Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

offshore1
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by offshore1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:51 am

The good thing about all that misinformation Steve is that it gives you a tremendous advantage over all the cnuts who follow their advice. You're zigging while they're zagging.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 am

steve shearer wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:42 am
godsavethequeen wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 pm
Now, you are obviously not clueless but - and call me hypersensitive if you will - there seems to be a strong whiff of Australian exceptionalism, a kneejerk 'who do these pommie upstarts think they are' feeling behind a lot of the criticism.
I think, in this case, it might be justified. I met the MS owner/founder in Tahiti.

It's a good business, he's done well.

OK Day One.

Magic Seaweed says surf at Lennox Head is 5.5ft at 8s right now.

Current conditions: It's close to dead flat. Just a tiny little signal of leftover NE windswell and a smidgin of highly refracted S swell. About 0.5-1ft. Good morning for snorkelling off the rocks.
Surf will show this afternoon and peak tomorrow as this little S swell makes landfall.

Magic Seaweed shows surf peaking this morning and declining into tomorrow.

I give them an F for total fail if they can't even get a bog standard little winter S swell right.
Perhaps I was being kind in assuming you aren’t clueless. The latest buoy reading for Byron is 5.5 ft @ 8 secs
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:27 am

Magic seaweed doesn’t give a wave height on the beach for Lennox, just the swell height in the water
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 am

Well MS was pretty spot on for conditions when we bolted to Crescent a couple of weeks ago.....except for the star rating. That was way off....which was good.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:25 am
steve shearer wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:42 am
godsavethequeen wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 pm
Now, you are obviously not clueless but - and call me hypersensitive if you will - there seems to be a strong whiff of Australian exceptionalism, a kneejerk 'who do these pommie upstarts think they are' feeling behind a lot of the criticism.
I think, in this case, it might be justified. I met the MS owner/founder in Tahiti.

It's a good business, he's done well.

OK Day One.

Magic Seaweed says surf at Lennox Head is 5.5ft at 8s right now.

Current conditions: It's close to dead flat. Just a tiny little signal of leftover NE windswell and a smidgin of highly refracted S swell. About 0.5-1ft. Good morning for snorkelling off the rocks.
Surf will show this afternoon and peak tomorrow as this little S swell makes landfall.

Magic Seaweed shows surf peaking this morning and declining into tomorrow.

I give them an F for total fail if they can't even get a bog standard little winter S swell right.
Perhaps I was being kind in assuming you aren’t clueless. The latest buoy reading for Byron is 5.5 ft @ 8 secs
If they are using the Byron Buoy readings as proxies for surf reports for this area they are even more spectacularly clueless than i thought.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:50 am

I think the idea is that they give you their best estimate of the swell in the water and leave you to do the rest. Not for everyone, clearly, but there’s always the webcams
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:20 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:48 am
Four unforgettable days at the Newport Surf Racing Academy in Sydney, where you will be comprehensively out-swum, out-surfed, and finally half drowned on a bombie reef on a 10’ day by a bunch of 15-year-olds on paddleboards!
Gosh that Surf Racing Academy certainly sounds the absolute business! Tell me, how does it stack up against other Surf Racing Academies globally? Pretty high I’m sure
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:21 am

Well, I paddled out before first light this morning, fortuitously in a lull.

Sets were head and a half to double every half hour, conditions really clean and glassy with a light offshore, one other person out for the first hour, slowly up to 10 well spread out for the next. Got 6 good waves and was just able to paddle in over the reef as the tide was dropping.

Perfect session.

That racing academy is very appealing though
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:42 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:20 am
Nick Carroll wrote:
Four unforgettable days at the Newport Surf Racing Academy in Sydney, where you will be comprehensively out-swum, out-surfed, and finally half drowned on a bombie reef on a 10’ day by a bunch of 15-year-olds on paddleboards!
Gosh that Surf Racing Academy certainly sounds the absolute business! Tell me, how does it stack up against other Surf Racing Academies globally? Pretty high I’m sure
You do some of your best work when you are on the ground with a foot on your throat Godsave.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 am

*bows stiffly from the waist*
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:46 am

godsavethequeen wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:20 am
Nick Carroll wrote:
Well once again you will only know when three 12 year old girls are paddling rings around you and catching all the 1-2-4-6’ “head high” waves

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:50 am

I spent a bit of time down around the Shire of late, and must say that I was rather disappointed by the standard of surfing. Its fair to say that the standard of surfing in and around Sydney has slipped well behind that of the Gold Coast and Northern NSW.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:52 am

See the tragedy is godsave that until that month at Crabmeat’s Hospice, all this will remain as unguessable for you as a Magic Seaweed surf forecast.

A strange mystery on the other side of the planet...populated by extraordinary short bald superhumans with vast quivers of surfboards and terrible glares, shoals of large whales being simultaneously photographed and attacked by even larger shoals of great white sharks, and excessively expensive coastal real estate peppered with Grand Designs type bourgeois paradises, Audi All Road wagons, neurotic blonde women and dumb vicious property developers.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:52 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Well once again you will only know when three 12 year old girls are paddling rings around you and catching all the 1-2-4-6’ “head high” waves
I’m intrigued why you think this would happen
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:59 am

Dont lead with your chin Godsave

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:02 am

Noted. Until morning
Beanpole wrote:
Why would I wear a mask?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:12 am

Beanpole wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 am
Well MS was pretty spot on for conditions when we bolted to Crescent a couple of weeks ago.....except for the star rating. That was way off....which was good.
Interested to know why you used a surf forecast site based out of Devon, England to surf in NSW.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:16 am

I was just looking at wave height for ulus on Magic Seaweed. Today it varies from 8' to 6'. Then I thought why am I fcuking around with kJs? Feet are all all so simple, It drops just 2 feet from 8 to 6, the surf is going to be much the same all day, why bother with kJs, especially as I don't really enjoy being subject to near universal disdain and ridicule.

Then I looked at the kJs again. Hey they go from 3000 down to 1500 for today!

Wait, what? I know from experience that those kJs most probably mean the afternoon is going to be about half the size of the morning.

Oh yes, I remembered now, thats why I went to the trouble of going out early today.

On surf forecast sites I'll continue with the kJs thanks.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan