Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by pridmore » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:15 pm

most of em had common sponsors so prob getting shots and footage for them in between comps... Dane said Trestles is next and he is keen to spend some time at home but he is enjoying the waves around here...Yes, they mentioned the waves across the river and said it was pretty good too.... Dane was surfing the best but he and Jordy were goin move for move but Dane was landing more and seemed smoother...He had a fish type board on the beach that I sussed out but he was riding a fairly standard shorty...He isnt a fan of the short things Kelly is riding, he tried them and dont suit him he reckons.... 8)

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:38 pm

Toby wrote:Wow, different to WA. Our new bag limits are 2 pinkies per person per day, 45cm min size increasing to 50cm next year. No fishing for them from 15/10 - 15/12 each year. License fees $180/year/adult from a boat, $30 less from shore.
35cm min size for squire/snaps here, bag limit 5 per person. Had a mate out with me, hence the 9 in the pic. No fishing license here, I think they do in NSW.

And Steve, yeah the placcy's are good. No bait in my boat. Plenty of boats came and went while we were there y'day. All fishing bait, all catching rubbish. Once you get the hang of placcy's, never go back to stinky bait.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:54 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:19 am

With it being a Friday and my good :? lady's birthday celebration tonight I decided to surf the Perth beachies so I could still start work at a decent time and not have to stay late this evening.

I surfed Scabs beachy. Tide was high, wind was east and the waves were 2 to 3 ft, bit rippy and backwashy, but there are deep gutters (great for a fish) and some semi ok banks (for Perth).

I remember now why I don't surf these waves :roll:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:37 am

had some 1-3ft beachbreak peaks at Pippies, the new Swinger is working really great in the conditions...water was so clear and cant get any glassier, just perfect winter conditions... 8)

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:32 am

Currently in Jakarta but have just spent the last 3 weeks surfing around Bali and Lombok :D
Bit of a wake-up call after being out of the water for 8 months but it only takes a few surfs to get it back again (well kind-of... without the paddling fitness as well lol).

Never got any 'massive' days but 'fun-sized' perfection isn't such a bad thing at places like Bingin, Seminyak, Inside Grupuk and Mawi 8)

*Mark, I ended up buying a board in Bali that was shaped like a 6.4 version of a Webber Afterburner. The board went fine but I was doing my best not to think too much about my Fatbat (still back home on the Sunny Coast). I didn't bring it because I'm on my way back to Shanghai...

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:53 am

how big did you get Mawi? and what was the road like. Last time i tried to get in there i only made down the first hill and got stuck for an hour and a half! would of been a heap easier if i wasn't in a shitty old Kijang with bald tyres and half an exhaust that sounded like a gun going off every time i took my foot off the accelerator...
Did you surf AG's
and was outsides working at grupuk?

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:02 am

gibber wrote:how big did you get Mawi? and what was the road like. Last time i tried to get in there i only made down the first hill and got stuck for an hour and a half! would of been a heap easier if i wasn't in a shitty old Kijang with bald tyres and half an exhaust that sounded like a gun going off every time i took my foot off the accelerator...
Did you surf AG's
Surfed Mawi the most bc it handles the wind and is a reliable swell magnet. Got it at different sizes and personalities: peaky and playful 2 ft, to solid 5-6ft with bigger (and scarier) sneaker sets. On the bigger days I got smashed quite a bit :lol: Had a lot of fun on the rights which was great as I'm crap on my backhand...

I rode a scooter which makes it easier imho. The road is still sketchy but there are still stretches where you can open up and get to 70 km/hr. One of the highlights of my trip was getting to Mawi. Such a beautiful ride with random local kids popping out to 'hi-5' you...

Apparently some Frenchies have bought a big block of land right next to the warung at Mawi. Once the International airport is complete (sometime next year) and development around Kuta really kicks in, I'm sure they'll fix up that road. But yeah, the place will definitely be changing in a big way soon...

Wanted to surf AG's but everyone told me to wait till the wet season (it was pretty windy) and never surfed Outsides. Again, everyone was telling me that it's a wet season wave.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:27 am

Surfed my fav SC beachie this morning. Looked to be a mixture of swells at first light with some leftover S/SE mid range period swell and some inconsistent building E/SE groundswell. She had a bit of morning sickness at first light but got better as the tide and morning progressed. Was a little undersized from what I was expecting as well and slightly under powered but still got some fun ones nonetheless.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:43 am

Sunday, maroubra middle south, middle of the day in the middle of the pack. 2-3 ft (maybe)

Found a good number of waves, lefts and rights working and walls holding up quite a bit which gave you a chance to have a bit of fun.

Could have gone out there and got nothing but somehow managed to snag my fair share plus a few.

Lotsa fun, gotta be happy with that. :D
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:32 am

rightbrainpositive wrote:
gibber wrote:how big did you get Mawi? and what was the road like. Last time i tried to get in there i only made down the first hill and got stuck for an hour and a half! would of been a heap easier if i wasn't in a shitty old Kijang with bald tyres and half an exhaust that sounded like a gun going off every time i took my foot off the accelerator...
Did you surf AG's
Surfed Mawi the most bc it handles the wind and is a reliable swell magnet. Got it at different sizes and personalities: peaky and playful 2 ft, to solid 5-6ft with bigger (and scarier) sneaker sets. On the bigger days I got smashed quite a bit :lol: Had a lot of fun on the rights which was great as I'm crap on my backhand...

I rode a scooter which makes it easier imho. The road is still sketchy but there are still stretches where you can open up and get to 70 km/hr. One of the highlights of my trip was getting to Mawi. Such a beautiful ride with random local kids popping out to 'hi-5' you...

Apparently some Frenchies have bought a big block of land right next to the warung at Mawi. Once the International airport is complete (sometime next year) and development around Kuta really kicks in, I'm sure they'll fix up that road. But yeah, the place will definitely be changing in a big way soon...

Wanted to surf AG's but everyone told me to wait till the wet season (it was pretty windy) and never surfed Outsides. Again, everyone was telling me that it's a wet season wave.
yeah they are more suited to the wet.
That airport must've come along in leaps and bounds as it was just a pile of dirt and a small building on the edge of the road to Kuta when i was last there (07)
I have heard that a few parcels of land has been bought up along that stretch of coast in the last couple of years, will be a vastly different place when the airport opens and the euro's will have somewhere other than Sengigi to go to on there holiday in the tropics...will no doubt fuck it up..oh well thats progress as Midnight oil said

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:36 am

Little sliders on the local point up here...nice way to get back into things.

Bit crowded yesterday morning with a couple old pricks who think they deserve every waves (soon learn when im doing my best burn and fade impression) but still got a few that linked up well.

Afternoon session was great only four out even though it was slightly cross shore.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 am

Donweather wrote:Surfed my fav SC beachie this morning. Looked to be a mixture of swells at first light with some leftover S/SE mid range period swell and some inconsistent building E/SE groundswell. She had a bit of morning sickness at first light but got better as the tide and morning progressed. Was a little undersized from what I was expecting as well and slightly under powered but still got some fun ones nonetheless.
Pretty similar to my local point, Don. It did get better. By 7 am most of the early starters had gone in, except for four of us (2 mals and 2 shorties) who had it to ourselves for another hour and a half. It got very clean and glassy with the rides just getting longer and longer.
Great morning.
Great fun.
My thigh muscles are even aching. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:33 pm

Trev - the 3 way comp didnt get in your way yesterday morning?

I'll be surfing a bit more down your way from next month - moving jobs down to Clowntown so will be around after work most days if it's working.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:34 pm

TrevG wrote:Pretty similar to my local point, Don. It did get better. By 7 am most of the early starters had gone in, except for four of us (2 mals and 2 shorties) who had it to ourselves for another hour and a half. It got very clean and glassy with the rides just getting longer and longer.
Yeah I thought it must have been Tradie Monday or something as I was surprised at how many were in the water. They all dissappeared around 7/7:30 though, just as Huey started to clean it up more for me and my mate!!!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:34 pm

marcus_h wrote:Trev - the 3 way comp didnt get in your way yesterday morning?

I'll be surfing a bit more down your way from next month - moving jobs down to Clowntown so will be around after work most days if it's working.
Nah! I was in Brissie for the weekend.
Some of my mates were in the comp. There were others in the water but the vibe was all good, apparently.
Look forward to catching up with you sometime.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:27 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.