Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Joschka
regular

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Joschka » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Last edited by Joschka on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:16 pm

Mid Werri. Waist to chest high, dredgy sprinters. The most I could hope for was a quick cover up, or carve off the top, while belting down the line trying to stay in front of it.

Small long period dead south swells suck. Too small for the reefs, and mostly useless on the beachies.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:52 pm

Longy...

Surfed the left on that bank at the lagoon...

Had to surf the log but Oh my days i had fun by myself...

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:23 pm

petulance wrote:
Cranked wrote:The road between the north and south access to Ulus is closed for a year, they're building a new bridge, so its even quieter on the south side now
Which road is this? I always thought there was one road leading from Ungasan/ Pecatu to Ulus. Think it is called Jalan Labuan Sait. Is the new bridge replacing the Padang Padang bridge?
There's two roads from Pecatu to Ulus, just don't turn right. The Padang Padang bridge is not affected. Its the roller coaster bit of road where 8 koreans died last year.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Mid Werri. Waist to chest high, dredgy sprinters. The most I could hope for was a quick cover up, or carve off the top, while belting down the line trying to stay in front of it.

Small long period dead south swells suck. Too small for the reefs, and mostly useless on the beachies.
Closer to home has been fun last couple days on the low tide.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 am

Cranked wrote:
petulance wrote: Which road is this? I always thought there was one road leading from Ungasan/ Pecatu to Ulus. Think it is called Jalan Labuan Sait. Is the new bridge replacing the Padang Padang bridge?
There's two roads from Pecatu to Ulus, just don't turn right. The Padang Padang bridge is not affected. Its the roller coaster bit of road where 8 koreans died last year.
Ah. I always thought there was only one road was you head south after the Padang Padang bridge.
Drailed wrote: Closer to home has been fun last couple days on the low tide.
Only been hitting it on the high tide. Still, better than nothing.

Joschka wrote: Yeah, dirt track from memory, and I remember it being a bit of a rabbit's warren just driving there on the moped, got lost a few times. First time you lay eyes on it it's like looking at a postcard; no other place like it, at least on Bukit. I surfed it for 2 days, but there wasn't much swell at the time so remember it being pretty soft, mostly 3ft with the odd overhead, and smaller further away from the point, so overall wasn't particularly challenging. The lineups were mostly Euros (Russians) who couldn't surf for shit, with 2 or 3 locals and maybe a few 'brews from South Africa who actually were capable and had some idea what they were doing.
Yeah it is a pretty soft wave a high tide whenever I have been out. Definitely the most beginner friendly wave on the Bukit, in my opinion. Almost had the point to myself once. It was perfect ... shoulder high, clean and everyone else was in front of the warungs. Turns out no one was there because a huge school of jellyfish had clogged up the point.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:42 am

Thought I might get a surf in this morning so checked out Impossibles at about 7:30am. It was looking good, 3 guys sitting about 150m out, waves breaking a bit further inside. After about 15 min a set started showing at least a k out to sea, surfers happily oblivious, they eventually spot the first wave and start paddling out, it breaks at least 100m outside of them, a 10' cliff of surging white water hits them, they all disappear.

I wait, but don't see them surface, nothing in the surging water, gone! I assume they were swept down to Bingan in a river of whitewater.

Hmmm, looks like its yoga again today.

By the way, its not a surf bonanza even for the guys who can handle the conditions. There's a set every 20-30 mins, when a set finally arrives usually no one catches a wave, every couple of sets someone paddles in, but usually gets eaten or pulls out. The exception of course is Padang Padang, its been firing on all cylinders, but you have to share with 60 new friends, all packed in a fairly small take off zone

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:19 am

Cranked wrote: Hmmm, looks like its yoga again today.

By the way, its not a surf bonanza even for the guys who can handle the conditions. There's a set every 20-30 mins, when a set finally arrives usually no one catches a wave, every couple of sets someone paddles in, but usually gets eaten or pulls out. The exception of course is Padang Padang, its been firing on all cylinders, but you have to share with 60 new friends, all packed in a fairly small take off zone
How's your downward dog and wheel going?

I saw a video posted on YouTube. I think it was Padang Padang and Ulus. The former was packed. Guys out there on normal shortboards. The clip showed a few drop ins. The latter was relatively empty and bigger with guys out there on guns.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Great surf today, 4 hour session, 3-6', occasional 8' sets (faces). Crowds came and went, it rained and was sunny, swell seemed to drop and came back again, got heaps of waves, one 400m set wave, right through the crowds at three different take off zones, then another 3 x 300m rides, all pedal to the metal from go to whoa. Padang Padang still firing.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:37 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Percival
Local

Post by Mr Percival » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:04 pm

Last edited by Mr Percival on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Legion wrote:What's with the faces? Are you Trev?
Well I have to qualify my measurement system because I can pretty well estimate using the Imperial standard foot, unlike the Hawiian foot which seems to be somewhere between 3-6 Imperial feet, depending on the observer, time of day, season or something; or body parts which again seem quite ill defined.
Last edited by Cranked on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:55 pm

Mr Percival wrote:Are you on the big 8 foot board Cranked?
I had to make an agonising decision this morning Mr P, should I take the 7' or 7'6. After much vacillation I settled on the 7'6, with a hefty 63l of wave catching volume. The results speak for themselves, and seeing I was giving away about 30 years on the next oldest person in the water, I don't think it was too unfair an advantage.

Never-the-less, I think my biggest advantage was the Hawiian from Rocky Point I was surfing and chatting with, he was amusing himself while waiting for the tide to drop so he could go surf Padang, he had an uncanny ability for wave selection, and even called me into the best wave that I rode, so I stuck to him.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:44 pm

well I have been fully tortured over recent days with all these photos of a swell that was named after a friend of mine who died last week and whose death ironically prevented me from travelling to the place I'd have chosen to visit on this swell.

which was rolling on into 8' plus barrels with two people out.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Yeah I was thinking of you Nick. Irony and death, huh?

Think they had a few pulses of 12-foot too.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:23 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:well I have been fully tortured over recent days with all these photos of a swell that was named after a friend of mine who died last week and whose death ironically prevented me from travelling to the place I'd have chosen to visit on this swell.

which was rolling on into 8' plus barrels with two people out.

You called roti didn't you?
I saw evidence.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:33 am

yeah I did. and I am going to regret this for some time.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:17 pm

el rancho wrote:
You called roti didn't you?
I saw evidence.
He would have enjoyed his namesake swell, but you had to be there before its arrival.
The Baa ferry was stopped due to the swell coming up it's route.
I would not like to be on any ferry that goes down but that one would guarantee 100% casualties. no outer decks
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?