Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

ledge71
Local
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:25 pm
Location: Sunny Coast QLD & a PNG Island:)

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by ledge71 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:03 pm

Heading back to the island tomorrow. Looks like some good swell on its way up there...fingers crossed.

Cya all in three weeks.
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

diggerdickson
barnacle
Posts: 2322
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 am
Location: home is where the heart is.

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:17 am

ledge71 wrote:Heading back to the island tomorrow. Looks like some good swell on its way up there...fingers crossed.

Cya all in three weeks.

cya ledge, maybe next time your back in town might get a surf in with you and the old man. :wink:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

User avatar
bumfluff
Owl status
Posts: 3651
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:12 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by bumfluff » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Have fun Ledge..

Looks like the swells picking up already :lol:

It was looking pretty flat next week but the swell forecast has bumped up a bit and there should be a few offshore days too. :shock:

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 23423
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:44 pm

They say if conditions are the same as yesterday and you got waves then, you should go back to the same spot today.
Which is what I did.
R St again but a bit earlier and I actually got 4 or 5 waves on my lonesone before all my new best friends (about 25 this time) arrived.
There were still enough to go round, both lefts and rights.
Paddled out alone, wondering if there was any nasty sea life lurking. Saw a large fin cutting through the water heading south about 200 m further out. Took a while to determine it was a dolphin. Calm and settled I then realised it had gone under and stayed under - not a dolphin trait :roll:
Maybe I just lost sight of it but I gambled on it not backtracking, besides there was a guy swimming not far from me. :wink:
Water was clear as a bell, sand bottom a favourable sandbar which seemed to curve around and back tp the shore giving longish rides.
The only problem is that on the northern side of this is a deep gutter which goes right in close to the beach and the waves here are eating away at the sand dunes which at this point are probably 3 stories high. Nasty situation affecting only about 300 - 400 m of shoreline. Hope the gutter fills in soon.
#sixfeetissixfeet!

User avatar
bumfluff
Owl status
Posts: 3651
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:12 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by bumfluff » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:27 pm

TrevG wrote:They say if conditions are the same as yesterday and you got waves then, you should go back to the same spot today.
Which is what I did.
R St again but a bit earlier and I actually got 4 or 5 waves on my lonesone before all my new best friends (about 25 this time) arrived.
There were still enough to go round, both lefts and rights.
Paddled out alone, wondering if there was any nasty sea life lurking. Saw a large fin cutting through the water heading south about 200 m further out. Took a while to determine it was a dolphin. Calm and settled I then realised it had gone under and stayed under - not a dolphin trait :roll:
Maybe I just lost sight of it but I gambled on it not backtracking, besides there was a guy swimming not far from me. :wink:
Water was clear as a bell, sand bottom a favourable sandbar which seemed to curve around and back tp the shore giving longish rides.
The only problem is that on the northern side of this is a deep gutter which goes right in close to the beach and the waves here are eating away at the sand dunes which at this point are probably 3 stories high. Nasty situation affecting only about 300 - 400 m of shoreline. Hope the gutter fills in soon.
As I found out at Noosa the other week, dolphins can stay under for a LONG time. I too had a similar experience where we saw some thrashing of somthing that was at least 2 metres long, about 50m out from the line up. Then a large fin popped up about 20 metres away, and then a few minutes later a dolphin popped up with a tuna in its mouth.

Still got the heart racing and all in the line up were on it. I've never been so happy to see a dolphin. I'm sure the cunce do it on purpose.... :D

Beanpole
BUTTONMEISTER
Posts: 41064
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Cheese Cave

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Had a classic totally crap surf at Bondi yesterday arvo. As only Bondi can do-rippy and rotten with a 2 foot wide sandbank out the back. The highlight was definitely seeing a guy go out with a new maroon fish with carefully waxed areas for each foot. Almost perfectly circular with a gap in between :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hope you don't try to put a foot forward to make the fish go properly mate because you'll slip off :lol: :lol: :lol:

pridmore
Owl status
Posts: 4527
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:38 pm
Location: the white tide pole
Contact:

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by pridmore » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 am

had lots of great waves last few days..... :D
Image
only small but an hour or 2 after this shot when the crowd left and it picked up, and tide ran out , it was super fun 3 ft ...timing is everything on the weekend at busy spots....
Image
this was thursday and was really fun 2-4ft peaks, super fun, 3 or 4 out, great beachie.... 8)
today looks shite but not too worried, had plenty of late, whoever said this place has no waves, was tripping, bring on winter .... 8)



www.moresurfboards.com

User avatar
matt...
charger
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: lurking around the sharktower carpark

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by matt... » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 am

looks heaps of fun! great little waves.

i wish it were that clean down here! the size is up, it came up friday afternoon, but it's mush.
SEers getting in everywhere. more size today, but more mush.
battled the bluebottles, purple people eaters & slop to have a surf yesterday.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

User avatar
marcus_h
charger
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 6:47 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by marcus_h » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:20 am

Just a bit of logging at the point. Was pretty small but it's my first surf for a week after a hip injury that's still pretty tender.

KMD
regular
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:29 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by KMD » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Surfed Newcastle main from about 6 till dark. Was fun 3-4ft with a peak to myself and one other about 100m down the beach from 20+ people.. suckers.

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 23423
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 am

Pretty full this morning at my local point but i went out anyway (at first light and alone :wink: ).
What followed was probably my most frustrating session in years. I did catch 4 decent waves but the rest - :mrgreen:
Lazy paddles - missed the wave. Paddled too hard - nose dived. Caught the wave, turned - and floated off the back. Absolute gimp session.
However, conditions were great, offshore, warm and uncrowded.
The water was a bit murky and the sun was soooo glary.
Wouldn't be dead for quids. 8)
Might have a nap now. Then wash the car and mow the lawn. And check it again at low tide. :wink: 8)
#sixfeetissixfeet!

alakaboo
Duke Status
Posts: 18851
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by alakaboo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:57 am

farken wind and rain.
nowhere.
looking better for later in the week

User avatar
bumfluff
Owl status
Posts: 3651
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:12 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by bumfluff » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:07 am

Missed the clean surf this morning as I had to drop my increasingly unroadworthy car at the mechanic for some TLC.. It was a half hour skatey ride home and of all the places I stack the c*nt it was in front of the high school gates. This obviously was met by a roar of laughter and pointing from the students.

Whatev...

:roll:


:lol:

User avatar
Trev
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 23423
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Any Point Break

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:47 am

woolly wrote:
TrevG wrote:Might have a nap now. Then wash the car and mow the lawn. And check it again at low tide.
You poor old bastard.

You mow the lawn, then check it again at low tide? :shock:

I know it's been humid and there's been a few showers around, but k'nell Trev, it sure must grow fast up there.

Maybe you should extend that nap a little....

... Poor overworked petal..... :D
:wink:
The surf, woolly. The surf.

Try to keep up. :wink:
#sixfeetissixfeet!

User avatar
No Pants Lance
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9221
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:26 am
Location: where wake collide

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by No Pants Lance » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:43 am

bumfluff wrote: It was a half hour skatey ride home and of all the places I stack the c*nt it was in front of the high school gates. This obviously was met by a roar of laughter and pointing from the students.

Whatev...

:roll:


:lol:
coming to a youbeut vid soon. :lol: :? :cry:

User avatar
bumfluff
Owl status
Posts: 3651
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:12 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by bumfluff » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:55 am

skipper wrote:
coming to a youbeut vid soon. :lol: :? :cry:
Sweet baby Jesus no. Don't even say that Skip.. If it turns up on youtube I'll be back tomorrow confescating phones and taking names..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JomxU1Ux0ZE

pridmore
Owl status
Posts: 4527
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:38 pm
Location: the white tide pole
Contact:

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by pridmore » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Image
feed the animals
Image
pick a bank
Image
choose appropriate craft
Image
surf the uncrowded 3ft peaks, what a great Monday morning...... 8)

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 14829
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Legion » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:58 pm

...
Last edited by Legion on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests