Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Wyre
Owl status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Wyre » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 am

Good waves today. Plenty of power and a nice mix of swells hitting the point.

Reckon it'll stick around for a few days?
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 am

Drailed wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:31 am
Bout time Boo, nothing worse then a kook with ideas above his station.
:lol:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:38 am

So true loof.
Hey, did I ever tell you about the time I rode my bike at 28km/h for almost 10 minutes?
Cadel Evans was in the group ride, he told me I was born to be a cyclist.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:43 am

Bet he complimented you on your style.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:56 pm

black duck wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:29 pm
Trev, you’ve been quiet considering your local has been going off it’s tits the last few days. What’s happening?
Moffs?
They were towing in yesterday.
Out of my league.
I surfed Noosa the day before it hits. Up at Access 11. Fun 2 to 3 ft stuff.
Too crowded now for this little black duck. ( See what I did there? :-o ).
But will be up there for the week of the Noosa Festival of Surfing from next Saturday. Hopefully some residual stuff. Will be on site so no parking issues.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:04 pm

Hatchnam wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 pm
Some of the Kirra footage looked great. but pre 2001 it seemed flawless. Now it seems there are sections where it can close out. Must be less (or too much) sand now or it’s stacked on a different angle?
Hatchnam has this whole thing slipped by you unnoticed? Like really really?

It’s been colossally and extensively reported on for years and years. Entire organisations have been founded to help deal with it.

Short summary though.

Pre-1971: Kirra was a “natural point”, a bend in the coast starting around 50m down from the current big groyne. Not a fcukload of sand although pulses came down from Snapper etc every now and then

1971: Big groyne was built, separating Coolangatta Beach from Kirra. Everyone thought Kirra was going to be fcuked but after a year or so, sand came around the groyne and actually lengthened the wave from the top end.

Sometime in the late 70s: Little groyne was built down the other end, everyone thought that would fcuk it up, but this time it contained the sand at the bottom end and made another section down past little groyne. Everyone loved it except the real estate agents and shopkeepers at Kirra because all thew sand down past little groyne was slowly eroded away, by the late 80s, there was almost no Kirra Beach at all, just the epic sand line between the groynes

2000: Deal struck between NSW Stae govt and the Qld govt to start a bypass of the Tweed River to move sand past the rivermouth which was being semi blocked by sand as it tried to get past the rivermouth from Fingal etc. Pumping started late 2000.

2001: Big July swell began revealing the first signs of the Superbank. Sand coming around from the pumping and spreading down from Snapper through Rainbow and Greenmount.

2003: Superbank now in full swing, but sand is now migrating past Big Groyne into Kirra

2005: Kirra is choked with sand. Little Groyne has disappeared under sand drifts. Shopkeepers ecstatic because now people can sunbake on the beach. Surfing community realises too late what has happened, everyone gutted.

2007: Kirra now just a full on closeout end to end with a massive sand beach where the wave once peeled. Save Kirra etc.

2009 - 13: Tactical warfare over situation. Local politics heavily involved. Mayor Tom Tate jumps on bandwagon one monent, off the next. Bizarre proposals for giant marina at Kirra. GC proposed for World Surfign Reserve.

2013: Pumping has now been slowed from its first initital 10 year burst. Repeated swell action begins to re-erode Kirra. Big groyne lengthened by GCCC to help control sand flow.

2019: Kirra still slowly re-eroding. Little Groyne now visible once more. Top end of the wave pretty good now even when small. Possible return to near-normal now in middle distance.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Apparently, pre-1971, there was a popular left-hander at Kirra. Stu Nettle said just about all of the old Kirra surfing photos he's found are of the left. Bob McTavish said in one of his books that he somewhat missed that left. It was round about where Coolangatta Creek comes out.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Nick.

I moved down here not long after Kirra had been apparently been screwed up as a result of the dredging that created the superbank (where snapper itself was formerly just a fat roller for mals and goat boats).

Since then I’ve not surfed Kirra that i can remember. Nor have I had any personal reason to pay attention to it. But have been aware of a lot of noise being made about the quality of Kirra going to shit.

So by and large the details and proceeding of it all have slipped by me.

All i remember was from surfing Kirra pre 2001. Sure, the barrel might pinch off on you if you’d mis-timed it or your position and line wasn’t on point. But I cannot remember seeing sections of it warble and shut down. And second groin, was a whole next level of epic on top of first groin. It was about the most perfect wave I’ve ever seen or surfed.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Nick gets really funny about people not being invested in surfing as much as him.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Yeah well that’s me really. I just dig riding waves. The rest of it, the cultures, the scene, the pro tour, etc I just couldn’t care less about.
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Only left I remember was straight after the big groin was built. There was practically nothing on the point and this big sandbank formed way out and north of the Surf Club. They held the Queensland Titles there that year. MP was going straight down on that same board he rode in MOTE and straight back up into the lip on well overhead waves.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Drailed wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:53 pm
Nick gets really funny about people not being invested in surfing as much as him.
Umm I know you are an adult learner and all d dog but you don’t have to be Mick fcuken Fanning to have heard about the huge structural changes over the past decade and a half to one of the world’s greatest waves.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm

Take your tablets and calm down Nick, it’s only surfing.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:23 pm

Who’s the world champ these days ? Is Shane Powell still second ?
Sniff wrote:

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:33 pm

Willsy has it sewn up this year.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:24 pm

As someone who doesn't make a living off the surf industry, why would I go out of my way to pay attention to the latest on kirra? Especially when I now live about 900 klms from it. What, so I can chit chat about it in the line up?
Sniff wrote:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 pm

foamy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:09 pm
That's the People's Champ.