Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Grooter » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:45 am

Gunnamatta for the early. Swell had lots of west in it so conditions were pretty lumpy combine with a decent 20knot offshore wind

Despite that it was around 4 foot with the occasional 5 footer coming in, grand total of about 4 of us out there at any one point in time so I got plenty at my favorite left hand bank at the moment.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:11 pm

iggy wrote:just north of south end clubhouse maroubra..
2 hour arvo session before dusk..
waist high and chest high on the sets..
consistent run of waves coming through..
mostly rights but the odd left in the mix..
average run was about 30 metres plus..
took out a 7'6 mini-mal and must have got close to 40 waves on it the whole time i was out there..the wave was a peaky bowl that would throw a down the line wall you could milk for all it was worth..
quite a bit of backwash coming off the gutter and creating step sections and double ups along the run..
was mostly a speed run that would allow you to extend your line off the top here and there, and then dredge out at the end as it approached the shore line and give you time to get in a decent bottom then top turn or a cutback off the end section and then kick off the back of it before the whole wave turned into lip and dumped onto about 6 inches of water over dry sand..
run straight over the top of a booger that dropped in because he thought i wasn't gonna make this one section :)
no harm done to either party :wink: but the look on his face was pretty special.. :shock:

Dont you just love it when you see someone on a "7'6 mini mal" just think they are killing it with there 40+ wave count ? Fcuk me !!! I dont know who to feel sorry for, iggy or the boogy board rider. Sad.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:34 am

iggy wrote:^^ there was no 'killing it' as there was not much to kill..
just average conditions that were maximised by a sensible approach..
anything under a 7'6 was unequipped..
the 2 out there on shortboards got nothing (couldn't even paddle into them)
the other couple out there on fishes were flat out making it through the sections..
i've got no issues riding a mini-mal..
or 6 foot twin fins, or 9 foot longboards..
a good time was had, and there was nothing 'sad' about it..
flapping about and failing on a 6'2 out there would have been 'sad'..
but by all means, help yourself if you wanna limit outcomes by self-conscious paranoid hang-ups on what's acceptable and what isn't :wink:
(what's wrong, are you scared that someone on the WQS is gonna walk past and point their fingers at you and guffaw if you don't measure up?)
you must be pretty 'core' man :roll:
well said iggs 8)
and let's not forget, --- "bodi don't surf". :oops:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:02 pm

40 waves in two hours, that's greedy iggy. next time you go surfing you gotta give back. give a booger a wave, go on even if you're in position and he's not.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Hey LuckyAl, whats it like living in Thirroul?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:21 pm

it's great steve, we're always giving one another waves down here.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:36 pm

actually for me living in thirroul is like making my way taking careful steps around and around the edge of a deep dark pit, with perfect light and warmth on one side and death and destruction on the other (down in the pit). for example, i walk down redman avenue and pass a house and think and suddenly i'm reeling, teetering on the edge - i knew the boy who lived in that house well and we clambered over an old steam engine and climbed a tree and studied snails out the back while his big sister played 'you show me yours and i'll show you mine' with my big brother in the bedroom, meanwhile their old man was a violent alcoholic and their mum a waitress who worked and worked and worked and smoked and smoked and smoked and never looked happy, and one day they all went away just like that - we never saw or heard of them again. in thirroul there are a hundred houses i can look at like that.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:41 pm

Hilarious, look at Ringlicker sucking up to make some new friends. I guess he needs em. Any tool, including Ringfcuker can ride a mini mal or mal and just dominate the line up. But, it should be about sharing with others and taking your turn, not just picking off anything that rolls in. If you caught your 40+ over that time frame then you were no doubt being greedy and hogging it and that is sad. Ringy, if you like I will give you forwarning if I am going to have a crack at someone so you can think up some new shi.t or get your "new" friends to help you ?? Your repetative comebacks were never funny brother, its shamefull to see the same old material, month in month out.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Very good riders seem to always enjoy themselves for the most part
Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Hey Steve, reports coming in from the top end of the Goldy this morning are showing some very inconsistent 3-4ft+ SE swell on offer, which surprises the hell out of me, that's for sure, even more so given that you're Ballina report this morning was only indicating 2ft/2ft+ at SFB. Just wondering if your report happened to miss the inconsistent bombs and have you seen anything bigger in your travels this morning? I'm rather perplexed as to why the Goldy would be so much bigger than elsewhere, particularly with the buoys indicating a SE swell direction?

Oh and secondly, where the feck did this swell come from sneaking under the radar?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Donweather wrote:Hey Steve, reports coming in from the top end of the Goldy this morning are showing some very inconsistent 3-4ft+ SE swell on offer, which surprises the hell out of me, that's for sure, even more so given that you're Ballina report this morning was only indicating 2ft/2ft+ at SFB. Just wondering if your report happened to miss the inconsistent bombs and have you seen anything bigger in your travels this morning? I'm rather perplexed as to why the Goldy would be so much bigger than elsewhere, particularly with the buoys indicating a SE swell direction?

Oh and secondly, where the feck did this swell come from sneaking under the radar?
Must've been a small window Don.....there was no 3-4ft surf at Ballina this morning.
I was on the Goldy between 10 and 1 filming bulldozers on the beach at Kirra and while there were lines of swell it was tiny along the Kirra/Superbank stretch.
Came home and checked my local swell magnet : 2ft of very ocassional SSE swell.
Small kink in the windfield as the low passed under NZ could produce these sneaky little pulses.
Would have to see photos to believe 3-4ft though.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:14 pm

steve shearer wrote:Would have to see photos to believe 3-4ft though.
I would never have believed it without seeing these photos either Steve. Also got some reasonably reliable reports in from TOS this morning that she was a square 4ft.
21jul09bb1.jpg
21jul09bb2.jpg
21jul09bb4.jpg

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:55 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:51 pm

Toby wrote:There's no frame of reference for me in the first two photos but I'd be calling the last one 2' :|. Well maybe a strong 2', a weak 3', can't really tell with the guy not standing up.
I agree there's no frame of reference in Pics 1 and 2, but they are clearly larger than the wave in pic #3....no question about that. I'd be calling pic#3 about 2ft where the guy is taking off, but closer to 3ft where it's barrelling. And the guy who provides these pics and reports is rather pretty reliable when it comes to calling a spade a spade (wave heights). Here's his words from the report from yesterday:

"1-4ft+. What the. It looks flat, until the beasts roll in. Sets are an easy 4ft outside and inside. Shame they are closing out heaps, breaking way straight, swell direction feels SE. 3 dudes at Nazz trying their best to find the ones holding up in the mid-shorey. One dude at The Spit but he came in. It's far from perfect but there's a few waves and no one out. Wind is WNW 3kn, N/NW forecast."

For the outer bank to stand up like it is in Pic #1, she'd have to be around 4ft I reckon, based on what I've seen wave heights on the outer bank to do. And as I also said, I also received independent and reasonably reliable reports of 4ft set waves at the top end of the coast, including TOS....and they weren't 4ft peaks draining into 2ft shoulders either!!!

Anyway, that event's been and gone.....just thought it strange that the SFB of the Goldy were producing solid but very inconsistent 3-4ft waves from the SE (and totally unexpected) and yet elsewhere (including Nth NSW) was no bigger than 2ft/2ft+??

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:02 pm

I agree with your call Don.....soon as I saw that wave on the outer bank in Pic 1 you could estimate South Straddie to be 4ft easy.
It wouldn't be the first time one of these mysto pulses with a very narrow aim hit ...and again look at that little tweak of the isobars as it passes under NZ....we're talking a 4-6hour window of favorable orientation.
Sometimes data is just too coarse to detect the kind of real time changes needed for accurate forecasting.
Wish I was there.....

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:19 pm

steve shearer wrote:It wouldn't be the first time one of these mysto pulses with a very narrow aim hit ...and again look at that little tweak of the isobars as it passes under NZ....we're talking a 4-6hour window of favorable orientation.
Sometimes data is just too coarse to detect the kind of real time changes needed for accurate forecasting.
Wish I was there.....
Just seems bizarre that if the fetch was beneath NZ how radial spreading didn't more evenly distribute the wave heights across the Nth NSW/SE Qld coastline.....particularly given the SE swell direction as well, which as we know favours Nth NSW even more so!!!

Anyway, as you said, sometimes data/models etc are too coarse to detect these real time actuals and this is one to store in the memory banks for future real person reference!!!

Please tell me you're gonna have some good news for us SE Qld surfers today? Latest 18z GFS chart looks to be coming more in line with EC, so I'm detecting some bad news in your forecast later today for us?? :cry: :cry:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:23 pm

How much explosives do ya reckon it would take to blow up (and sink) the north island of NZ? It truly is located in a cnut of a place around this time of year for us SE Qlders!!!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Donweather wrote:How much explosives do ya reckon it would take to blow up (and sink) the north island of NZ? It truly is located in a cnut of a place around this time of year for us SE Qlders!!!
Im sure no one would really miss if anyway, there only bloody new zealanders. I say blow the bloody thing up
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".