Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Thud
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Thud » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Honestly, who gives a rats fat arse. There's plenty of places that weren't tar sealed for years crawling with punters. Seal Rocks for example. These sentimental discussions are just that.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:45 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 pm
Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 pm
Here, maybe this will help some of you, part one of a series

https://www.coastalwatch.com/surfing/25 ... ct-fiction
Phew, lucky I'm over sixty. Trev, we can afford to relax. We've got past the dangerous ages.
Fuck!! I'm right in the mid point.

Think an expansion on the third point would be good. That is the "unpreparedness" bit
Beanpole wrote:

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:46 pm

channels wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:07 pm
This is tedious.

Is this where Iggs says he's trolling?
100% is gets old.
Beanpole wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:15 pm

Thud wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm
Honestly, who gives a rats fat arse. There's plenty of places that weren't tar sealed for years crawling with punters. Seal Rocks for example. These sentimental discussions are just that.
Well, sure you can have that attitude but your going to have to wear the consequences. I'm not anti development but I'm pretty wary of the type shitty development that a lot of regional council get on board with. The Farm is the classic example. Casuarina and Salt are a vast improvement on that. That's not saying much though. If they were just going to tar the road and that's all you can definitely make a case for that. Chance of that?
Zero.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Exactly, but it's all academic. Fact is it will be done. As will the stretch south to Port Macquarie. When is the question

Also, despite what any of us think is the right sort of development, it will be developed. Recent history shows councils spruiking a mix to cover the needs of the wider community. Translated, that means some will be horrible estates with a mix of densities and some will be expansive blocks taken up by folk with more money than I'll likely ever have

Further loss of amenity is our future. I don't necessarily like it, but because govt. at all levels believe in growth, this is Australia
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Thud wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:45 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:

Phew, lucky I'm over sixty. Trev, we can afford to relax. We've got past the dangerous ages.
fuschia!! I'm right in the mid point.

Think an expansion on the third point would be good. That is the "unpreparedness" bit
It's a six part series. Most of the other five parts are about learning to prepare yourself.

on and trev and beanpole, would you have the faintest about how to help someone in a moment of critical peril in the water? Like how to use your board to do a rescue, what to think about and do in the process, how to perform CPR, what sort of help to ask for from bystanders?

I know both you guys have that thing going on among older men where you think you already know everything, but about this, you probably don't, and you could learn something that might help someone else in a crisis.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:50 pm

Just like any development there's a variety of ways to do it. South of Port is already developed but the retirement villages they've been banging up lately are a blot on the landscape. Very similar to those around Kiama. Not surprisingly as its usually the same companies doing the development. I don't blame anyone for buying a house. They inevitably create a high density suburb with little open space and no way for outsiders to interact with the developed area. So unless you buy into the development it's a closed book.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:43 pm
Thud wrote:
Beanpole wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:

It's a six part series. Most of the other five parts are about learning to prepare yourself.

on and trev and beanpole, would you have the faintest about how to help someone in a moment of critical peril in the water? Like how to use your board to do a rescue, what to think about and do in the process, how to perform CPR, what sort of help to ask for from bystanders?

I know both you guys have that thing going on among older men where you think you already know everything, but about this, you probably don't, and you could learn something that might help someone else in a crisis.
I do CPR every year and as I was saying the other day I used to be in the Seals. I've done my share of rescues over the years. Usually using my board to get someone to shore. Apart from taking the piss I'm sure we both know Trev and I are more likely to be on the receiving end of the rescue.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:57 pm

Good points, Nick, and I'll read with interest

Because of chronic injury, my capacity to surf what I once did without much consideration is greatly diminished. Primarily, it's to not imperil myself or others who would likely attempt my rescue. Dunno what I'd do if someone was in trouble and I was second guessing. I have trained in first aid and one of the biggies is to avoid becoming a victim yourself, but it's a fine line

Be pretty happy for someone to drag me out of a 3 ft shorey if required though. So long as it's not croissy :lol:
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:09 pm

About 10 years ago I was checking out a break called Bitumens - perfect day, waist high swell, 20 people out.

A set came through and after I noticed a board (a mal) floating, with no rider, on the inside. There was no-one near it, no-one swimming for it. I watched for about 30 seconds, maybe the rider had dived under the water?

Oh fcuk I thought he must be drowning. I started screaming my lungs out, waving my arms and pointing. It seemed to take forever, no-one was reacting, I screamed louder, jumped up and down, people in the water finally started to look at the fcuking idiot on the hill, I pointed and the penny finally dropped and the first person paddled over.

I didn't have my phone with me so I ran across the road to a house and told them to call for an ambulance. Ran back and there was a group of surfers with the guy on his board getting him back to shore. They got him back and took turns giving him CPR, the ambulance arrived about 15 minutes later.

They took over, but after another 30 minutes stopped, he had not survived. He was a local guy, about 60, overweight and not very fit looking, wife and kids.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Also about ten years ago....I was going to paddle out from Bronte out to Tama on my Taka mal. It was pretty solid but the rip was going to get me out fast. I noticed this guy with flippers and a hand plane on the shore....not the guy I mentioned the other day.....anyway...started paddling out and rolled a couple of waves. I was out behind the break and about to paddle up when I realised this guy had swum out and was next to me. He was shitting himself. He latched on to the front of the board and was going.."I've really misjudged this. I don't know how to get in."

There was no way I was going to get him back in through the break as it was too powerful. I got him settled down a bit and started waving for the clubbies to get the IRB. Meanwhile we started drifting over towards the Cemetery with the rip so I had to keep paddling against the rip for about fifteen minutes until the Rubber Duck came from Bondi.

After that I was too rooted to paddle up to Tama so I just caught a big close out in.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:43 pm
Thud wrote:
Beanpole wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:

Hey Nick. Not fair.
I'm bloody sure I can learn more.
And I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

I have been in a position to help people on a number of occasions over the years. Fortunately, no deaths as a result but that's not necessarily because of any superior knowledge on my behalf.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Yeah, I'll be watching them Nick
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Always interested in new useful information about Surf Safety. I worked in RPA Hospital as a porter briefly back in the Eighties and I definitely know I don't know everything about emergency care. Used to being told I don't know anything around here though. I will have a look when the other bits pop up.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:15 pm
Thud wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm
Well, sure you can have that attitude but your going to have to wear the consequences. I'm not anti development but I'm pretty wary of the type shitty development that a lot of regional council get on board with. The Farm is the classic example. Casuarina and Salt are a vast improvement on that. That's not saying much though. If they were just going to tar the road and that's all you can definitely make a case for that. Chance of that?
Zero.
I'm just saying it makes zero difference. Dirt road or tar sealed.
Beanpole wrote:

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Gee whiz, you wonder why they tar roads at all.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:23 pm

foamy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:47 pm
Gee whiz, you wonder why they tar roads at all.
Unsealed roads are much more fun. :d :d :d
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:35 pm

The back road between Port and Crescent through the 70s 80s and 90s was one of the shittest dirt roads around. Deep rut corrugations that fcuked suspension. Brain rattling stuff. I think it aided in keeping the crowds down. Once the road was graded more regularly and became easier to traverse things changed. Logs and barricades went up to stop people camping in those gem spots behind the beaches.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet