Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 14062
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:24 pm

As someone who doesn't make a living off the surf industry, why would I go out of my way to pay attention to the latest on kirra? Especially when I now live about 900 klms from it. What, so I can chit chat about it in the line up?
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque
BA wrote:Dropped a frozen 20kg dog on it. The toe is starting to look like Peter Duttons head.

channels
Owl status
Posts: 4801
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:36 pm
Location: Northen Beaches

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by channels » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 pm

foamy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:09 pm
Image
That's the People's Champ.

User avatar
petulance
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21942
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Salford Lads' Club

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by petulance » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:40 pm

What's Jeremy Corbyn doing in Queensland?
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21954
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:45 pm

Drailed wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm
Take your tablets and calm down Nick, it’s only surfing.
ha ha d dog you are such a kook! I love it.

hatchnam honestly I couldn't give a fcuk mate.

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 14062
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:04 pm

well you clearly do GAF. and so you should. it's your job after all.
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque
BA wrote:Dropped a frozen 20kg dog on it. The toe is starting to look like Peter Duttons head.

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 14881
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Drailed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:13 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:45 pm
Drailed wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm
Take your tablets and calm down Nick, it’s only surfing.
ha ha d dog you are such a kook! I love it.

hatchnam honestly I couldn't give a fcuk mate.
Haha nah bra, I am just a purist.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 14062
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:52 pm

:lol:
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque
BA wrote:Dropped a frozen 20kg dog on it. The toe is starting to look like Peter Duttons head.

User avatar
marauding mullet
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 6391
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm
Location: an upside down valiant

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by marauding mullet » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Little discussion from a few years ago, with accompanying crappy pics courtesy of me ...viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27872

I’m a bit like Hatchy, lived there for a little while, never followed surfing via magazines or whatever and never been interested in anything other than my own little surfing bubble.
I remember asking on this forum once, what the superbank was, people thought I was joking.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 36786
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Cheese Cave

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Each to their own I suppose. Guess I'm interested given I grew up surfing there and have watched the various stages of man made intervention take place as it happened. Once regarded as the best wave in Australia and one of the top ten in the world. There's not really that much stopping it getting back into shape really......unless they turn it into a Marina.

JaM71
Local
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by JaM71 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:14 am

Greenmount used to have a wave that fully wrapped around the point before “the superbank” which was pretty fun option to escape the crowds when Kirra was pumping.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21954
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:39 am

Hatchnam wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:04 pm
well you clearly do GAF. and so you should. it's your job after all.
Oh I GAF about the Kirra situation but I don't really mind if you don't, just thought I would explain it

buddy
barnacle
Posts: 2105
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by buddy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:45 am

I appreciated it, Nick.
I kind of knew all that, but having it in one post was good.

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 14062
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:21 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:39 am
Hatchnam wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:04 pm
well you clearly do GAF. and so you should. it's your job after all.
Oh I GAF about the Kirra situation but I don't really mind if you don't, just thought I would explain it
Thanks for the explanation.
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque
BA wrote:Dropped a frozen 20kg dog on it. The toe is starting to look like Peter Duttons head.

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7883
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cranked » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:25 am

Nick has spent the last 40 years preparing himself for something great. All this knowledge and enthusiasm must not be wasted. He should be ready by now to apply his skills and this knowledge to produce a book, or maybe a movie script, that dramatises the incredible history of surfing and surfers from the early sixties to the present. Really though, at least four volumes of literary effort, or 10 episodes are required. Or perhaps both.

If all else fails.... poetry!
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 21954
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Cranked wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:25 am
Nick has spent the last 40 years preparing himself for something great. All this knowledge and enthusiasm must not be wasted. He should be ready by now to apply his skills and this knowledge to produce a book, or maybe a movie script, that dramatises the incredible history of surfing and surfers from the early sixties to the present. Really though, at least four volumes of literary effort, or 10 episodes are required. Or perhaps both.

If all else fails.... poetry!
give me a fcuken break cranky, didn't you watch the ABC series "Bombora"?

I've spent the past 40 years preparing myself for the next 40 years.

alakaboo
Duke Status
Posts: 18093
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by alakaboo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Nick's explanation left out the massive dredging campaign that buried Kirra reef and dramatically changed the nearshore beach profile in Coolangatta bay, back in 1995-96 and 1998.

And the bypass volume has tried to match the natural rate of sand transport since 2006, they just didn't do a great job for the first few years.

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 7883
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cranked » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:38 pm
Cranked wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:25 am
Nick has spent the last 40 years preparing himself for something great. All this knowledge and enthusiasm must not be wasted. He should be ready by now to apply his skills and this knowledge to produce a book, or maybe a movie script, that dramatises the incredible history of surfing and surfers from the early sixties to the present. Really though, at least four volumes of literary effort, or 10 episodes are required. Or perhaps both.

If all else fails.... poetry!
give me a fcuken break cranky, didn't you watch the ABC series "Bombora"?

I've spent the past 40 years preparing myself for the next 40 years.
Oh, ummmm, yeah, well done!

I missed it. Mrs Cranked pointed it out to me at the time (she says) and watched it, says it was great.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 36786
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Cheese Cave

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:38 pm

JaM71 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:14 am
Greenmount used to have a wave that fully wrapped around the point before “the superbank” which was pretty fun option to escape the crowds when Kirra was pumping.
It often did but dependent on sand it often barrelled from the end of rainbow in front of the point halfway down to Kirra. Just like it often does now. The main bit that's changed is Snapper through Rainbow. Rainbow used to break like Ti Tree into the beach but rarely connect.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests