Shark attack at Bondi

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

regular

Re: Shark attack at Bondi

Post by 8 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:39 pm

munch wrote:^^^ what about the bait fish, if you eat them your somewhere in the middle aren't youse :?:

stupid is.
Yeah maybe but what if the seagull I just ate chowed on some baitfish? Sitting pretty.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:13 pm

this from regional nsw

so i guess because it isn't sydney it doesn't count :roll:

http://www.portnews.com.au/news/local/n ... 42759.aspx

i'll say it again

BIG SHARKS IN NUMBERS IN CLOSE FEEDING THIS YEAR :!:

DON'T SURF EARLY OR LATE :!: :!: :!: :!: :idea:

once the sun is on the water.....you fully increase your chances of keeping your arms and legs
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:59 pm

I was out this morning at Maroubra. Really beautiful morning. a few fishing boats way out back and gulls active too.

After a real nice surf for an hour or so went up over a crest and the whole water around me exploded with bait fish jumping out.

Time for a coffee at that point for me.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:06 pm

guy lost his hand :cry:

how suckys that...just going for a surf like we all do :shock:

anyways

i'm thinkin....3 attacks...in 3 weeks....within 30 k each other

could it all be THE SAME SHARK :idea:

we have a rouge shark here people

and cue jaws movie quote :arrow:

"i'm gonna have get a bigger boat" :twisted:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:24 pm

Just in case you were still in doubt and missed all the fish along the east coast of Sydney and the Sharks that feed off them check out the video of a lone booger and his friends the salmon and shark off Bondi. :(

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 21,00.html

Regards

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:20 pm

I knew it wouldnt be long before someone blamed the government for the sharks. That god for the telegraph.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Kunho5 wrote:Just in case you were still in doubt and missed all the fish along the east coast of Sydney and the Sharks that feed off them check out the video of a lone booger and his friends the salmon and shark off Bondi. :(

Regards
this looks very suspicious to me.

issue no. 1: there are no boogers at bondi

issue no. 2: there is no 'lone' anyone at bondi. Ever heard the term 'its as busy as bondi out there...'

issue no. 3: telegraph does not speak the truth. Photoshop?
Erase.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:47 am

Ask Bombora, he works for the Tele.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:54 pm

lateralus wrote:
Kunho5 wrote:Just in case you were still in doubt and missed all the fish along the east coast of Sydney and the Sharks that feed off them check out the video of a lone booger and his friends the salmon and shark off Bondi. :(

Regards
this looks very suspicious to me.

issue no. 1: there are no boogers at bondi

issue no. 2: there is no 'lone' anyone at bondi. Ever heard the term 'its as busy as bondi out there...'

issue no. 3: telegraph does not speak the truth. Photoshop?
I didn't notice anywhere in the Daily Telecrap article that they warned the guy about the shark. If it is true, and that's a BIG if, they probably were hoping for a live (or is that dead?) shark attack action photo. :evil:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:01 pm

^^Is the shot theirs, or is it from one of the aerial shark patrol entrepreneurs?

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:27 pm

I was at Maroubra that day.

A non local black helicopter followed a school of Australia Salmon or something into shore from the North.

He stayed about 10 mins hovering and looking or filming presumably over us on the break.

Two local copters are blue and the westpac orange.

Some blokes saw the fish but I did not.

Some of us got out for a coffee. I believe that it was the same school travellimg southward from Bondi.

It settled at Malabr where there was a bit of gull activity before it went further South.

I dont know if the film is real but we know the fish were there.

Cheers.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:50 am

Photo was taken by a staff photog. Went up twice. In the morning just big school of circling salmon with no sharks. In early evening two big schools of probably Aussie salmon, each with a shark of more than 2m shadowing the school. Photos taken from private chartered chopper. Waverley mayor admitted not knowing who should be called in such a situation. And yeah photog was really hoping the booger was attacked :roll: . As nick C pointed out it's a great example of difference between dirty water/low light and clean water/clear skies. Shark knew booger was there, and knew his paddle splashes were not those of fish.
All this stuff about less sharks around cause of over-fishing so there couldn't possibly be more sharks this summer/autumn in Sydney misses the point. This year has had stunning amounts of bait around. Amazing amounts compared to recent years. That's helped a boom in kingfish (best year in harbour for a long long time) which are prime shark fodder when they are rat sized. Any fisho will tell you, find the bait, find the big fish. A local aggregation of sharks is possible, despite overall numbers being hammered by overfishing. It can be so local that some beaches have heaps of bait, while other have nothing. At DY up til about 5 or 6 years there were lots of mac tuna, bonito, tailor and even stripeys feeding almost on the sand each summer/autumn. Last few years nothing. Don't mean it will be the same next year. Might have a year of little bait, or the bait schools are elsewhere. So much disinformation or mixed messages from greens who rightly fear for future of sharks. The old "they only bite once and release" line has been out and about. Funny how each of the three Sydney attacks appears to have featured multiple bites before the noah realised they were biting a surfer not a salmon. And great whites have been totally protected for several years now. Scientists will admit there's some evidence the protection is working and there are slightly more juvenile great whites around. Juveniles who love eating salmon. Salmon who love schooling close to beaches at certain times of the year. Could be an interesting next few years.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:18 am

bombora wrote:Expert is Dr Vic Peddemors, NSW DPI scientist who investigates all attacks in NSW. Learned his trade in South Africa. Has a big collection of jaws of various species, in various sizes. Matches teeth marks, bite diametres, gaps between teeth marks, how the teeth mesh together or not, to either wounds, or westuits etc, plus takes into account locations, times of year etc etc etc. Knows his stuff.
I'm not doubting this guy's expertise, but working out the type (and size!) of shark based on flesh hanging off a wrist, and the likelihood that other wounds were jagged and not clean incisions, makes me think that a shiteload of speculation has been reported as a fact.

I note his expertise, and take his speculation with a grain of salt.
bombora wrote:That's helped a boom in kingfish (best year in harbour for a long long time) which are prime shark fodder when they are rat sized. Any fisho will tell you, find the bait, find the big fish.
Are you talking about yellowtail (full name yellowtail kingfish!)

All the fishos I know call them yellowtail until they got to some serious size before deserving the moniker 'kingfish'. Rat sized would always be a yellowtail. There are a heap of species of kingfish, so just wondering if you are talking about some other type.

Yellowtail were always considered one of the best baits.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Hiya oldman, in Sydney yellowtail kingfish are simply called kingfish or kings when past rat stage. When bigger they get names like hoodlums or bandits. Under the NSW legal size of 65cms they are known as rats, or rat kingfish. Haven't ever heard em called simply yellowtail round here. The harbour has had literally thousands of rats in it for past three months. From Roseville to the heads. fishos got the sh*ts cause they are having to put back heaps of 64.5cm kings :wink: They;ve come back since Eddie Obeid banned deadly floating kingfish traps several years ago. About the only decent thing the cynical old NSW Labor fixer ever did.
Yellowtail scad is a different fish, a baitfish which maxes out at about 30cms for an absolute whopper. They are universally known as yakkas. Great bait. Great eating too according to Tetsuya (but best in winter, something to do with more fat content).
The salmon are around in even bigger numbers cause there's virtually no commercial fishing for them. A cannery at Eden which was the only place that processed them closed a few years ago. There's actually a fisheries study going on right now to see if their increasing numbers are putting presure on other fisheries, cause the salmon are now migrating up past NSW/Qld border. Only a short time ago few salmon ever got to even the NSW north coast. Plenty noahs of different types keep tabs on schools the whole way up the coast.
PS Vic Peddemor's research is pretty damn comprehensive. Was interesting to see the different types of shark teeth. Whites have wimpy teeth (they break easily, apparently most victims will have a chip of tooth in their wounds) but are brutally sharp triangles, designed to cut fish felsh then blubber when they are older. Tiger's teeth were chunky, super strong and the shape of a cock's (chicken) comb cause they love sawing sea turtles in half. Bull shark had thin holding teeth on bottom and wider cutting teeth on upper jaw (think that was right, maybe other way round). They bite, use lower teeth to hold onto flesh, then shake their head and body to rip off meat with upper teeth. Whites generally cause a clean wound, bulls a nasty ragged wound which can be hard to repair. Vic was a cool fella.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Tue May 19, 2009 8:58 pm

So here we are a few months down the track.

I'm really proud of him. Taking it head on, really is the only way. Good onya mate!

Kunho5
Grommet

Post by Kunho5 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:28 pm

I have surfed Bondi many times and thought of him. Wish you the very best mate. Cheers.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:46 pm

food=chain. EOS.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:31 pm

Sharks have never been a problem at Cronulla :?
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?