Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Donweather » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 am

Well yet again another south swell hoax wanders by. Surfed some fun, albeit fecking cold 2ft weakish peaks on the high tide this morning. Nothing special, but still good to wet the gills. Fecking crowded though (for how average the waves were).....I now know why I avoid being a weekend warrior.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:46 pm

Gunnamatta before lunch. Decent bit of size when the very inconsistent sets came through but it was very fat and lumpy

Bloody cold out there.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:46 pm

JET01 wrote:I look forward to the day you are kicked off this site.

I'm the unluckiest bloke i know when it comes to dinging boards. GIMME A BREAK!!! 5 WAVES!!! COME ON!!!!
Hey Jet, sorry about your run of bad luck mate, I'm feeling your pain. Have you thought about making your own boards? Great fun, very addictive and heaps cheaper then pumping out big $$$ for a new one. Thats how it started for me, broke a brand newie and throught "feck this". It was costing me a bomb. It's also gave me the skills to do pretty good repairs. I've only made 22 boards, but I'm certainly popping out a good product now.

Just finished this one to take back to PNG with me. Total cost in materials about $230.00 (includes FCS plugs for a quad set up).

Chin up mate, it's better then the alternative!

M
Attachments
013.jpg
Love the Quads.
011 (5).jpg
Daughters hand prints on the front.
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm

If i wasn't living in a rental i'd be doing it for sure.

Looks so hard, but would be so rewarding when you start to get the hand of it.

Funny you mention it really... I've been interested in how the plug is going to be fixed even though it's not the first time i've done it, so i spent most of the arvo on youtube trying to find footage of an FCS plug repair... not much luck.

Anyway, Dave at Jackson is a ding magician... it'll probably look brand new again by the end of the week.

I'm just happy to have a garage full of boards and a healthy enough body to use them...

Life could be worse...

But in the pursuit of perfection i'm still looking for that witch doctor...
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:43 pm

surfed little cove :roll:

hey...weekend surfs are with my daughter.... :twisted:

yeah...sure it 's fun./bonding.....i tell myself this as i watch another mal pass me by :cry:

( and i secretly wish i'd left her behind and gone t-tree with a new 80 mates :lol: )

at least she hurt herself twice 8) ....paddled back out crying :lol:

the fact she paddles back out on her own :wink:

"ÿour crying...want go in'

"i just paddle out "

can't fault that logic :? smart arse 11 year old kids :x

i guess she deserves someone take her the beach

like little cove isn't the worst place in world with a 1 ft swell rolling down
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:07 am

Donweather wrote:Well yet again another south swell hoax wanders by. Surfed some fun, albeit fecking cold 2ft weakish peaks on the high tide this morning. Nothing special, but still good to wet the gills. Fecking crowded though (for how average the waves were).....I now know why I avoid being a weekend warrior.
There were some :shock:
I saw them :oops:
Frig I got no balls :evil:

So went back to playing on a board still in good nick, gotta bring a juunker :x fun fooling around a mini reef and rocks all over, the sand went west :|

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Sunday morning I was woken by a similar cacophanous racket as that of near shearer, only the source of which is known all to well to me as that being the mobile signal coming through the baby monitor…damn I forgot to switch it to flight mode.
So it was 3am and the boy was sound asleep so I decided to jump in the car and go for a cruise. By 6 I wad in the carpark of a lonely desolate point, the dash dispay told me it was 8deg outside and the local weather station confirmed this and also said that it had been blowing sw for most of the wee non wake hours. A quick stroll to a vantage point revealed some lines, not big but at least displaying that rawness and power that you expect from a south swell.
Suited up ran down the newly crafted track and negotiated the high tide rock off with little fuss then casually paddled towards the peak. Sets were inconsistent but the crowd was thin so that wasn't an issue, I scanned the faces of my fellow comrades and gave a nod to those I knew and waited my turn.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:58 pm

Anyone know how the Sunny Coast banks are fairing up at the moment......particularly at my favourite location. Feel free to PM me if you don't wish to broadcast to the world. Cheers.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:18 pm

JET01 wrote: Anyway, Dave at Jackson is a ding magician... it'll probably look brand new again by the end of the week.
Hey Jet,
When i was living in the shire I'd get my boards fixed by a guy called Grant. Lives not far from the Jackson shop (Caringbah/Taren Point). Very good ding guy who used to work for a lot of the local shapers (maybe even Jackson). Charges very fair prices and is a real character.

Don't have his details anymore but I'm sure if you ask around I'm sure you could find them.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Don, checked the beach you frequent on the SC on Friday, swell was tiny and tide was low but there didnt seem to be any sand or shape at all...we did find some fun sandbanks up North Shore near the gate, actually that whole stretch from the river up towards the Mud shop had some decent banks ...

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Well done Mark on your third place. I couldn't get a wave in the 25 knot onshore final and finished in 4th

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:26 pm

shame the waves were the worst ( in my opinion ) for the final, may have been bit bigger and look cleaner but the Fluff is so soft and at high tide , the single fins just dont go....much preferred the beachies even if the wind was into it a bit more...good on ya for makin the final, sorry we didnt catch up, I didnt hang around much as I had my kids and it was freeezing too.....

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:45 pm

pridmore wrote:Don, checked the beach you frequent on the SC on Friday, swell was tiny and tide was low but there didnt seem to be any sand or shape at all
Hmmmmm :cry: :cry:

Thanks for the update anyway Mark.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Couldn't get a park near home so double parked, grabbed the mal and had a load of fun till the sun went down on the 1 footers. Hadn't even vaguely thought of going for a surf till then. Thats what I love about surfing.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:59 am

Alrighty, just to make an entry. Last Thursday, maroubra middle of the day, south middle bank, but it was all a bit straight.

Friday, mid-morning, Bronte, still hitting pretty straight, paddling over to Tama and found a few with just me and 1 mate, and then attracted the gawkers from the other end of the beach to come and spoil our party.

Anyways, nice to get in the water again. Air temp was cool but water temp so nice still. Sunshine on my bonce doesn't hurt either.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:19 pm

Not today, but Monday. Swellnet's front page today. Public holiday, so there were a few, but peaks up and down the beach.
Glorious - and always nice to watch reggie in action.
the dreams that stuff was made of

smallhouse
Grommet

Post by smallhouse » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Got a few at teatree.
Some overhead sets coming up to high tide.
Rode the hynson fish.
Got so stoked i was running back around to the ledge jumpoff.
Work tomorrow.