Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:thought you'd wade in on this one...

More than happy to eat fish sustainably...got any pikchas of skipjack, or fingermark for that matter?

Yep southern bluefin...endangered right? Don't the japs still covet it and break maritime laws aka. whaling and sell for humungo $$$ on the tokyo fish market floor?

And sand whiting is darn tiny innit...meaning hard to cook well...if at all?

And flathead...caught a cracker in pittwater on easter sunday...just a light coating of flour and on the bbq plate with some butter. Can you do flathead sashimi? Used to congratulate myself on it being my favourite way back when it was half the price of everything else. These days it's totally in fashion and top shelf expensive. Beautiful, versatile fish.
guessing you meant me...
Skipjack - most canned fish in Oz is skipjack, Safcol rates the best according to the greenies
Fingermark (was yanking your chain a bit, it's the same as a golden snapper, though I rate it far better than the red)

Yep, Japs and Koreans still fishin the arse out of the bluefin.

Can eat flathead raw, it's very sweet and works well. Bit hard to do flathead sashimi if you get technical about it, the texture isn't right for it though the bits around the wings go alright.

Sand whiting are much smaller, but also much tastier. I don't buy it though, fish is always better fresh but 100x so for whiting.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:46 pm

I didn't realise this was a fishing forum!!! :wink:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:48 pm

don't worry, there's another thread about apples.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:00 pm

daryl wrote:walnuts are one of the highest source of protein available. They are gods nuts
What, you mean they taste like god's testicles right. I'm with Ron. They're a shit nut. I don't care how healthy they are, they're as nasty as brazil nuts.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Shelled a big jar of walnuts for my brothers to take to mum but they ate them on the drive from Adelaide to Queensland.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:40 pm

I'd forgive the heinous wankiness of putting nuts in a fish stew, though ground up maccas make a beautiful red fish curry............but using spanish mackie fillets is un-fcuking-forgiveable.

Fish stew is invented to use the shitt bits or otherwise crappy little fish that are too hard to fillet properly.

The marseilles'ese use the little red rock cod for the bouillabaise, we have equivalents.

The best fish stew comes from the head and wings of fresh fish. Snapper, barramundi, jewies all work. Blue(threadfin) salmon is off the scale good. Go to the fishmongers to the waste bins and make an offer on the heads and wings. I've got 'em for a song in snapper season when the bins are overflowing.
Use a fresh stock.
Be careful to not over-cook the flesh; it's delicate. The cheek meat and slivers of meat in the pectoral grooves are the sweetest meats on the fish.
Don't use large reef fish unless you want ciguatera.
Add shellfish, mud crabs or whatever if you're flushed and want the deluxe version.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

the trout
Grommet

Post by the trout » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:10 pm

The best fish stew comes from the head and wings of fresh fish. Snapper, barramundi, jewies all work. Blue(threadfin) salmon is off the scale good. Go to the fishmongers to the waste bins and make an offer on the heads and wings. I've got 'em for a song in snapper season when the bins are overflowing.
Use a fresh stock.
Be careful to not over-cook the flesh; it's delicate. The cheek meat and slivers of meat in the pectoral grooves are the sweetest meats on the fish.
Don't use large reef fish unless you want ciguatera.
Add shellfish, mud crabs or whatever if you're flushed and want the deluxe version.[/quote]

and dont forget the eyes best with olives :lol:

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Can't beat spanish mackerel cutlets done two minutes a side on a very hot griddle and served with a salsa verde - same for kingie cutlets.

Reckon ocean jackets are one of the most underrated fish around, and ridiculously cheap. Like them grilled and served with a caper, parsley and butter sauce.

Reckon ocean mullet and slimy mackerel are also underrated.

John Dory would have to rank towards the top of the "table fish" rankings, though mirror dory is almost as good and only a fraction of the price.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Tickle your panties? Moist with desire? Something ya wanna tell us Braithy? We're all friends here.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:49 pm

haha! No, everything is all where it should be.

Talking fish gets Braithy excited.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm

Donweather wrote:I didn't realise this was a fishing forum!!! :wink:
I didn't realise this was a fish cooking forum!!!

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Caught a fcrkin cracker whiting about 1m off the beach at my local on Sunday. Biggest I've ever caught.Cooked the bastard up on Sunday night about an hour after catching it.Sensational.Hadn't had whiting in a long time.Possibly better than flatty

One of the most under rated eating fish is Bonito.Either as sashimi, or cubed, lightly dusted and pan fried.

And how good are the blue swimmers at the moment.Love eating those bastards.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:26 pm

I didn't catch anything, hit one just my tip is splayed out and blunt now from hitting rock.

The movement was holding me up, couldn't dive which hasn't happened before, one kid said I have baby flippers.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 pm

One of the most fun times ive ever had fishing was me and 3 mates on a boat in between kangaroo island and port lincoln. Bag limits of KG whiting each and a couple of decent snapper each. Man those kidney slappers are fun to catch on light gear.

Beautiful to eat.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:48 pm

My best fishing times were pulling in schoolie shark nets, and pots,
the winch has a satisfying mechanical advantage, flick go your hands winding in pots.

Big blue fish and whopping schnapper were a bonus, even holes in the net you could drive a car through, the idea of interaction with massive shark was intoxicating

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:38 am

Sorry to get off topic masterchefs but gee snapper had nice banks all last week. Tiny for the most part but some impressive little barrels were attacked by the groms who appeared to be there for some comp. Burleigh seems to have banks halfway out to straddie and a gutter on the inside. Hey I even got some little waves at the Pass on my quad on Monday last week. Ridiculous what those things can make fun really.

Now back to the fish stew. Fish like trout are good with lentils. It might even mask the wet mouldy newspaper taste of mullet.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:26 am

ˆˆYeah it's flukey banks all around here. Large gutters that you have to wade or paddle across, but once you're finally out there, there are some of the most epic straight-edged sand lineups I've surfed in about 5+ years.

Weird, the whole inside gutter phenomenon happening at the moment.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:01 am

Did you find some ruler edged sand this morning Braithy?