Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:06 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:22 pm

Didn't, flat, 3 weeks, crabby :x
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:44 am

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragon
Grommet

Post by dragon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:34 pm

Toby wrote:Yeah, I struggle with that at 90kg. I need some power. And yet I surf closeout beachbreak slop most of the time.
Mate Rotto was smoking this morning

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:04 pm

fun session at a left point I surf occasionally, was just me and 1 other local fella I know, was inconsistent but when they came, it was 3 ft ( maybe a touch bigger on big sets ), bit full but really fun when you got into the sections....from the beach it looked perfect...it was great to paddle into the line-up with nobody else in the water and watching perfect 3 fters reel off...good for an enthusiastic goofy footer on a board I love, perfect sunny day, clean water, sheet glass...almost perfect....life is good... :D 8) :D

www.moresurfboards.com

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Toby wrote:
This afternoon still looks promising. I'll bet OddaP gets some good ones this morning. I've got obligations this evening now so I doubt I'll get out of the city but we'll see.
Yep, got some ok ones. Had a nice almost 3 hours :D

Was really a touch too big for it @3.5m and dipped briefly but has gone straight back.The bommie was breaking back sending rights across the reef.

Lot of crew as usual. A lot though pulling back so waves were about.

Saw 2 broken boards, 1 where I surfed and the other at the right hand reef up the road, which was a lot smaller but lining up a bit better I think (I didn't surf just went and had a look). Interestingly both were non PU construction, an S-Core and a 7S :mrgreen:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:16 am

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:58 am

Is it possible for a mate to drop in on you?

I've always considered a mate to be someone who would 'hold my place' on the wave until I get there...

Actually I have no mates. This may be why. :(

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Toby wrote: I did make it out of the city, to a place I'll call "Bert's (old) backyard". Fattest, most gutless waves in the west, but I still like it for the down the line speed you can get when they line up.
I haven't surfed there yet, I've heard it needs a swell like yesterday to start lining up?

I've been thinking about checking out those areas for a while but I never seem to get around to it- its close to 1 and 1/2 hours from mine.

I managed another 1 this morning, swell had dropped massively, only 2 foot but got a nice 1 that lined all the way down the line finishing on the bricks.

Perfect conditions though, ENE, but a brisk 5.5 degrees this morning.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:43 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:Is it possible for a mate to drop in on you?

I've always considered a mate to be someone who would 'hold my place' on the wave until I get there...

Actually I have no mates. This may be why. :(

^^ i have asked 3 different people this question and the answer is NO according to them.
my answer would be YES its a drop in and dont do it again unless i call you on, simple :D

this sitution may also change if you are sitting on a break with only 1 or 2 others, id be feeling more relaxed so less likely to react to drop in.

p.s. some the cheekier groms will do it, they know i wont do much.

Animal-chin, whats with no friends, do you smell :?:
signatures, finally got it covered.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:52 pm

Toby wrote:
OddaP wrote:
Toby wrote: I did make it out of the city, to a place I'll call "Bert's (old) backyard". Fattest, most gutless waves in the west, but I still like it for the down the line speed you can get when they line up.
I haven't surfed there yet, I've heard it needs a swell like yesterday to start lining up?

I've been thinking about checking out those areas for a while but I never seem to get around to it- its close to 1 and 1/2 hours from mine.
You drive faster than me. It took me an hour and 10min from Nedlands, basically straight on the freeway. Traffic was light. A bit longer on the way back but a longer stretch through the southern suburbs and less freeway. I was pushing it too, certainly never under the limit. No cameras (that I noticed), surprised me 'cause it's usually a heavily policed stretch.

Yesterday's swell was marginal there. I surfed the middle of the bay, but the point would handle smaller swell. There are other options nearby if it was smaller but not really worth a trip. If the swell was a bit bigger than yesterday it'd come into its own. I doubt it would ever max out (within reason). It could easily handle double yesterday's swell, not that that would ever happen. It'd just line up better and break a bit further out and a bit wider.

SUP guys have a thread going about it yesterday complete with crappy picture, lucky they're not talking about me :lol:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topi ... C_ID=54768

From their picture you could take off outside where that wave is and get waves well out of frame on the RHS, maybe double the length of that wave. Handles any tides, just breaks further in or out. Sharp limestone reef to walk across, only got one slice but it was a painful walk back in. A longer paddle avoids the reef, perfect for the SUP guys.

Very fat wave though. They talk about barrels in that thread, which I highly doubt. The SUP guy who dropped in on me said it was barrelling behind me when he looked back. Certain sections had crumbly sections that might barrel the top 1/3 of the wave but nothing peeling. Think a crappier, fatter, smaller, left hand version of Bells.

I enjoyed it when I was younger and I remember why. It's fun to get lots of speed and do big open face turns and it's very forgiving. The paddle is a killer though. If it lines up you can end up a long way down the line. No current or rip or anything, just a long way. Nice fun place, mal wave.
This is Perth... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDhmdbVk0l4

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:53 pm

Looking good for tomorrow early. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:03 am

its was a bit of a mess my way, very disjointed, hopefully on my way home from work i will spot something, anything your way, if the surf is up on thursday will make my way down I hope trev
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:48 am

Was still very messy at dawn, but some waves (short period stuff).
The change came through over the next half hour or so an dir cleaned up nicely.
Rain, that clear green clour of the water which make sit hard to see a wave coming because of the reflection from the cloud.
Beautiful way to start the day.
Digger, there is some promise of something on Thursday. I'll keep you posted.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

GFM
Grommet

Post by GFM » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:19 am

Surfed South Narra today. Every man and his dog was out there.. haven't seen it that packed in a while. Good waves though so it was enjoyable :)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:35 am

Where I didn't surf today was Bondi which was rippy, junky, small and with 30 plus on that dribbly little left shorebreak in the middle :roll: :roll:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?