Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

tootr
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by tootr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Surf was shite all week on the mid north coast. Best keep driving.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Si.

Spent an hour on foot around Rainbow Bay, snapper . It really is like a suburb of Rio de Janeiro there.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Went for the late....got a couple in between the paddling.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

aaarating
regular

Post by aaarating » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 am

steve shearer wrote:Si.

Spent an hour on foot around Rainbow Bay, snapper . It really is like a suburb of Rio de Janeiro there.
What happened to all your north coat GW's? And surely someone at SeaWorld can train them to selectively eat a few of your Brazilian friends?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:44 am

Send in the death squads.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:05 am

Brian Brainwave wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:
Hey has anybody here felt harassed in any way by jetski drop-offs during swells on the Goldie?

Even though your fishing for an article for that other mob. haha

my answer is Fuck yes.

Watching entitled, privileged pros being taxied up the point near me, while we're all in the rip doing it tough ... then they're straight back up the point for the next set. the sweep running so hard, you couldn't stay on the point in between sets, meant they got every wave they wanted, and we were back down the point hoping a pro surfer would fall off a perfect, flawless wave (hint: it never happens) so we'd get one.

Not to mention what they are doing is illegal. they come roaring through the lineup at speed and at times are within metres of paddling surfers.

there's a few out there that are way worse than the rest. There were a couple of photographers out there, who are shooting and staying clear of every one, then there's a whole plethora of fuck knuckles doing outrageously selfish things.

it'll come to blows soon. a few paddling crew are already talking about fucking up a certain crew of pros next time they're seen in the carpark.
That's pretty disappointing really. Imagine the poor local who only gets to surf it good a few times a year and a PRO gets towed back into the lineup.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 am

Nick Carroll wrote:My theory is, they are so old they just couldn't give a fcuk any more. Self consciousness has deserted them. It's as if they have become little children again, except with horrendous gouts of rancid flesh spilling down their torsos and half concealing their withered genitalia.

Anyway, onward!

Hey has anybody here felt harassed in any way by jetski drop-offs during swells on the Goldie?
Nick, just on your question, if you were out at snapper paddling back out and you saw a mid 20's current pro being towed back up the point what would you think about it?

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:08 pm

And then, after paddling solidly for minutes to stay in the prime position, you get snaked by a pro in his 30's doing a jetski step off.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:00 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:My theory is, they are so old they just couldn't give a fcuk any more. Self consciousness has deserted them. It's as if they have become little children again, except with horrendous gouts of rancid flesh spilling down their torsos and half concealing their withered genitalia.

Anyway, onward!

Nick, just on your question, if you were out at snapper paddling back out and you saw a mid 20's current pro being towed back up the point what would you think about it?
I don't think I would care who it was being towed into position inside me, jet skis and paddling surfers just don't mix well. It's rude and it's potentially dangerous, and in most Australian States it's also illegal. In most surf communities there's a very clear distinction between tow and paddle, and tow/ski stuff doesn't start till nobody's paddling. In a very few cases they mix but it's always done with care and the ski always gives way to the paddle. I am a bit fascinated by why it's so different on the Goldie and why everyone's so unwilling to discuss it publicly. Like I have been contacted by a number of different surfers after this last swell, they seem really pissed off and all say they've had a gutful, but when I suggest they be quoted for a story, they immediately shy away -- the whole culture has them a bit spooked.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:27 pm

You can quote me "it's fukced and it's selfish"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Beerfan wrote:

Anyway, onward!

I don't think I would care who it was being towed into position inside me, jet skis and paddling surfers just don't mix well. It's rude and it's potentially dangerous, and in most Australian States it's also illegal. In most surf communities there's a very clear distinction between tow and paddle, and tow/ski stuff doesn't start till nobody's paddling. In a very few cases they mix but it's always done with care and the ski always gives way to the paddle. I am a bit fascinated by why it's so different on the Goldie and why everyone's so unwilling to discuss it publicly. Like I have been contacted by a number of different surfers after this last swell, they seem really pissed off and all say they've had a gutful, but when I suggest they be quoted for a story, they immediately shy away -- the whole culture has them a bit spooked.
Maybe the mad hueys have everyone scared lol. I'm surprised the pros wouldn't seem embarrassed to be getting help on such a non ski worthy day. I mean surely it's not a lot to expect a pro surfer to be able to handle the sweep ?

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Is the suggestion being made that a pro fanboi would do something nasty to someone who commented on record?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Teenage 45kg skinny jeaned heavies in baggy beanies and those stupid really long shirts are fkken scary dudes bro, I'd keep quiet as well

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Why is it allowed on the Gold Coast? Don't know, but the obvious local peculiarities.

It is town run by tourism people who sell the GC on glitz, glamour and beaches. Surfing celebrities tick a lot of boxes for these people. As Chief Gold Coast Lifeguard Warren Young said, explaining his blind eye approach, “Professional surfers have a lot of sway in this town.”

Secondly, the sweepzilla flushes away all opposition. Often, by the time you ease paddling for a few seconds to remonstrate, you have slipped 35 metres down the point, somewhat silencing and negating your opposition.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:37 pm

this last swell, it came down to greed. you could paddle and get good waves. they were just alotta hard work. like 2 in 40 mins hard work.

mind you if guys weren't being taxied up the point and perpetually on your inside, you could have had 5 or 6 waves in your 40 minutes.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:44 pm

it's hard to believe from the outside looking in that this bizarre jet ski pro orgy at the expense of paddlers hasn't been squashed like a bug.\

`you'd think it'd take a person with a smart phone about ten minutes to shut it down.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm

steve shearer wrote:it's hard to believe from the outside looking in that this bizarre jet ski pro orgy at the expense of paddlers hasn't been squashed like a bug.\

`you'd think it'd take a person with a smart phone about ten minutes to shut it down.

all sense of community left the goldie years ago shep. like, there's still pockets of it here and there. but out at a place like snapper or the alley, it's gone and it's not coming back that i can foresee.

gentrification has a bit to do with it. i know a healthy chunk of crew who have fled the goldie over the last decade and a bit for cheaper/ quieter digs ... there's no way the ski's and shit would fly if they were still around.

so the old school community is fragmented and dispersed, and the tightest crew in the water are now the blow in pros and their mate's with skis.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Brian Brainwave wrote: so the old school community is fragmented and dispersed, and the tightest crew in the water are now the blow in pros and their mate's with skis.

I hadn't really considered that perspective. That makes perfect sense.