Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

lessormore
barnacle

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by lessormore » Sun May 30, 2010 11:55 pm

South of Sydney.Really bad(and somewhat spectacular at times)late afternoon light but you get the picture-
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon May 31, 2010 6:52 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Big fcuken day of surfing today for anyone in the Sydney region.

Northy must have been off its face. I surfed various waves in my local area. Late arvo in the dead-glass-off by myself in heavy reef lefts was probly the highlight, but jeez there were a lot of good waves ridden today...a lot of boards snapped too I would guess.

I am not super popular at home after all that but what the hell. Re-set the Karma clock tomorrow. hot shower time.
:idea: Now Nicholas , if you self deprecate just a little bit each time you post in this thread , your "bigman , hilarious , solo and heavy" local and OS surf sessions would have more impact , be funny and would just be that little bit more believable pal.

Fcuking great waves 'gain today fellas. If I'm not mistaken kinda rare type swells these ones?? Interesting. Have a good one.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon May 31, 2010 7:36 am

^^
You a dad yet?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 31, 2010 8:33 am

dinosaur wrote:
If he wasn't too busy kidding himself that his life on the north coast was anything but the flimsiest of pretexts.
Mate, we're all labouring away like demented beavers damming up against the unrelenting and onrushing reality that is life: Which is nothing more than a series of disconnected moments cast perilously onto the knife edge of oblivion.
Against this we reproduce, make marks on paper and call it Art, design furniture , communicate with anonymous strangers on computers in a vain effort to cast forward into the future some kind of eternal lifeline that says: here I existed.

As the dawning of consciousness was accompanied by this existential terror Man invented all kinds of pyschological crutches, chief among them religion to enable him to move forwards without being struck down in mute paralysis.
Surfing is one more escape from the scythe of time.
Nothing more.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Mon May 31, 2010 8:35 am

A few photos of yesterday, somewhere.

http://kurungabaa.net

They are just point and shoot photos, though.
Last edited by Clif on Mon May 31, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon May 31, 2010 8:47 am

[quote="dinosaur"]
The scene of last night frivolities was a friends birthday party at a surry hills warehouse. Now this bloke is a civilised chap and a thoroughly genuinely nice bloke to boot. To top it off he runs a pretty good line in furniture he being a designer and craftsman of some truly beautiful pieces of usable art. Featured in some expensive magazines, resteraunts and homes around the world.
(quote Dino)

Sounds like a chap I dealt with several years ago Dino, launched an album in his gallery - Somowa - or somink like that - Nick? perchance. A lovely fellow indeed.
Maybe wrong. I'm prone to errors of judgment.
Though I can safely assume you weren't exposed to any Drum n Bass on the night.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon May 31, 2010 9:55 am

Jesus CHRIST.

The best day of waves in central NSW for a year and you're all going on about furniture and existentialism.

Tell us about your fcuken water time, all you Realsurfers out there. Did Buffy dare to paddle out at Northy with KK's ghost? Were you one of the sandwich factory of appalling rubbernecks getting in the way at North Av? Did anyone snap a friend's board then, with appropriate bluster, pretend it was already creased?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon May 31, 2010 10:37 am

Had a few nice night surfs at cowrie hole /flat rock.
ill be out there tonight if anyones keen
my mum thinks i shouldnt surf alone anymore now that im starting a family :roll:
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Mon May 31, 2010 10:51 am

Ballina north wall not too bad either

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 31, 2010 11:17 am

NC, don't even try and pretend you didn't enjoy those little pieces.

perhaps a bit flowery for your taste, and there were some somewhat laboured similes, but for me they were monday morning escapism that flowed beautifully with the warm afterglow of exertion and the general elevation of mood that comes with good waves and better health.

my surf experience over the weekend:
chances for water time have been limited recently due to sickness in our household. sleep has been the priority, and care for the little one who had a rough few days.
managed to sneak out for an hour at bondi sunday lunchtime. took the 5'11" epoxy rocket expecting 2-4ft closeouts and a crowd. was probably 3-5 and the crowd were mostly teabagging so there were plenty to go around.

first wave, didn't get into it early enough and tried to jump back out of the lip to no avail. little power for waves of this size and steepness so my confidence is heightened and i resolve to take off on anything i can get into.
second wave, expecting a closeout but got a bit of a run, jamming along on a highline before straightening out and being knocked flying by the shockwave.
loving the new board!
dive under the next wave before i get a chance to regather my board, which meant i got to see my mate going over fully embedded in the lip :lol:
feel my leggy ping and know that i'm swimming in. 2 surfs on this board and already snapped 2 leggies! but still loving the new board..
quick dash back to the car for the spare, then back out. tried to sneak across the bank rather than take the easier option and ride the rip... 3 sets on the head later and i retreat with my leash between my legs, back out in the rip. :)
got one other little one with a bit of run, then headed to the sth where the bigger ones were standing up.

time running out on the parking meter, and the biggest set of the session rolls in. it has all the makings of one of those single-wave sets that rear up on the wider banks but don't really deliver.

i'm too deep and under-gunned but feeling flighty so i manage to scratch into it... it bottoms out again as it hits the bank proper and i've got nothing but air under me. 1.5 cartwheels down the face, then about 3 more underwater, but i'm calm and euphoric despite my lack of condition. remember doing all sorts of twists and contortions i can't do on land to avoid getting wrapped up in my leash.

i surface to see sets stacked to the horizon, any any chance of final wave redemption well and truly gone.
i take my beating like a man, laughing all the while at my mate who tried to duck the second one and went over the falls twice, ending up 40m shoreward of me in a dizzy mess!

stood on the sand and chatted for a while, relieved to have blown out the cobwebs, and just generally stoked with waves and boards.

nothing special, highly enjoyable.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon May 31, 2010 11:45 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Mon May 31, 2010 11:48 am

Mid south coast weekend report:

Saturday - swell exhibiting an e/n/e direction. Bit weird. Glassy all day and 3 to 5ft. Noodle arms after 2 long sessions.

Sunday - same swell direction (still weird given the location of the low) but a solid 6ft with bigger sets. Checked all the usual spots. The local beaches were mostly out of control but a few outside peaks were reeling off. Too shifty however. Eventually decided on a spot that was handling the swell, suited up and got down to the waters edge just in time to see a 30 knot southerly smash the conditions to hell. 3ft side/onshore chop running up the faces. Turned tail and sulked off in the rain. By early afternoon the wind dropped again but the damage was done.

From Nowra north on the way home the conditions were still epic. No wind and no sign of the southerly. Werri point was bombing at what looked to be solid 8ft from the windscreen survey at the top of the hill, with the swell showing more e/s/e direction.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 31, 2010 3:23 pm

alakaboo wrote:NC, don't even try and pretend you didn't enjoy those little pieces.

perhaps a bit flowery for your taste, and there were some somewhat laboured similes,

Fcukking hell.....don't have any sympathy for Carrolls' sensitivities.
He well knows that May is the month for getting poetic.

If you laid his late Autumn diatribes out end to end it'd circle the fcuking globe a few times.

Jeez, NN looked good.
Anyone surf it?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 31, 2010 4:20 pm

sorry steve, here's a little gift to get you back on your merry way:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/05/31/2913551.htm

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon May 31, 2010 4:25 pm

Jeezus, I;ve seen evrything now.
Thanks for that.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Mon May 31, 2010 4:28 pm

Fair point Nick. Alakaboo got in with sentiments I echo.
But what's surfing if it ain't furniture and existentialism?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 31, 2010 4:29 pm

Tama had a lot of thrills and spills. Probably the most user friendly at that size for a while.
Fantastic pummelings on the rock shelf between Maccas and Tama. Hey great call trying to launch off
straight into the approaching sets.
One rissolled mal rider got washed right around to Tama over the rocks and one guy went down
into that cleft behind the main rocks that makes a fun rock pool when theres no surf. Then he got dragged across the rocks.

Saw a whale at bondi on sunday arvo. About 50 mtrs from shore :shock:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon May 31, 2010 5:47 pm

Sunday produced the best waves at my local for some time.

We had our boardriders comp on and I would say it was the best day of waves for the comp we have ever had. A couple of 10 point rides went down which we have never had before.

I tell you what though ...I feel like Ive been hit by a truck today. Damn sore from a day of non stop surfing. I surfed until I just could not paddle any more, and now Im paying the price.

Nothing like a day of epic waves.Even better in a comp singlet coz ya get to drop in on all the other punters out there and take all the good waves (just joking..sort of).