Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:51 am

Yes I can see that it’d be good for practice. In the same way that putt putt golf might sharpen you up. But I’d rather bag a bunch of short challenging punchy waves like this...

than a fat point wave that rolls on and on and on and on
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:25 am

#ilikecrescenthead

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am

I haven't surfed that much over summer and my reflects are down as you'd expect with age. It's an age and fitness game.

A mid length cruise on a crescent head 4ftr sound so much more appealing than a board snapping coral reef. Come Autumn and if the surf hours are up then maybe a juicy wave like Lakey Peak or even decent Nias. In my 50's I'm happy to be competing on a shortboard in busy Sydney. In 5-10 years I'll be hanging with Poldark at Crescent thinking "geez that was a little quick". It's all relative. And believe me it comes on strong and quick unless your viturally a full time athlete. As most of us know.

Go to pumping Boomerang where Pole position is now and you'll get a decent paddle with frothing locals who have the joint dialled. I find it a lot competitive than anywhere in Sydney with a trickier juicier wave.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 pm

I love Hatchies concerted effort to put shit on anywhere I surf. Kind of remarkable.....not. Just got back from surfing Boomerang for three days. Looked pretty much like the pictures Hatchie posted of his prefered style of wave. It was a bit sectiony though.
Re: Crescent....I can understand why he would think that. Particularly since he has very rudimentary mal riding ability. It's a mal wave 90% of the time and a very good one. Great place to work on your nose riding. On a fish you can have fun and I've seen a few guys on Sweet Potatoes give it a good run. I always found it a bit boring on a HPS myself. When I started riding mals though that was a different story....but he's right...its fcuked...stay away.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:17 pm

Yuke Hunt wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:05 am
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 am
Gentle wave that’s never ending. Boring.
But surely there'd be a rippable bowl to take the highline ?
Hatchie prefers waves that are really bowly. In fact the more hyper bowly the better :-D-:
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Thud wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am
I haven't surfed that much over summer and my reflects are down as you'd expect with age. It's an age and fitness game.

A mid length cruise on a crescent head 4ftr sound so much more appealing than a board snapping coral reef. Come Autumn and if the surf hours are up then maybe a juicy wave like Lakey Peak or even decent Nias. In my 50's I'm happy to be competing on a shortboard in busy Sydney. In 5-10 years I'll be hanging with Poldark at Crescent thinking "geez that was a little quick". It's all relative. And believe me it comes on strong and quick unless your viturally a full time athlete. As most of us know.

Go to pumping Boomerang where Pole position is now and you'll get a decent paddle with frothing locals who have the joint dialled. I find it a lot competitive than anywhere in Sydney with a trickier juicier wave.
I can still ride relatively smaller boards (6'/38l) if I put a bit of time and effort in (1-2 weeks), but I'm only competitive for an hour or so and I can't keep it for more than a day or two. As most of my surfing in the last 10 years has been around 2 daily sessions for a month at a time, I've had to go bigger to be able to keep it up day after day. So my go-to board is 6'8 x 21.5" x 3" x 50l. I'll go down to a 6'4 if its small and to 7' - 7'4" if its gets bigger, and 8' if its bigger still.

With those boards I can keep getting good waves in crowded conditions day after day, 2 sessions a day. By about day 6 I'm pretty fcuked though and need a day off.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:29 pm

I'd be riding 6'8" to 7' mostly if I regularly surfed good relatively uncrowded waves. I can jump on 7' and surf it straight away. 6'8" is a bit more touch and go. Horses for courses though. If I surfed Crescent or Noosa all the time I'd be on a mal 80% of the time and loving it.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:00 pm

o
Cranked wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:21 pm
Thud wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am

I can still ride relatively smaller boards (6'/38l) if I put a bit of time and effort in (1-2 weeks), but I'm only competitive for an hour or so and I can't keep it for more than a day or two. As most of my surfing in the last 10 years has been around 2 daily sessions for a month at a time, I've had to go bigger to be able to keep it up day after day. So my go-to board is 6'8 x 21.5" x 3" x 50l. I'll go down to a 6'4 if its small and to 7' - 7'4" if its gets bigger, and 8' if its bigger still.

With those boards I can keep getting good waves in crowded conditions day after day, 2 sessions a day. By about day 6 I'm pretty fcuked though and need a day off.
Cranky, you ride world class waves most of the time, you'd prbs be at the peak of your powers most of the time. Does this sound familiar;

Size - 2/3 ft
Direction - NNE
Wind - NE
Duration - 8 secs

No, I didn't think so.
Beanpole wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Perth?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:35 pm

You bloody know where.
Beanpole wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:09 pm
I love Hatchies concerted effort to put shit on anywhere I surf. Kind of remarkable.....not. Just got back from surfing Boomerang for three days. Looked pretty much like the pictures Hatchie posted of his prefered style of wave. It was a bit sectiony though.
Re: Crescent....I can understand why he would think that. Particularly since he has very rudimentary mal riding ability. It's a mal wave 90% of the time and a very good one. Great place to work on your nose riding. On a fish you can have fun and I've seen a few guys on Sweet Potatoes give it a good run. I always found it a bit boring on a HPS myself. When I started riding mals though that was a different story....but he's right...its fcuked...stay away.
I’ll think about graduating beyond a rudimentary level of Malibu riding if I’m ever located near a coastline where it actually makes sense.

You pride yourself on “mal skills” yet 99% of the time your surfing knee to chest high closeout beach breaks at Bondi. How does that work?

Closes out before you get your first cross step in, let alone up on the nose. The other 1% is you failing to get a park at tamarrama or getting out of Sydney once in a blue moon.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:52 pm

That's why I don't ride a mal at Bondi, Dingbat.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:17 pm

So you must suck on longboard then if your only riding it once a year.
Sniff wrote:

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:17 pm
So you must suck on longboard then if your only riding it once a year.
Like riding a bike once you actually know how to do it. But keep acting like a dickhead. We expect nothing less.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 pm
We
You

Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:01 pm

Hatchies imaginary nemesis. I like that you have these images floating around in your little mind. You have created an epic fantasy. Glad I can be part of it, Big Fella.

Must be Fcuking hot in the gym out at Lakemba.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:01 pm
I

How’s the parking treating you up their retart ?
Sniff wrote: