Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by channels » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:44 am

Toby wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:You ever head down to mandurah wedge, tobes?
Nah, never been Coops. Although I've been nearby. It looks impressive, but maybe a bit heavy on a shortboard. I reckon there'd be a bit of local knowledge to sussing it out too.
When they created the cut in Mandurah, they destroyed a couple of classic breaks with the best one being Dixieland. The dredge completely removed the reef there to create the inlet which then created the wedge setup there. Mates who still live that way tell me that other breaks up and down the coast don't break the same way now (Thickets, Melros, Av and Gearies) due to the disruption of sandflow up and down the coast

I've only stopped there a couple of times over the last few years, mainly on the way hammering it to Yallingup and Margs and it looks pretty difficult for a standup to ride. You often see a few standups having a go but mostly pulling back to avoid a trip over the falls.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:31 am

The magical south west over the last 3 days,geez its an absolutely beautiful spot, the offshores were howling the water was that deep, deep blue, it was clear crystal clear and cool, not cold, just nice in a steamer, the swell really jacked yesterday arvo from around 3ish onwards, each set bigger and more consistent, unfortunately the 30 knot easterly killed it 1st thing this morning before dying off and pulsing again. The sea breeze tried to crash the party but was allowed to stay provided it didn't blow its socks off, it complied.

Plenty of whales doing their southwards migration blowing up out to sea. Best sight of was 3 guys yesterday morning sitting on a small wave reef that works in sou easter and looking further out to the bommie flipper and his mates putting on a display that was hands down the best surfing of the session.

It is a truly beautiful part of the world and each time I head down I have to remind myself how lucky I am to be permitted the opportunity to experience its magic.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:22 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Not as bad as the photog who used to post photos of yalling'up but I'm still going to hold you responsible Odd'P for how I'm feeling.

p.s haven't been for a surf for over a week, it's just been to small to sacrifice the drive time, pollution etc to go down, it's raining, has been since sat and it looks like one of those setting for a bit ones - the bom says it's not but me bones tell me otherwise
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

dragon
Grommet

Post by dragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:48 pm

West end Rotto 3-5 ft left reef break tried Huies kp 69 out for the first time absolutely loved it, thanks Huie

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragon
Grommet

Post by dragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:03 pm

a little busy got heaps of waves though until some groms on daddy's boat rocked up with 8 of the little darlings got a couple more and went in.
Strickos was packed 30 plus in the water waves were smoking
Plenty of sealife with heaps of seals (slimy little roll mops that they are) in the line up popping up right next to you a little bit sketchy to say the least.
there was definitely some good waves out there so worth the risk

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragon
Grommet

Post by dragon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:28 pm

nah mate yesterday .
looked the goods this morning with glass off but had to head out to sunny welshpool yay

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:36 pm

munch wrote: it's raining, has been since sat and it looks like one of those setting for a bit ones - the bom says it's not but me bones tell me otherwise
I could of been wrong ...
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:59 pm

I surfed at Elouera today just as the onshore kicked in, it was just me and about 100,000,000,000 purple jelly fish....
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:53 pm

had a awesome surf today at tea tree, carpark was closed so hardly any crowds, truly scored
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:04 pm

diggerdickson wrote:had a awesome surf today at tea tree, carpark was closed so hardly any crowds, truly scored
Very nice... posts like this make me homesick :roll:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:16 pm

diggerdickson wrote:had a awesome surf today at tea tree, carpark was closed so hardly any crowds, truly scored
Pretty good result given that I remember your comments about NEVER going back there after your first visit.
It does tend to grow on you doesn't it.
Incidentally, I'm interested in what the wave was like with the onshore wind.It was pretty strong down here.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

entropy

Post by entropy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 pm

isle of juc, made me feel like skolling a kronenbourg it was so french.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:02 pm

TrevG wrote:
Pretty good result given that I remember your comments about NEVER going back there after your first visit.
It does tend to grow on you doesn't it.
Incidentally, I'm interested in what the wave was like with the onshore wind.It was pretty strong down here.
Not that great trev, little bit lumpy, not much wind though and once on the wave it smoothed out straight away, had a few that you could have called glassy a bit futher down the point :D . Got a few that run all the way to the middle of the beach from the point. It was awesome to really test out the new board and find out what it really performed like. It had enough size to push you along with a bit of grunt if you picked the right one. But the fact that the crowd was small, at one stage only 4 in the water, never a hassle really to get a wave. Gotta love fong with him knowing the car park would be closed, made for a great session and a lota fun.

Yes the place does grow on you, but nationals was crazy with crowds and so was the pot, but i imagine the locals would have thought that there was hardly anyone there, couldnt work out why tea tree so quiet with the crowds. I will definately go back but will carefully pick my times and not when its going off cause the scene is just not worth it. Everyone shouldnt bother going those times, to much hassle :wink: :lol:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Little North Coast point.

Twas only 2-3ft , C grade with a light onshore.
No-one out.
Would've been funner with a few others to be honest.

Fair dinkum, I always feel dubious about calling south swells from rapidly transiting SW fetches across the Lower Tasman .....but in Wednesdays forecast a south swell, filling in Friday morn was duly called.

No-one around.
No-one in the carpark.
Perfect sunny day with boardshort warm water.

God anyone who reckons internet forecasting had bought crowds needs their head read.
This was the kind of quick up and down pulse that previously wouldv'e only been picked by the very astutest weather watchers.
Yet with 2 full days warning not one other person on the favourable tidal stage of a pointbreak.

I rode Pridmore's 5'7" proto fatbat.
Felt like I was standing on a drunk squirrel riding a cake of soap round the bath tub.....IE totally out of control.

So much talk about changing fin setups.
Try riding a 9foot mal for a few sessions then jumping down a couple of feet.

That'll increase you pivotablility.

Eventually stopped trying to turn and nailed a few turns.
Jeez, it felt loose.

6waves ridden.
Back home.
total session time 35mins.
Went back at lunchtime for a quick check...still no-one out.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

foot-e

Post by foot-e » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:04 pm

^^^ i was keen as friday's sometimes provides a window of opportunity so I was watching the forecasts but not to be today. work. still here. :(

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Well Steve, based on another website's forecast, it looks as though your secret spot will be covered in bodies tomorrow, given a forecast of 4-6ft swell in their detailed forecast synopsis!!