. as far as the 2nd hand rummor and scuttlebut point you make.i grew up on the far northern beaches(whale) and witnessed many of nats actions 1st hand .im not pissed off with nat young at all , if anything i think its all a bit sad ... i do think you are a freaken tool though... :lol:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:24 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote: i'm not gonna give you my name

simply because I DON'T FU.CKING HAVE TOO
Hang on to that anonymity for all it's worth mate.
It's obviously a prize posession.
By the way, we call 'em jew up here.

I think it's more interesting why people create these false personas to hide behind while they spend vast amounts of time talking shit with other false personas.
Which I could give a fcuck about.
And while Nat's far from a hero, especially in my eyes, he is a real person with a family, some of whom I know well and if your gunna call him a cnut then have the sack to say it in your own name.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:37 pm

there was this other time when I decided to take the little lady to mobys for dinner, this was when when the joint had that pool table martin potter owned - and here we are sitting down to dinner by the window and on the other side of a partition about ten local lads were having a quiet friday night drink when someone dropped a screen down and started to play a surfing movie featuring the subject of this thread

well, these blokes spotted nat and got so cranky about the movie I had to get up - go over - and ask them if they didn't mind watching their f.cking language - a bloke is having dinner here with a lady of you don't mind.

that settled them

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:43 pm

steve shearer wrote:[

I think it's more interesting why people create these false personas to hide behind while they spend vast amounts of time talking shit with other false personas.
maybe some us have a family and more than a clue of just how many frocking weirdo's are out there :idea:

it take me less than 5 minutes find out where u live steve

think about it :!:

it's all fun and giggles till some mental case turns up and assaults your wifes and kids

( and i'm certainly not wishing that on you or anyone else...)

but they are out there :shock:

so the reason why people hide behind false personas or there nicknames ( I HATE MINE :x )

is because they value there familys safety just a we bit higher than having justify themselfs on the net...too who :?:

you :?

and even thu you don't like it......i'm thinking that about 98% people using the net don't have a problem with it :roll:

push hard mate :roll:

p.s down your way weeks time if ya want hook up for a wave :idea: 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?