Shark attack at Bondi

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Shark attack at Bondi

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Sharks generally really don't like getting involved with anything that fights back (ie a Navy diver) or anything that's bigger than they first assumed (ie a 35-year-old bodyboarder at Bondi whose hand they've grabbed)
what do you base that on nick nack :?:

personal experence :?

scientific fact :idea:

just vibe you have :wink:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

zingomar
regular

Post by zingomar » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:08 pm

Apparently there were birds diving all day for fish just out to sea at Bondi. Now after seeing the underwater shots of seals, dolphins and sharks going for schooling fish with birds attacking from the top on various docos, I treat birds meal time frenzies as a warning about what is below.

The inevtiable "mistaken identity" "ooopps sorry" - the shark did not really mean it - skark expert comments get a little tired. An attack is an attack and the scope for "mistakes" in a hunting hungry shark are high enough to give little reassurance to anyone who actually surfs or dives regularly.

They may not be actually chatting together about actively stalking surfers - which would be the end of surfing as we know it - but they are zooming about going for whatever moves and looks worth a bite particualrly when they are in hunt mode - stirred up by fish and blood.

Jacque Costeau's team often could dive amongst sharks with few problems but once something stirred them up to excitement or frenzy they got out quickly.

So number one warning sign is a reason for them to be there (fish, dead animals) and a reason for them to be agitated / excited. Bondi had both.

Natives in New Guinea attract sharks by banging on the sides of their canoe for 10 minutes or so. Vibrations travel a long way and arouse curiosity. Lots of man's activities must interest them - boat engines, anquor chains rattling down a boat, boogie boarders thrashing their flippers.

So keep quiet out there :shock:

DucksNuts
regular

Post by DucksNuts » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:29 pm

but occasionally, things might get inverted for a bit

Funners
Grommet

Post by Funners » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Dubbwah wrote:Coops of Dee Why, have some **** compassion.
dudes lost the end of his arm, and his wife is pregnant as well.
Tha guy is probaly a wanka brazliian tourist who cares if hes wife is pregnant i hope he was a painter or typist for his day job

he can fark off bak home and give his mrss some pleasure in the c hole wit his new found talented stub of a arm.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:47 pm

Geez, Funster, you really like stirring things up don't you :roll:
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:48 pm

Funners wrote:
Tha guy is probaly a wanka brazliian tourist who cares if hes wife is pregnant i hope he was a painter or typist for his day job

he can fark off bak home and give his mrss some pleasure in the c hole wit his new found talented stub of a arm.
I'm not clever enough to figure out who you are yet but I have figured out that you are a brainless f'cking arsehole of epic proportions ... regardless of who or what you are pretending to be and if you think that it's funny , you're lower than the bacteria that infests the disease that's found in a crack wh0res undies , so f'ck off to the forums for useless pieces of sh!t that were hated and bashed at school and have not recovered ... :idea:

(and just in case you were wondering if this is was the bit where I'm trying to uphold the perceived agression level for the sake of making RS the tough arse forums ... no, this is the bit where I truly think you're a scourge on the human race ...)
Last edited by Surfin Turf on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funners
Grommet

Post by Funners » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:52 pm

hey man relax plz all i am sayign is dat he probbaly just a tourist here for a week or somethin i dun care bout anyone who isnt nown to me why should i

u dont need to get realy aggrecive like that just step back.

as for ur insults u r a 10 sent hookers lumpy pre menstrual dischrge now fuk off and dont try insult me i didnt say anythin to u so fuk off

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:57 pm

^^^^

NoFunners ... please please please turn up to the next BBQ ... is it too late organise one for this weekend ... :idea:

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Funners = Troll

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:04 pm

The last 4 fatals in South oz go almost totally against the "established" risk factors. Three were on sunny days with good visibility. None were at dawn or dusk. IMHO the dataset for fatal shark attacks worldwide is still too small and the error bars too large to offer high confidence in the risk factors - even if you express them in relative terms ( i.e. surfing at dusk is a bit more risky than surfing at midday ).

Funners
Grommet

Post by Funners » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:10 pm

were are the bbqs held at ill turn up if there in vic .i have seen the pics from past bbqs you lot look like top peple even if u do get heaps aggro coz i dun believe in the same thingz as u SURFIN TURF im looking @ u gay ashole

chong why am i a troll what is that?

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Funners wrote: why am i a troll what is that?
NoFunningIdea ....go look in the mirror and look at you're forehead and where it says "useless piece of sh!t" , substitute that for "troll" ... get back to us if your worthless little peabrain has trouble figuring it out ...

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:23 pm

Funners wrote:

Funners - the irony of your name alone is enough to suggest the best possible course of action for you is a massive punch to your witless and charisma bypassed head of which I'm sure has already been countlessly hit with the ugly stick many times over.

Funners - fcuk off cnutface. You're not at all funny and you drag the average IQ level of these forums well down below 80 just with your score of around 25 alone.

Funners
Grommet

Post by Funners » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:26 pm

wut tha fak is ur problem u so senile u old poo jabba wtf did i do to u

i just come here to read u funny guys's stories adn stuff all the time been round 4 ages and look at u *** wish i hadnt start posting u are fkn queer

stop reply to my posts if u dun lyk em surfin hercules if u want just ignor i dont care just dont be a fkan tard and get aggro at the ppl on tha internt u dum kunt

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:42 pm

Funners wrote:wut tha fak is ur problem u so senile u old poo jabba wtf did i do to u

i just come here to read u funny guys's stories adn stuff all the time been round 4 ages and look at u *** wish i hadnt start posting u are fkn queer

stop reply to my posts if u dun lyk em surfin hercules if u want just ignor i dont care just dont be a fkan tard and get aggro at the ppl on tha internt u dum lovey
I'm amazed you spelt "senile" correctly unfunners. You should buy yourself a lottery ticket pal. That's a one in a million. :shock:

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Funster, can't you read? one of the earlier posts was that a he is afriend of a local guy.
If you are genuine I suggest you do something about your spelling and punctuation - you come across as a brain-dead moron.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:52 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:what do you base that on nick nack :?:

Heaps and heaps of actual reading of books and articles written by people who study sharks for part or all of their living.

I think it's a very interesting subject, many shark species are very old genetically, yet there hasn't been much understanding of 'em until relatively recently...it sorta shows what Western people think of the ocean generally. Like imagine if sharks were on the land! We'd know heaps about the damn things. But no, 'cause they're in the ocean, they're like part of the Unknown.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:02 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
mustkillmulloway wrote:what do you base that on nick nack :?:

Heaps and heaps of actual reading of books and articles written by people who study sharks for part or all of their living.

I think it's a very interesting subject, many shark species are very old genetically, yet there hasn't been much understanding of 'em until relatively recently...it sorta shows what Western people think of the ocean generally. Like imagine if sharks were on the land! We'd know heaps about the damn things. But no, 'cause they're in the ocean, they're like part of the Unknown.
As someone who has a marine biology/oceanography degree Nick, there's a helluva lot known about sharks.
Ampulla of lorenzini for instance......the sense organs by which a shark can detect electrical fields (ie struggling prey) or temperature gradients..have been studied in great detail.
Don't think you can use that as a metaphor for western peoples ignorance of the ocean (which is also a flimsy premise).
There's bugs flying around Sydneys northern beaches that haven't been studied yet .....the issue of ignorance extends far beyond the ocean.
I suggest anyone looking for hard data on shark numbers try and get the numbers from QLD's shark netting/drum line program.
I personally saw more last year , due to the flood rain we had here.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes