Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

gibber
Local

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by gibber » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:51 pm

After teary farewells from the family I'm on my way to Sydney to catch a flight to Singapore. Left yesterday afternoon a litle later than I wanted but at least I left the lawn cut and the dog washed. I took the cooly exit on the way down and had a scope of the roxy event and the strong southerly which looked as if it was whipping up a dstruggling swell. Rainbow had a few takers as did spot x and kirra but not enough to get me out in the gale force breeze so I turned south and after a confusing labyrinth of detours on sexton hill I was on the highway counting down the k's to sydney. Pizza at Ballina for dinner and a few tunes later I turned off the new bypass and pushed out the zzz's in a plush kingsize bed in a motel in Kew. On reflection, Coffs is winning the comp on best coastaltown night spot I've been through. OT would've been 10:30 when I cruised through and there were groups of people outside pubs, inside pubs or making there way from one venue to another. By comparison, Ballina was almost dead cept for the pensioner set at the r'e and a few punters drinking and listening to a lone troubador in the Slipway.
Night drives usually yield a long list of recent roadkill victims but so far the count is nil, sad in one way as this most likely means the level of fauna is diminishing along the coastal strip, but as a new age optimist, I prefer to say that the wildlife has been subjected to an education revolution too and have learnt some valuable traffic sense. I can only hope
This morning is grey, unseasonably cool and more suited to staying in bed so getting up and out the door is a struggle. Having a new board in the car is like traveling with children. This morning it's whining at me; are we there yet? J need to get wet? I'm (a) board, can't we do stop (and have a surf)? As with kids, this constant berating has had it's affect and I take a left turn and head for a spot on the coast to placate the new 'kid'
First spot check yields better than average looking waves, though once amongst them the better soon falls away to reveal plain old average but the new stick is having fun and after driving eight hours the surf has a remedial affect on my tired joints and muscles. Last wave was my most memorable. All morning sets would appear outside but on approach would either close out or fill up and gain weight. A few would real off in long lefts with wackable sections. My last one was one of these. Nice wedgey takeoff into a bottom turn out onto the shoulder and laid her over into a cutty, bounced off the foam and by this time the rest of the swell has swing into the onside bank and it's walling up and a few quick wacks I'm floating the foam and proning out and shore bound. 
Now I'm back in the car, a quiet car. The kids (boards) asleepand I'm turning over the k's heading south again. Getting a tad hungry...time for a feed

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

Looking forward to regular updates on your trip. Hope it's all fun for you.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:53 pm

Got wet this morning. But the wind, the bloody wind. :mrgreen:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Anyone up Noosa way today? How's it looken?

Of note, I'll be disregarding Fong's usual reports of 5 metre sharks, burly, and not one female on the entire beach let alone a topless one

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:12 pm

The swell is still hanging around so i was looking for something decent this morning. Got up at 4.15 and checked the wind beacons. Been blowing steadily all night from due east. :mrgreen:
Anyway, for some reason I decided to go down and have a look so I made myself a cup of coffee (Instant! - Nescafe 43 Beans!!) Tough shit. Suck it up, cupcakes. 8) Grabbed a banana and headed off to my point. On the way, heard the Sydney news - Pauline Hanson to run for the NSW Senate. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hahahahaha!
Some decent swell running but definitely onshore so I sat on a bench in the Moffat Park and watched the sun come up. Would you believe I watched the clouds get lighter??? Would you bel..........ah forget it.
So while I'm sitting there, suddenly the wind in my face started blowing into my back. It actually turned offshore. Four of us went out and the surface smoothed out pretty quickly. Good fun waves. Had about and hour and a half, by which time it was super glassy, if bumpy and still light offshore. Then, in the space of 10 minutes, a Noreaster blew up, strong and in literally 10 minutes the whole place went to shit.
Picture glassy, gentle offshore conditions, low tide and 2-3 foot of Iggy sized swell at 7.20am. By 7.31am it was like this.

Beanpole

Skipper

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:59 pm

TrevG wrote:The swell is still hanging around so i was looking for something decent this morning. Got up at 4.15 and checked the wind beacons. Been blowing steadily all night from due east. :mrgreen:
Anyway, for some reason I decided to go down and have a look so I made myself a cup of coffee (Instant! - Nescafe 43 Beans!!) Tough shit. Suck it up, cupcakes. 8) Grabbed a banana and headed off to my point. On the way, heard the Sydney news - Pauline Hanson to run for the NSW Senate. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hahahahaha!
Some decent swell running but definitely onshore so I sat on a bench in the Moffat Park and watched the sun come up. Would you believe I watched the clouds get lighter??? Would you bel..........ah forget it.
So while I'm sitting there, suddenly the wind in my face started blowing into my back. It actually turned offshore. Four of us went out and the surface smoothed out pretty quickly. Good fun waves. Had about and hour and a half, by which time it was super glassy, if bumpy and still light offshore. Then, in the space of 10 minutes, a Noreaster blew up, strong and in literally 10 minutes the whole place went to shit.
Picture glassy, gentle offshore conditions, low tide and 2-3 foot of Iggy sized swell at 7.20am. By 7.31am it was like this.

I dislike the sunshine coast at the moment :evil:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:21 pm

wow, I have been getting some waves, must just be lucky or something...scored 3-4ft Bluff today, super fun and about 6 or 7 out...great til a corked my leg and couldnt surf anymore....... :roll:

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:00 pm

Noosa this arvo, just the first little point off the beach. Was super clean and just peeling 2ft right handers. Had a ball..

Had a dolphin pop up about 5 metres away from me with a massive tuna in its mouth... :shock:

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Nice waves on the point early. Rode the dim sim, i'm in love

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:05 pm

went to a secret spot today and scored..... :D
only 3 ft but plenty of tubes on offer..... :)
me and 1 other guy out.....farkin stoked .... :D

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Noosa this morning at first point, failed to deliver. Too small and full...

Got a few nice ones but more frustrating than anything else. Maybe the tide was too high today.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:25 pm

bumfluff wrote:Maybe the tide was too high today.
if only there was some way you could find out the tide times and heights in advance...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:01 pm

It was low tide this morning between 4.30 and 5.00. :?
Beanpole

Skipper

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 pm

bumfluff wrote:Noosa this morning at first point, failed to deliver. Too small and full...

Got a few nice ones but more frustrating than anything else. Maybe the tide was too high today.
You always make me laugh

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 pm

alakaboo wrote:
bumfluff wrote:Maybe the tide was too high today.
if only there was some way you could find out the tide times and heights in advance...
I don't go up that way very often and don't know what works best there. Once I know, I will be sure to check it in advance...f*ck face. :o

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:52 pm

TrevG wrote:It was low tide this morning between 4.30 and 5.00. :?
Willy weather is my friend.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 pm

marcus_h wrote:
bumfluff wrote:Noosa this morning at first point, failed to deliver. Too small and full...

You always make me laugh
Glad to hear it... I'm one up on Tomtom.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:31 pm

easterly slop, first day I havent surfed in 3 weeks... surfing twice tomoz to make up for it....any shaper has to be in the water alot I reckon, I know I wouldnt get a board from a guy who doesnt surf anyMORE.... :roll: