Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by swvic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Short answer, yes. Witnessed a pretty big slump over here during winter. Would've been lucky to survive if it landed on you. It's only likely to happen when there's evidence of it occurring on a smaller scale. So if you see some new slumping at the bottom of a steep dune, it could happen if waves are still cutting into it. If you have a good look at Gunna next time you're there you'll probably be able to see scars on the dune faces

The photos show what's possible. One big set could bring tonnes of sand down in shot a. In shot b, either a large swell or a spring high tide could easily bring more of the dune down. The more it slumps, the higher it gets and the greater the volume of sand in the next slump

Marram grass usually survives the slumping and continues grow in the sand left on the beach. Holds it together for a time until it gets steeper and steeper only for it all to start again. You're smart to be wary of walking under a steep 6m dune, especially if water is getting to it

marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:03 pm

^^^

Jesus that sounds pretty fcuken dangerous. I was talking to a guy out in the water that reckons he's seen it worse but it must have been a while back, pretty sure I haven't seen anything remotely looking like it for as long as I can remember.

On the plus side it will hopefully improve the banks for a time (they've been ordinary for years) but the beach is pretty much not there at the moment, well at 1 hour either side of high tide anyway. Probably not ideal for the coming tourist season in a month or so.

I may head out for a dawnie on Monday, I'll try and remember to take some pics
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:38 pm

yep.

he's got his own boat now though.

how was it up there Saltman?

any big beachies handling?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:08 pm

All sand cliffs will slump as they dry out, as a rule of thumb they collapse to 1.5 times the height of the scarp. The angle of repose of dry sand is something like 35 degrees, the angle of wet (but not saturated) sand is something like 120.
Think about making a sandcastle, moist sand will stand upright, dry sand just falls into a flatter pile.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:29 pm

saltman wrote:Steve
That Cliff wouldnt be
Occasionally employed on trawlers and sometimes bouncer at the lobster pot? (decades ago)

farken still an angry old cnut eh steve? thought he might of mellowed out a bit by now :lol:

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:31 pm

alakaboo wrote:All sand cliffs will slump as they dry out, as a rule of thumb they collapse to 1.5 times the height of the scarp. The angle of repose of dry sand is something like 35 degrees, the angle of wet (but not saturated) sand is something like 120.
Think about making a sandcastle, moist sand will stand upright, dry sand just falls into a flatter pile.
Yes, but marram grass holds the slope of a dry dune together somewhat. The dune has to be undercut for major slumping common to coastal primary dune systems. There's usually some moisture (variable amounts) within the dune too which helps stabilisation

For Hatchy; The scarp is the height of an earlier slump. Therefore, applying the 1.5 rule (see 'boo's post), the steep 6m dune you were referring to, would turn into a 9m steep dune following another slumping event. That's a fcuk of a lot of sand to land on a person

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:28 pm

swvic wrote:
alakaboo wrote:All sand cliffs will slump as they dry out, as a rule of thumb they collapse to 1.5 times the height of the scarp. The angle of repose of dry sand is something like 35 degrees, the angle of wet (but not saturated) sand is something like 120.
Yes, but marram grass holds the slope of a dry dune together somewhat. The dune has to be undercut for major slumping common to coastal primary dune systems. There's usually some moisture (variable amounts) within the dune too which helps stabilisation

For Hatchy; The scarp is the height of an earlier slump. Therefore, applying the 1.5 rule (see 'boo's post), the steep 6m dune you were referring to, would turn into a 9m steep dune following another slumping event. That's a fcuk of a lot of sand to land on a person
We're talking about something a bit different, I'm talking about slumping (post storm) rather than undercutting (during a storm or high tide).
Either way, stay away from sand cliffs.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Agreed

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:56 pm

alakaboo wrote:the angle of wet (but not saturated) sand is something like 120.
Past vertical (ie an overhang)!!!!! :wink:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 pm

Donweather wrote:
alakaboo wrote:the angle of wet (but not saturated) sand is something like 120.
Past vertical (ie an overhang)!!!!! :wink:
Internal angle Don. Think it's actually a fair bit higher.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:03 pm

alakaboo wrote:This morning was hella fun.
2-4ft pointbreak, light to no wind, sunny and warm, long walls. Rode a single fin, as god intended.
It must have been heaps smaller up the Sunny Coast then, if that's where you were.

These shots show the size at anywhere with SE or E exposure.

http://www.surfinglife.com.au/photos/ga ... rocks-show

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Just back from Devon - first surf in 3 months and ya wouldnt believe it - sun out, 18 degs, water 15 degs and 4-5ft offshore peaks.
Surf fitness woeful though, didn't realise it would degenerate so quickly. Was blaming the 4/3 wetsuit, but I was weak. Got some fun ones though, and amazed by the crowd dynamic, no hassling whatsoever with about 50 peeps out.

the dreams that stuff was made of

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:21 am

That looks familiar Murrum. Can't remember the name of the place. Near where the missus' dad lives in South Pool. We've been to that beach ...maybe the same, s/w from Salcombe. It was Xmas, several years ago, and I was impressed with the eager groms I saw go out. Fcuk, it must have been close to sub zero then.

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:12 am

Croyde, near Saunton. Not far from Ilfracombe where Damian Hirst has just installed a 10m high cast bronze half dissected pregnant woman, positioned right at the harbour entrance - to much consternation from the locals.
Best beer - Tribute cornish ale.
the dreams that stuff was made of

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:40 am

Surfed Newports path yesterday....quite fun.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:58 pm

6.15 am at Kings Beach, Friday.
Farkin hell.

Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:22 pm

murrum wrote:Croyde, near Saunton. Not far from Ilfracombe where Damian Hirst has just installed a 10m high cast bronze half dissected pregnant woman, positioned right at the harbour entrance - to much consternation from the locals.
Best beer - Tribute cornish ale.
There's Saunton, Braunton and Taunton in that area.

That some fun looking Croyde but I could never get over the brown cold water.

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:28 pm

you picked the right weekend, murrum. today it's 2.6 degrees and flat
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?