Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by oldman » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Spoon wrote:I finally have have a day off, howling westerlies, tiny swell and a list of chores :x
Yep, tell me about it.

Had to stay home tuesday and wednesday, could go and take a look at the surf but didn't get enough time to get out. Thursday and Friday I do have enough time, and the waves have gone and it is flat as.

Check Saturday and although there is a good swell I couldn't bother with the serious crowd. Probably should have got out for the late but missed it due to chores and other duties.

Sunday free and such a nice day I decide to go out at Maroubra's version of super crowded bank with about 1000 others.

Get one nice left and count myself lucky. Decide I'm gonna have a dig and bugger the millions out there. Have a two hour surf and manage to get 4 good lefts, a couple of average rights and a few close-outs.

Most of the surfers out there are getting no waves, nil, zilch, none. One of my better crowded surfing exploits of recent times.

Got in the road of one bloke as I was paddling back out and he was taking off. He blew up like a little girl, and while I normally take the white water on the head rather than get in the way of someone, sometimes it is a touch and go decision and hard to assess while the other guy is taking off. Didn't actually cause him to miss anything, so his blowing up was a bit of a wank, but there you go.

Very enjoyable, and moreso knowing that most out there were just getting nothing. :twisted:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Had a few fun sessions here, wasn't crowded early but from about 9 onwards it was chockers.. Still got my share and met up with Al as well! Great bloke :)

Innerview
regular

Post by Innerview » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:18 pm

:)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Some lovely sneaky little waist high stuff at my local point today. :D :D
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:36 pm

TrevG wrote:Some lovely sneaky little waist high stuff at my local point today. :D :D
considered the implications/scenarios of your post on paedowatch?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:46 pm

puurri wrote:
TrevG wrote:Some lovely sneaky little waist high stuff at my local point today. :D :D
considered the implications/scenarios of your post on paedowatch?
Well, no. My mind isn't that twisted.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:51 pm

I heard that conditions had picked up up there today Trev.....that one has snuck under the radar.

Calm before the storm really!!!

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:06 pm

Snuck out for a before work early at Sth Narra this morning. It looked all over the shop and noone out but I went out anyway. Sat on a rip bank for half an hour pulling back off 4ft closeouts before heading a bit further south. I was thinking "this is going to be a no wave surf, I should've just gone to work".

Just then 2 gannets cruised past about 6 feet away surfing the air in front of the waves, the sun broke through the clouds lighting up a rainbow over Collaroy Plateau and the waves cleaned up. One of the gannets dove about 5m away from me and I felt the shockwaves on my legs.

I got a half a dozen or so fast right head-high closeout barrels and a smile that just won't go away. Thanks Huey.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Just a pre-cursor surf at scrappy, sideshore Point with a building windswell.
A quick lunch-time jaunt as I realised it'll probably be 6-8ft Sun/mon and I've had fcuk all go-outs recently.
The water was absolutely freezing....I'd say 17-18 ...one other bloke out......most sets would smear out across the outerbank and shoulder-off into nothingness....the very odd one would sneak through and double-up and run down the bank.
With Rusty Gromfest starting tomozza and the town full of cashed up Sydney-siders I was surprised there weren't more crew out.

It's the kind of surf I dig more and more as I get older : looks like shitt from the road and the carpark but little runners with shape; a problem with a fundamental answer. A set of small challenges : which rock to jump off, the paddle against the rip and the sly dart in to pick up the doubleup.
Predictably I felt like a stiff, old balding kook.
Got a runner past the hut and came in....the next question: can you identify on the way into the rocks the different species of rock : the half cunje covered one that is soft and safe, the barnacles that offer grip to a confident foot, a knife edge to any sliding surface of skin. The smooth, low boulders covered with soapy slippery moss that can tweak an ankle or worse.
Old Doc Spence was on the Point in his motorised scooter. He gave me a thumbs up "there's a wave out there" .....i tried to engage him in conversation but he's deaf as a door post. His legs are gone but he still keeps a surgeons eye on proceedings.

Total go-out was probably twenty minutes. I beat D back home, my next door neighbour who was a police-woman and champion surfer. Shes got a lovely McCoy single-fin in her garage that I can see from the verandah. Apparently she had a nervous breakdown after witnessing a bad car accident and now she's a drunk who staggers back from a cafe every day with the wobbly boots on. Sometimes she stands at foot of the stairs with a glass of whisky in her hand , just silent and swaying, until I lead her by the hand back to her house.

Throw my ashes out on the point, I fcuking love the joint.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:46 pm

It was yesterday, but anyway..

The regular reef. After a few weeks of ordinary weather-howling nor-westers punctuated by BIG changes blasting in from the south we finally got an offshore and swell (around 2.7m on the Rotto bouy).

This swell size is generally ideal. The wild weather and constant large seas have ripped sand off all the beaches, as such the craggy, sharp limestone that the sand overlays is now exposed, meaning stubbed toes etc when heading out and back in.

Swell was 3ft, maybe 4ft on the sets, maybe. Rode the 6'2 epoxy round tail because it looked better than it was and I rode the other 6'2 on the weekend. A tad too much water on the reef from the high tide, so it was peaky and not really running off down the line like it can. Only 6 people, all locals and regulars so nice and mellow for a change. The water was soupy and brown from all the chopped up weed of the last few weeks, the oft sighted, seldom surfed beachbreak looks good with the sand movement. Just needs that all too rare perfect swell now...

Got a few, nothing real flash, kinda wonky because it was cold. On the way in managed to almost rip me a new arsehole on the newly exposed jagged limestone bouncing tail first off the reef.

Swell is looking good for the weekend. :shock:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Spent a half hour deciding whether or not to go out this morning.
Reasonable swell but a bit all over the place.
Finally took the plunge with one other and we had magic 2 1/2 hours. Max crew 5. 8)
The wind was expected to come around the point but didn't - kept offshore all morning and nicely protected inside the point.
If the wind behaves, tomorrow will be a bit bigger still and on through the weekend. 8)
Oh. and it was abit chilly - down to 11 degrees :wink:
Beanpole

Skipper

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:56 pm

steve shearer wrote:A quick lunch-time jaunt as I realised it'll probably be 6-8ft Sun/mon and I've had fcuk all go-outs recently.
The water was absolutely freezing....I'd say 17-18
I reckon you could well see 8ft+ down your way come Sunday Steve. How fecking good are those charts of Saturday looking!!!

Also, what's with the sudden drop in water temp? Not like we've had a constant bout of N'ly winds? Where'd that fresh outcrop come from?

GregL
Grommet

Post by GregL » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:03 pm

post work d'bah, 3 to sometimes 4 foot. nothing special but definitely on the increase.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:30 pm

Toby wrote:Still trying to work out where you're from and where this:
OddaP wrote:The regular reef.
is.

I can only really surf afternoons on weekdays and that's conditional on me going to work super early, which I only do if there's a strong chance of good conditions. Earlier in the week I was thinking it would stay offshore. But then Tuesday evening all the graphs/models were pointing towards strong N-NWers so I bailed. Looked at the graphs when I got home and it was cross or offshore all arvo :evil:.

Good banks near my house at the moment, a place I rarely surf. Pity it's a gay hangout all through the sanddunes so there are heads popping up like gophers all day long. Counted 6 at one stage last Sunday arvo.
Hahaha, well I think i can work whereabouts you are from your description of that place!

I'm north, still Perth but about as far north as you can go.

I prefer not to name the regular spot, its no secret and you will have surfed it. Just prefer not to name it.

I pretty much will only surf here or a right hand reef a few kms`north around there, I can organise my time at work so I can get there in the morning if it looks good, but I will work late.

Of course once the swells below 1.5m then all bets are off, if the winds are good its further north again (I went there on the weekend and the banks have been decimated, plus there's no beach left) or the very odd Rotto trip. Otherwise as you know its down south.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 pm

Haven't had a surf since Sunday
Toby wrote:Still trying to work out where you're from and where this:
OddaP wrote:The regular reef.
is.

I can only really surf afternoons on weekdays and that's conditional on me going to work super early, which I only do if there's a strong chance of good conditions. Earlier in the week I was thinking it would stay offshore. But then Tuesday evening all the graphs/models were pointing towards strong N-NWers so I bailed. Looked at the graphs when I got home and it was cross or offshore all arvo :evil:.

Good banks near my house at the moment, a place I rarely surf. Pity it's a gay hangout all through the sanddunes so there are heads popping up like gophers all day long. Counted 6 at one stage last Sunday arvo.
Take some rubber bands, and ping them off.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:29 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:38 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.