Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Donweather » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:12 pm

Braithy, super low tide? Meh? The low tides are like 0.5m at the moment with feck all run particularly the daytime high.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:32 pm

Cronulla Point for the first time today. The rest of that stretch was a wind affected mess, with only the Point offering some respite from the southerly.

I was struggling to make the rock jump as I missed my first chance by nearly falling into a gap between the rocks. And then I had to wait for a while as the waves kept coming in. Then a guy who was about to go out tells me that there is a better place to jump off and not only does he show me where it is but he told me exactly when to jump.

I thanked him once I got into the water. I only found out later on that after he saw me struggilng to get into the water, he actually paddled back in and walked up to the jump off point so that he could get me into the water! How is that for going above and beyond the call of duty?
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:36 am

el rancho wrote:
heaps of tuna busting up baitfish out the back
Never seen so many huge longtails in close range.

Had an absolute ball chasing head high beachbreak and getting massive tuna hook-ups off the stones.

I tried, I really tried to give a fcuk about Kelly leaving Quik but it was too remote, too esoteric to care about.

Five hook-ups, zero fish landed. These things are fcuking gnarly. My arms are killing me.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:14 am

petulance wrote:Cronulla Point for the first time today. The rest of that stretch was a wind affected mess, with only the Point offering some respite from the southerly.

I was struggling to make the rock jump as I missed my first chance by nearly falling into a gap between the rocks. And then I had to wait for a while as the waves kept coming in. Then a guy who was about to go out tells me that there is a better place to jump off and not only does he show me where it is but he told me exactly when to jump.

I thanked him once I got into the water. I only found out later on that after he saw me struggilng to get into the water, he actually paddled back in and walked up to the jump off point so that he could get me into the water! How is that for going above and beyond the call of duty?
Who says locals are heavy at Cronulla?
Thats great Petulance.
I was having a beer after work a while ago with this pommie guy I work with and another guy who grew up in Blacktown. We were discussing surfing and this guy told a story of him and his mate catching the train to Cronulla from Blacktown with their boards. Paddle out at the point and this guy comes up and punches his friend in the nose. Blood everywhere and he tells them to go in. This spooked the pommie guy a bit.
Just be careful out there if you go again. There is a massive difference between a small day and even a slightly bigger set sometimes. You can really get caned.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:42 am

Donweather wrote:Braithy, super low tide? Meh? The low tides are like 0.5m at the moment with feck all run particularly the daytime high.

Yeah well tell the beachie at the end of my street that. Brown, sandy closeouts until the last half of the high tide here.

And driving on the weekends is for spuds, I'm afraid.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:50 am

Beanpole wrote: Just be careful out there if you go again. There is a massive difference between a small day and even a slightly bigger set sometimes. You can really get caned.
It isn't going to be a regular occurrence. I was only there because the point offered protection from the southerly. After all, if you ever see me in the water, it means that conditions are small.

It was a weird break though. I always thought point breaks would offer long peeling walls but you had to be in the right spot to take off for this one. No taking off on the shoulder, and the peak seemed to keep moving. The groms had the place dialled in, and so did what I presumed were the locals. Lots of paddling around for positioning.

And how is this for a coincidence ... I spoke to one of the guys at my regular during the week and he said he was moving out to Cronulla. Lo and behold, he was in the water at the Point yesterday.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Well you know it's really a rock shelf rather than your conventional point break. I've only surfed there a few times but I remember one time it was fairly small and fun but a slightly bigger one came through and really slammed this guy hard. Held him down for ages. He was a local so he just handled it but it basically breaks in the same spot as it gets bigger. Just gets bigger and thicker.
Definitely a lot of places I'd rather surf at size but its fun on a smaller day.

Quite happy to kick back today. The surfs been crap but I've been in the water heaps lately plus running myself ragged at work. Feeling fit for Easter getaway.
Hope there's some surf. This will have to be one of the busiest Easter breaks on record with Anzac Day coming up at the end of the week too.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Today was pretty much a carbon copy of yesterday.
Spaghetti arms - haven't had them for ages.
And sore calf muscles. :B
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Beanpole wrote:Well you know it's really a rock shelf rather than your conventional point break.
Damnit. So I still haven't surfed a conventional point break yet.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:45 pm

Fairy Bower is probably the closest thing you'll find in Sydney.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:13 pm

Karlos wrote:Fairy Bower is probably the closest thing you'll find in Sydney.
And a top spot it is, too.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:04 pm

Some nice ones on the island over the weekend!
Attachments
IMG_0774.jpg
DPP_0002.jpg
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:34 pm

I propose that Ledge be banned from posting pics on this forum.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:49 pm

I second that notion!
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:22 pm

alakaboo wrote:I propose that Ledge be banned from posting pics on this forum.
It's okay, I promise to post pics of the crappy onshore conditions that are about a month away!
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:21 pm

ledge's photos insired my to try an afternoon surf... just after high tide, stiff onshore and a massive rip with waves going every which way. i wouldn't say it was my worst surf ever, but that's only because i didn't get whacked unconscious by my own board.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:12 pm

2 days ago, the beachies were firing.....4 ft and clean peaks....
www.MOREsurfboards.com

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Reluctant afternoon surf. Decided to drag an old board out. Very crunchy and rippy. Got two peaks. Board went well and might get into it a bit more when conditions are promising.

Nearly ran over a mate body surfing on the inside so decided two was enough and went for a beer.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?