Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Drailed » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:19 pm

Brian Brainwave wrote:
alakaboo wrote: Fcuk. I was just about to give up on surfing. My life would've been so much simpler.

i hear you brother.
We have saltwater in our veins brothers. Never an option.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 pm

salt bros 4 lyfe!
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Drailed wrote:Ok lets settle this once and for all, Nick - is there ever any post clubby activity wrestling in the showers?
No. But there is a group of old men who swim every morning. I've rescued at least three of them at different times. They go for a swim, then gather in the showers, strip off, shower and hang around in there together in the steam, like a dozen or more of them, all over 70 and nude. I mean for christs sake. Won't somebody think of the children.
Warm showers in Newport? Faaaarking hell!

What is it with old men standing around with their cocks out though..

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:04 am

My theory is, they are so old they just couldn't give a fcuk any more. Self consciousness has deserted them. It's as if they have become little children again, except with horrendous gouts of rancid flesh spilling down their torsos and half concealing their withered genitalia.

Anyway, onward!

Hey has anybody here felt harassed in any way by jetski drop-offs during swells on the Goldie?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:01 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Hey has anybody here felt harassed in any way by jetski drop-offs during swells on the Goldie?

Even though your fishing for an article for that other mob. haha

my answer is Fuck yes.

Watching entitled, privileged pros being taxied up the point near me, while we're all in the rip doing it tough ... then they're straight back up the point for the next set. the sweep running so hard, you couldn't stay on the point in between sets, meant they got every wave they wanted, and we were back down the point hoping a pro surfer would fall off a perfect, flawless wave (hint: it never happens) so we'd get one.

Not to mention what they are doing is illegal. they come roaring through the lineup at speed and at times are within metres of paddling surfers.

there's a few out there that are way worse than the rest. There were a couple of photographers out there, who are shooting and staying clear of every one, then there's a whole plethora of fuck knuckles doing outrageously selfish things.

it'll come to blows soon. a few paddling crew are already talking about fucking up a certain crew of pros next time they're seen in the carpark.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:06 am

No, but I tell you what, it sure was interesting to watch the evolution of crowd numbers during the swell, especially considering the surf cam debacle at Lennox and the fact that this was the first "fully hyped" swell for 6+ months.

First day of the swell, with no surf on the Goldy and no surf cam info being spread on the internet ie, it wasn't available yet, there was 80-100 at the Point. Zoo.
Second day, as waves penetrated north of the border and the immense media machinery started broadcasting images of surf at Superbank, Burleigh, etc etc in real time the crowd dropped to 30 or so.
Third day with the Kirra hype machine now added into the mix and this area well under the radar there was about a dozen out.
Fourth day I sat on the headland and watched 8 people surfing 6ft+ Point waves.

I really believe as this massive carrot of real time imagery was broadcast all over the net, concentrating peoples minds into certain pre-ordained outcomes that other locations quietly slipped under the radar. I've observed this phenomenon enough over the years to have some confidence in the predictive power of the theory.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:27 am

Shearer, I must say that sounds a bit like paranoia.

No waves in the closest (very crowded) populated centre, it stands to reason anyone would drive an hour down the road to find waves. Swell travels further north and more spots turn on, the crowd spreads out.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:36 am

Yep, Lennox is seen as a novelty wave on the GC. If all your status rests with your place in the pecking order at Snapper you are going to be there every time it's on.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:00 am

doesn't explain why there wasn't more than 8 locals out, Steve.
There's a lot of surfers in Lenjox/Ballina.

Maybe they went to the pass?

I came up from a surf with 4 out on Thursday arvo, and heaps of locals on the point watching.
I think the sweep, fatness of the mid section on a lot of waves and with the outside been blown out in the arvos - everyone was waiting for the mornings, or going to the pass.

I much preferred battling the sweep to battling the crowd.

A tuesday - Friday swell. Fcuken perfect.
Last year they landed on every long weekend.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:10 am

Brian Brainwave wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:

Even though your fishing for an article for that other mob. haha

my answer is Fuck yes.

Watching entitled, privileged pros being taxied up the point near me, while we're all in the rip doing it tough ... then they're straight back up the point for the next set. the sweep running so hard, you couldn't stay on the point in between sets, meant they got every wave they wanted, and we were back down the point hoping a pro surfer would fall off a perfect, flawless wave (hint: it never happens) so we'd get one.

Not to mention what they are doing is illegal. they come roaring through the lineup at speed and at times are within metres of paddling surfers.

there's a few out there that are way worse than the rest. There were a couple of photographers out there, who are shooting and staying clear of every one, then there's a whole plethora of fuck knuckles doing outrageously selfish things.

it'll come to blows soon. a few paddling crew are already talking about fucking up a certain crew of pros next time they're seen in the carpark.
It seems pretty disgusting the drop off thing happening at Snapper.The fuckin sense of entitlement and selfishness riles me.

Saw some footage of some ski assisted surfing at Narrabeen Nick, seemed like there was a crew paddling as well....

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:44 am

buddy wrote:doesn't explain why there wasn't more than 8 locals out, Steve.
There's a lot of surfers in Lenjox/Ballina.

Maybe they went to the pass?
Variety of reasons.
People work, so the dawny and after work session are most crowded, but in this swell that coincided with high tides, which weren't ideal. Both for the rock-off and wave quality.
People get sick of paddling. How many days straight can you paddle kilometres into a sweep and wind? Crowds naturally diminish day by day during those conditions.
And the average age of surfers is getting on........if you're 50+ you probably won't feel like it.
And I think a lot of people were waiting for it to settle down on the weekend.

I saw the same faces out there every day.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:49 am

And that's just it.
Not because of the cameras.
You don't leave home when it's pumping, and the goldy has been.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:51 am

I'm definitely stuffed after two days paddling in those conditions. I remember surfing Currumbin a couple of years ago and I had to paddle at pretty much full throttle to make any headway against the rip......and then try and up it some more to paddle for the wave. After a day of that Snapper was relaxing.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:03 am

jeez, the swell died today. it's sudden departure was just as surprising as Princess Di's was.
Kunji wrote:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:24 am

If people get angry about surfing they shouldnt surf. There is nothing worse than a complaining surfer in and out of the line up. The amount of times I've had to listen to out of shape middle aged men not catching waves whinge about crowds etc...its a full buzz kill.
Last edited by Davros on Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:28 am

Davros wrote:If you get angry surfing don't surf. There is nothing worse than a complaining surfer.
Nah I don't whinge while in the water. If I'm having a bad time I sulk and fold my arms while sitting way out back, staring at the horizon.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:33 am

We are all part of the crowd Davros...doesnt mean you have to act like an entitled cnut.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:36 am

Wasn't talking about the jet ski stuff or anyone in particular, just general comment on blokes who don't keep themselves fit and complain when they don't get waves