Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by petulance » Mon May 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Cranked wrote:Padang small and gnarly, more skill required when its smaller. About 20 out at 6pm.
I surfed Impossibles most of the day
How was Impossibles compared to Padang Padang and Ulus?
Cranked wrote:Not me Legion, there's a number of reasons its never crowded over 8', despite the 100s of good surfers on the island
Ok, I'm going to ask ... what are the reasons?
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon May 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 25, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon May 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Yeah but I'm not any good.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon May 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Conditions are perfect, but still only 9 out: 3 at the bomby, 3 at the peak and 3 at the corner.

Why are so few out? First is ability, next is the ratio of effort to the number of waves caught: sets are every 30 mins or so, and its hard to be in just the right place to catch them, so those 9 guys are probably getting only a few waves per hour between all of them. Plus long paddles and no help available if something goes wrong. I did see someone get a huge set wave from the bomby through to the end of the peak, 6-700m? The only wave caught during the 40 odd minutes I wa watching.

And there's going to be some huge rogue sets every hour or two.

Padang Padang is firing, fourty in the water. Impossibles seems much smaller, but I did see a monster set go through when I was at Padang.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 16, 2016 4:44 pm

you could at least post a photo Cranked.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon May 16, 2016 4:58 pm

yep, for all we know he's 1000 miles inland dipping his balls into hot candle wax all in the name of buddha.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon May 16, 2016 4:58 pm

just for something completely different.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon May 16, 2016 5:16 pm

Braithy you're my hero.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon May 16, 2016 5:23 pm

When I get back. I've no way of uploading the pics to my phone or tablet. Wide angle pics from my phone or tablet wouldn't do it justice.

Surfed Impossibles late morning but too sectiony, just went back and there were just two surfers about 600-700m out to sea, mega sets that are way to serious for me, so I'm off to Ulus with my camera, outside corner should be breaking. Padang Padang is doing its incredible stuff

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon May 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Braithy wrote:yep, for all we know he's 1000 miles inland dipping his balls into hot candle wax all in the name of buddha.
What! Hmmm, yeah, ok, I'll give it a shot.

alexisanchez
charger

Post by alexisanchez » Mon May 16, 2016 7:43 pm

Opposite end of spectrum to Cranked but I had the most enjoyable surf today. Took my 5 yr old nephew down to the River mouth. There is so much sand at low tide you can walk out 100+ metres from end of the groyne.
We jumped in in front of coast guard tower on a big old log and had a gentle float out into the line up just as tide was changing. Picture perfect day, still warm water and long, long little right handers brushed by a light off shore. Like a mini DI and with only a couple of old fellas on longboards and a few Sups for company.
The stoke the little fella had was infectious and lifted the already mellow vibe. By the end he was getting a few by himself as I pushed him into and I swear he stood for 30 seconds on one.
Walked back to frying pan for a short paddle back to showers and an ice cream. Life doesn't get much better

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon May 16, 2016 8:13 pm

Thanks for the info, Cranked. Sounds like a lot of hard work. Is it not possible to sit wide and hope to snag a smaller wave?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Sit wide and snag a big one I would have thought.
Sit inside for a small one and get steamrollered.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 17, 2016 6:42 am

thats nice Alex. sometimes, despite surfing's rep as being a pursuit for selfish bastards, the best times are just pushing a kid into some babyfood and sharing the stoke.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue May 17, 2016 7:19 am

petulance wrote:Thanks for the info, Cranked. Sounds like a lot of hard work. Is it not possible to sit wide and hope to snag a smaller wave?
If you saw the awesome spectacle of a half hourly set moving into Ulus you would not make that suggestion. There is nowhere wide to sit, inside certainly, but thats virtually suicidal, you won't have time to paddle 100-200m to avoid the sets when they come, you will be hit by 10' of white water and swept a kilometer or so down the coast within minutes.

Yesterday from the cliffs I saw someone swimming after a set, never saw his board, he was trying to swim in but was about to be swept past the cave, he waved his arms in that "I need help" signal. He must have been exhausted and starting to panic, realising if he missed the cave the next place to get in would probably be Impossibles. But there is no help. He put his head down and swam like fcuk, and luckily picked up the front edge of a surge that got him in

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue May 17, 2016 7:21 am

Speaking of kids out having fun surfing. I was watching Padang Padang doing its craxy thing when this little guy who looked about 10 years old appeared. He had a red Gath helmet on and had obviously been surfing! He was so small! He's gonna be some surfer when he grows up.

He asked the most professional looking photographer there if he had any footage of him. He did, and they arranged to get them for him.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 17, 2016 8:06 am

Doesn't it make you feel completely human when you see those sets roll through and you don't have a place to hide? Gulp.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Tue May 17, 2016 8:08 am

Cranked wrote:
petulance wrote:Thanks for the info, Cranked. Sounds like a lot of hard work. Is it not possible to sit wide and hope to snag a smaller wave?
If you saw the awesome spectacle of a half hourly set moving into Ulus you would not make that suggestion. There is nowhere wide to sit, inside certainly, but thats virtually suicidal, you won't have time to paddle 100-200m to avoid the sets when they come, you will be hit by 10' of white water and swept a kilometer or so down the coast within minutes.
The biggest I have seen it was probably 4ft at low tide and I managed to get a smaller one before almost being pushed all the way to Padang Padang.