Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:43 am

2nd Reef wrote:Had a wee surf at with Lucky Al at Austinmer on Saturday morning; bit small and tide and a bit high but we had a bank to ourselves.
dinosaur wrote:two surfs at a south coast beachie on Sat. Pretty fun head high. not crowded
Iggs, Salty, Kyles and I at south coast mega wave magnet (OK, that's BS) just south of Austinmere saturday morning.

Lot of fun though. If we had all met up it could have been a drop-in free for all. 8)
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:22 pm

iggy wrote:HEAD HIGH...
exactly...
which (at best) would equate to 3 foot...
(not like the 4 foot plus beat up reports and end of the day summaries for saturday were suggesting)
NOWHERE HAD A 4 FOOT PLUS WAVE ON SATURDAY...
Iggy, I surfed Long Reef on Saturday mid-late morning and the sets were every part of 4ft (a foot or so overhead). Craig Brokensha (Swellnet forecaster) surfed a Central Coast swell magnet on Saturday and said the morning was around 3-4ft, while the early afternoon had a few 4-5ft bomb sets. I've surfed with Craig before and his wave height calls are similar to mine.

It's also worth noting that Darryl (who does my Cronulla report) reported 2-3ft waves in the shire on Saturday. Darryl's reports are pretty spot on IMO.

Therefore, seeing that you were south of Sydney on Saturday, I'm not surprised it was a little smaller than locations to the north. In fact, I detailed this precisely in my Friday notes:
Wave heights will be smaller away from south facing beaches on Saturday, and locations south of Sydney will probably see a decreasing trend much earlier than locations north of Sydney, so if you're up for a day trip I'd suggest the Central Coast or Newcastle, over the South Coast.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:47 pm

thermalben wrote:Iggy, I surfed Long Reef on Saturday mid-late morning and the sets were every part of 4ft (a foot or so overhead).
Surfed DY strip around lunchtime, eventually ended up near the pole and I would have to agree with T-Ben to some easy 4 footers, not that I bloody got any. :evil:

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:55 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:^^^^^
same slop I paddled out into I reckon ... :idea: saw a few at 7/11 on my way past ... :?:
7/11 :shock:

Dont think we were at the same place... I went out north curly yesterday arvo.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:57 pm

iggy wrote:find it hard to see how a beach only 100klms south of Sydney that faces south east with no obvious buffers of swell would be only head high at best on the bombs, when i had someone tell me that maroubra of all places had 4-5 foot sets on saturday...
That's why I love my job. Instant curve-balls every day, just add water :D

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:58 pm

thermalben wrote: Craig Brokensha (Swellnet forecaster) surfed a Central Coast swell magnet on Saturday and said the morning was around 3-4ft, while the early afternoon had a few 4-5ft bomb sets.
Ben speaks the truth and the crowd was only me and another guy during the early morning and only around 10 during the afternoon :D I was gonna head south as well but was steered towards the north where it looks as if it was the better of the two options.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:24 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:had a fun surf this morning, only small, me and a mate from 5 to 7, excellent :D
5 :shock: ... I know there's an hours diff but it's black as at 6 down here ... with the cloud cover it's murky till well after 6.30 ...
still a bit dark at 5 but not to bad :lol: by 5.15 its good enough, but I like hitting it before the sun is up :D normally start the paddle out at about 10 past.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:39 pm

dinosaur wrote:in other words.

NA NA NANANA
In other words, we went out of our way to find the smallest waves on the coast on Saturday Iggy.

This is in spite of the fact that every beach I checked north of Corrimal up to Stanwell (and taking in Maroubra) was smaller than Corrimal.

And we found where all the crowds were, because there were only 2 surfers on the central coast, and only 10 later in the day!!!!!

Got that?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:14 pm

oldman wrote:In other words, we went out of our way to find the smallest waves on the coast on Saturday Iggy.
This is what I call confusing... fair old discrepancy for Friday on Coastalwatch or Swellnet chart, who’s going to be accurate?
swell.gif

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:58 pm

ric_vidal wrote:This is what I call confusing... fair old discrepancy for Friday on Coastalwatch or Swellnet chart, who’s going to be accurate?
The one on the right is the one I saw earlier in the week Ric. Swell peaking in the middle of the night Friday, Saturday morning with north tending north east winds. Closer inspection showed the swell building through Saturday. If someone can explain how a south east swell can build throughout the Saturday from Sydney to parts further north, while having already passed the gong by 9.00am Saturday, it would clarify things for me.

Actually, no it wouldn't. :oops: :?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:02 pm

I'm with everyone else re: 4ft'ters on sat, not many mind you - in syd.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
diggerdickson wrote:had a fun surf this morning, only small, me and a mate from 5 to 7, excellent :D
5 :shock: ... I know there's an hours diff but it's black as at 6 down here ... with the cloud cover it's murky till well after 6.30 ...
You can be in the water at 5 am up here...but only just. I'm generally waxing up at that time and in the zone by about 10 past. Getting later each morning, now though.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Yeah we were out at Longy near the shark tower on saturday morning and there were a couple of good sized ones coming through there and down towards poles, sorry Iggy.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:34 pm

Spoon wrote: a couple of good sized ones coming through .... down towards poles,
with one lonely guy :oops: who had them to himself but had to paddle hard in the rip ... :idea: was quite good ...

where you were spoon looked mighty congested ... :shock:

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:58 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
Spoon wrote: a couple of good sized ones coming through .... down towards poles,
with one lonely guy :oops: who had them to himself but had to paddle hard in the rip ... :idea: was quite good ...

where you were spoon looked mighty congested ... :shock:
Me and my mate Phil were out opposite the track the clubbies come down with about 100 shark baits sitting near us. Good right hander coming through when you got on them. There were alot sitting and watching though. Water was nice and an easy paddle back out, can't complain.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:55 pm

surfed my local beachie, crystal clear water as good as it gets, waves were only 2 ft but had heaps of fun on the AquaBat, some fast wedgy right and running lefts... had it mostly to myself for 2 hrs, 6 other guys up on the fat rights....on the way home I got myself an awesome pie, went home and threw the leg over...Happy Days... 8) :D

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 pm

So Iggy, how were the wave height calls this time - were you at the same south east swell magnet? :D

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:14 pm

2ft fun!
Attachments
shakka.JPG
shakka.JPG (16.57 KiB) Viewed 6177 times