Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus_h
charger

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by marcus_h » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:50 pm

Yeah going to pull the pin, tide is wrong for an early morning run and swell is goone. Plus everyone on the street heard about it via these forums so it just aint worth it.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:12 pm

marcus_h wrote:Plus everyone on the street heard about it via these forums so it just aint worth it.
It has come to light that most of the 'CT were frantically trying to get flights back. Joel Parkinson even dropped out of the triple crown, and a potential first ASP surfing world title to catch a flight yesterday, only to miss the swell by a day.

When asked how he felt he responded "Gutted, really gutted actually. Marcus is usually spot on at covertly calling a swell. I thought this was a subtle enough hint on a little known website to be able to turn up by myself with no one else out. I'm devastated".

When asked if his next move was to head back to the North Shore, "Nah, I'm now heading to Vicco in search of the barrels that I've missed on the North Shore. I just couldn't take watching the boys surf perfect pipe with only 2 of 'em out. God knows Vicco's the only place in Oz that truly barrels like Pipe and it'll be good practice for next year." he said.

Good one Marcus :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Avoca 10am
I had free petrol :wink:
Never confuse ambition with ability

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:09 am

Saturday at Gunnamatta

Had one of those awesome sessions where no matter where I went I was always in the right place at the right time. Got heaps of waves amongst the crowd and got some classic down the line rides with plenty of lazy bottom to top turns thrown in to boot

Swell was about 2 foot tops but the banks at Gunnamatta were holding it beautifully, only the bomb set wave closed out but even then that wasn't all the time

Ended up staying out in the water for 2 and a half hours 8)
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:56 am

I know how you feel about Gunnamatta Hatchman,

I had a similar session there earlier on in the year that i hold in the top 3 surfs of my life.

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 32#p335486

I still have trouble sleeping when i think about how stoked i was after that one.

I miss vicco surf... but don't miss the cold water.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:38 pm

JET01 wrote:I know how you feel about Gunnamatta Hatchman,

I had a similar session there earlier on in the year that i hold in the top 3 surfs of my life.

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 32#p335486

I still have trouble sleeping when i think about how stoked i was after that one.

I miss vicco surf... but don't miss the cold water.
Aye it is an awesome place. Had so many good surfs there over the last 15 or so years. The power of the waves there is what I find that makes it so addictive, they just pack so much punch, even at just 3 - 4 foot.

But it can be a temperamental place at times too, scared the fcuk out of me on more than one occasion when it gets big. The rips can be either your best friends or absolute cnuts too :)
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:05 pm

^^^
Where I learned to surf for the first 6yrs.

Only beach mum knew how to drive to :roll:

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:33 am

Timing was a bit out this morning.
Paddled out the point at 5.30 but swell hadnt really arrived yet.
Unfortunately as the sets started to build to worthwhile size, the tide filled in to a 'no barrels' high tide and the crowd just kept on coming - and coming.
Got a couple this morn, but unfortunately probabaly at its best now and I am in the office!!

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:36 am

i got out at about 630 barstardos and was there till about 930ish (although i surfed the beachie after 2 waves). Dont think your missing to much judging by how it was when i left.
I might head down on low tide and see whats around.

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:28 pm

Yes got my 2 waves (3 if you count my over-the-falls effort :oops: ) for an hours worth of bobbing up and down at DY point this am. :? :D :|

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Odds are i saw both of you... My highlight: dropping in on that SUP :twisted:

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:05 pm

had a late, 7-8.30 at nobbys reef on the longboard.
a quick check of the surf report websites and one predicted the wind would go offshore at 8, they were pretty close if you count when it went oily smooth with no wind before the westerly later on.
sun set about 7.30 but you could still see heaps until about 7.50.there were some nice powerfull sets, about 15 minutes appart, sitting out there thinking is this the end of the swell?
between 813 and 829 it seemed to take ages for any wave at all to come through.
just went flat, then a set reared up and i got a backhander through to the shorie and did a little pig dog into a sucky bit and washed in banging on the board. lesson learnt, ditch the board next time your wiping out.
water was really nice, still have water up the nostrils, a salty non showered feel and a wet wetsuit in the boot of my car
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Hey Marcus, im an old newy lad. Hows the reef these days? does it still work as well in a big southerly swell, the left i mean, that runs back into the deep channel when its pumping. And how about the groper, is it worth battling the boogers for?
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:05 pm

No surf here today, neasters are killing everything. Even DI.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:19 am

marcus_h wrote:No surf here today, neasters are killing everything. Even DI.
I went down for the very early, got to the bottom of the hill and saw the surf, turned around and headed back to bed without looking, what was the point, thinking about the early agian today but that is only for the desperate, again whats the point, love the sc, love the sc :evil:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:27 am

Chillin wrote:Hey Marcus, im an old newy lad. Hows the reef these days? does it still work as well in a big southerly swell, the left i mean, that runs back into the deep channel when its pumping. And how about the groper, is it worth battling the boogers for?
not sure if its changed much, though some mates that are spearfishos reakon the rock bottom has been crushed into smaller rocks now.
still a rippy lefthander all the way in on big days, and an out the back take off into a fat bit then a sucky fast bit into a shorie at the end.
the groper hasnt changed at all, still a barrel here and there on bigger days if you dodge the ones from further out, that close out on that bit. the booger kids that i have seen there are usually just beginners the real good riders are always at spot or pipe.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:04 am

1' + slop.
But I stuck it for an hour and a half.
Just me and 3 mates.
Good fun.
Just shit waves.
Maybe tomorrow? :|

Or next year. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:13 am

iggy wrote:^^ man, if you're calling 1 foot, then it must have been REAAAAALLLLLY f**king tiny...
I used the Iggy standard. You guys can't open your minds to anything else. :P
Anyway - knee to waist high. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.