Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Werri beach breaks can be pretty magic, but I don't rate the rock point off south werri. Bit of a hoax wave really. Also, you gotta watch that first cutback section with how deep you drive back into the pocket. Cutback too deep and you can end up too far behind the section on recovery , which means getting rinsed over the rocks as I once found out.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Ffs petulance I already told you

TAKE OFF ON THE FUCKEN PEAK!
Erase.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:54 pm

exactly. taking off on the shoulder is just making things harder for yourself petulance. learn to love the pocket.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:14 pm

I found myself completely flummoxed by the crowds this weekend. Good Friday I arrived at the Point 3pm with oily 3-5ft rights rolling right down the length of the Point and expected to see 50 guys at least scrapping over every piece of wave energy. There was 15. Locals enjoying languid conversations, cube monkeys getting the waves of their (miserable) lives, euro backpackers likewise.
Sunday mid-morning with a sheet glass sea and perfect sunshine and 4-5ft sets freight training down the line and the crowd was a similar size. Relaxed vibes, smiles on dials all around.
There seemed to be an intense and overwhelming joy that the surf camera had been defeated.
Whether that had anything to do with the low crowd, I don't know. It definitely didn't hurt it.
It was a sublime weekend of surfing perfect sub-tropical point surf with low crowds.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Holiday surfing is fucked I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm a bit sore after paddling against the rip for five days.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Wubic Pig
Harry the Hat

Post by Wubic Pig » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Maybe some good has come out of these evil festivals??? They were all dicking around there...

And guilty as charged :oops: miles of empty beachbreaks looking for someone to paddle out next to :lol:
Beanpole wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:44 pm
You have nothing I want or need.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:24 am

was there though? I only checked the beachies around here and that long straight E swell was producing predictable results: 90% closeouts. Can't think of too many beachies that can really handle those long period straight E swells, unless you want to spend all session looking for a corner.

Maybe we have reached a turning point in our glorious pastime where people have simply quit surfing?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:41 am

steve shearer wrote:was there though? I only checked the beachies around here and that long straight E swell was producing predictable results: 90% closeouts. Can't think of too many beachies that can really handle those long period straight E swells, unless you want to spend all session looking for a corner.

Maybe we have reached a turning point in our glorious pastime where people have simply quit surfing?
people haven't quit surfing you raging nutsack!

there were no beachies up here holding the swell ... there weren't even corners. you were limited to paddling inside and catching the secondary swell (which would have been epic head high fun peaks and spread out everybody, if it was the only swell in the water). but sitting inside was a problem because that long range swell had some thick, proper bombs up in the 6ft range on the pulse of the making tide. no fun wearing it on the head.

the point closest to me was a write-off. i drove down there (at 1st light) thinking I might be able to go sit out wide and wait for sets. 3 different people in different cars either cut me off, or nearly backed into me on my way there. I got to the bridge and just turned around and went back home for some yoga and a day off.

all in all ... the easter break was a proper mong frenzy of out-of-towners trying to condense two week's worth of living into their 4-day easter break. easter is always the same in that regard. people in a hurry, fucking over other people in a hurry. everyone wears blinkers dispalys the very worst human attributes.

I can't ever imagine being part of that particular herd where I'm looking to bounce away for easter. the traffic, the crowds and the sheer stupidity of it all just fails me. long live us, the regional hicks, who choose this as our everyday life, and not a holiday destination.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:44 am

word.

I was getting 600m full speed luge runs on those bombs. You should have come down and billeted out at casa shearer for the easter. There were lots of easter eggs.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:46 am

Plenty of good banks a bit North of you Steve.
I know of at least 3.

I also got a fcukload of waves at the Pass over Easter, and a couple of sneaky sessions elsewhere. Was weird. I was averaging 10-15 waves an hour at the most user friendly wave on the east coast, with clean 2 footers on the busiest weekend of the year.

It seemed like the bay was full of Brazilians, Irish and Germans that didn't surf. And the baby boomers. It seems like Byron had priced itself out of the family holiday market.

And from the sounds of things, all the fcukwits went to the Goldy instead.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:48 am

steve shearer wrote:word.

I was getting 600m full speed luge runs on those bombs. You should have come down and billeted out at casa shearer for the easter. There were lots of easter eggs.

i thought about it ... but the traffic home would have nixed all those good vibrations I would have had from an epic surf.
Kunji wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:49 am

alakaboo wrote: It seemed like the bay was full of Brazilians, Irish and Germans that didn't surf. And the baby boomers. It seems like Byron had priced itself out of the family holiday market.

wouldn't that be nice. probably nothing more than what merkin said. the whole place is booked out with festival goers, and not surfing families.

maybe i'll go to byron next easter.
Kunji wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:50 am

well exactly Boo. The baby boomers who come up for the Bluesfest don't surf. That creates a vacuum.
I drove past the Pass on many occassia .....the lines looked divine.

Braithy I would have put you on the road at 3am with a black coffee and an omelette for a smooth ride up the highway. You're tucked up in bed before dawn dreaming of point grinders.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:51 am

well maybe a couple of iced up B-double drivers to keep you honest.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:52 am

I also got home in under 2 hours yesterday Arvo. Only slow traffic was the southern Goldy.

And the German boosies and Brazilian booties are a salve for the eyes.
Last edited by alakaboo on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:52 am

okay Steve. Next easter, it's a date!

appreciate it!
Kunji wrote:

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:17 am

Brian Brainwave wrote:all in all ... the easter break was a proper mong frenzy of out-of-towners trying to condense two week's worth of living into their 4-day easter break. easter is always the same in that regard. people in a hurry, fucking over other people in a hurry. everyone wears blinkers dispalys the very worst human attributes.

I can't ever imagine being part of that particular herd where I'm looking to bounce away for easter. the traffic, the crowds and the sheer stupidity of it all just fails me. long live us, the regional hicks, who choose this as our everyday life, and not a holiday destination.
So, so true.