Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Grooter » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:14 pm

Gunnamatta was great this morning, surf was clean, 3 -4 foot and did I get a wave?

No.

Not.Fcuking.One. :evil:

I seemed to always be paddling to the wrong spot, the ones I went for I either missed or someone else got there first, everytime I went in a little bit closer to shore to get a smaller one a 5-6 foot bomb would come through and clean me up. Fcuking annoying,.

But then it took a weird turn....

I heard some kid screaming for help about an hour of this sh.it. Looked around, couldn't see anything. Asked another guy, he heard the kid too and then we heard the kid screaming again for help. I thought fcuk this I'm not getting waves so I paddled into shore just in time to see a kid stagger out of the surf and collapse on the sand. Some fisherman ran over along with some other surfers and me to see a kid about 15 or 16 lying on the sand, busted nose and quivering in pain from a very sore neck and back.

Poor cnut had been catching waves on a shallow sand bar and had gotten dumped head first into it. Don't reckon he's old enough yet to appreciate Gunna on a day over 3 foot but he will be now. It can get very heavy and dumpy on the shallow banks and it was pretty fat this morning too so there was a lot of power in the waves.

The tide was coming in still so we carefully lifted him onto a long board, moved him up the beach, someone went to phone the paramedics, someone else to phone his dad.

Paramedics got there, we moved him onto a stretcher and they gave him morphine, neck brace etc.... and then called the chopper to air lift him to the carpark as we were a good 500 metres down the beach from the Gunnamatta car-park and it was too risky to carry him as he had a spinal injury.

They unloaded him from the chopper, into the ambo and off he went to the Royal Childrens. They had to cut his wetty off too, a brand new e-bomb no less.

And that was my morning.
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:05 pm

gee, sounds heavy, hope the kid is ok...let us know if you find out how he goes Hatch ..... Think we all have had a few close calls in the water, I know I have gone close to doin serious damage to my back once or twice....

Haz
charger

Post by Haz » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:24 pm

When the hell was that hatch!? i was there from 12-5pm and i didn't see/hear anything?

Yeah gunna was reeeeally good today, hell bazza's for 2 seconds then a massive closeout :twisted: actually made it out of one at least!

ventured down to 1st carpark later... fuuuck the bank there was good, sucky rides for 100 metres

Grooter
Snowy McAllister

Post by Grooter » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:08 pm

^^^^

Early mate around 8.30am, I got there around 7.15 myself, chopper arrived around 9.30 I think..

Gunna was looking real good when I was leaving too, think I'll be heading a fair way down to those banks again next time.
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:17 pm

was a bit of a mess my way today and didnt have enough time to travel so skipped it :(
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Haz
charger

Post by Haz » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Hatchman wrote:^^^^

Early mate around 8.30am, I got there around 7.15 myself, chopper arrived around 9.30 I think..

Gunna was looking real good when I was leaving too, think I'll be heading a fair way down to those banks again next time.
Fair enough, haha was not in a good state to get up that early this morning!

You goin tomorrow? looks like it'll be good again

Grooter
Snowy McAllister

Post by Grooter » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:38 am

^^^

I never used to be either but having a kid sure changed that!

Surf will have to wait till the weekend, unless I pull a sickie but I've run out of them already :D

Grooter
Snowy McAllister

Post by Grooter » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:39 am

pridmore wrote:gee, sounds heavy, hope the kid is ok...let us know if you find out how he goes Hatch ..... Think we all have had a few close calls in the water, I know I have gone close to doin serious damage to my back once or twice....
I reckon he will be, despite the busted nose he could move all his fingers and toes.

Reckon he may put a disc out and definitely a decent bit of whiplash as well.

Kid is lucky to be alive though, if he had of gotten knocked out he could well have drowned as he and his mate were not surfing near any of the groups and his mate was a pretty scrawny kid as well.

Aah well we've all been there I guess

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:56 pm

where did u surf trev, river mouth and just south of groyne were going nicely late monrning too

Trev
Duke Status

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:06 pm

lambert wrote:Image

where did u surf trev, river mouth and just south of groyne were going nicely late monrning too
What's the rivermouth?
Do you mean the entrance to the Passage?
I curse their head & all the hairs of their head; I curse their face, their brain, their mouth, their nose, their tongue, their teeth, their forehead, their shoulders, their breast, their heart, their stomach, their back, their womb, their arms, their legs, their hands, their feet & all their body, from the top of their head to the soles of their feet, before and behind, within and without

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:21 pm

iggy wrote:took one of RichQ's (PureSurfboards) boards out...
pintail shorty...
a proper narrowed in pintail but scaled down at about 6'4 x 18 5/8 x 2 3/8 i think...
deck's quite rolled and the rails are low/pinched...
moderate rocker, slight single concave running down the board then finishes in a vee at the back fin................
RichQ makes a nice board doesn't he. Spent an afternoon in his workshop with Ric a month or so ago. Sounds about right for me Iggs!

Been thinking, been thinking ............................
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:27 pm

TrevG wrote:

What's the rivermouth?
I think he's talking about somewhere up Fong and Tiger's way...?!?!
Or could it be marcus_h's neck of the woods??

I'll be on the coast in about a week, hopefully there's some waves about 8)

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:11 pm

yeah pumicstone entrace, grinding right through the middle of it.. here's one from just south of gryone- shot from that wooden platformy thing.. definitely some sick waves along the whole strip, i heard wurtulla was good but heaps of water moving inside as it does. anyone else surf on the sc?

smallhouse
Grommet

Post by smallhouse » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:55 pm

inside titree @ noosa, overhead, glassy uncrowded and the odd hollow section the inside through to enos. did a 5hr session. :D

Trev
Duke Status

Post by Trev » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:32 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:
TrevG wrote:

What's the rivermouth?
I think he's talking about somewhere up Fong and Tiger's way...?!?!
Or could it be marcus_h's neck of the woods??

I'll be on the coast in about a week, hopefully there's some waves about 8)
Nah. He meant the Pumicestone Passage / Happy Valley area south of Kings.
How long are you back for RBP. Be good to catch up.
I curse their head & all the hairs of their head; I curse their face, their brain, their mouth, their nose, their tongue, their teeth, their forehead, their shoulders, their breast, their heart, their stomach, their back, their womb, their arms, their legs, their hands, their feet & all their body, from the top of their head to the soles of their feet, before and behind, within and without

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:19 pm

smallhouse wrote:inside titree @ noosa, overhead, glassy uncrowded and the odd hollow section the inside through to enos. did a 5hr session. :D
I just discovered that I'll be up that way round the end of november (once it get's nice and flat).

Looking forward to the possibility of seeing fong in Koala Bar
[email protected] wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

Innerview
regular

Post by Innerview » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Report for Central Coast this morning said 2 - 3 feet. When I arrived at A.P. head high to double over with offshore roostertails . Anyway a few monster sets rolled through with me on them. Had about 2 hrs of 10 second NE then a major swell change and the pump went with it.
Attachments
9D0C0943RS.jpg

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:18 pm

lambert wrote:yeah pumicstone entrace, grinding right through the middle of it.. here's one from just south of gryone- shot from that wooden platformy thing.. definitely some sick waves along the whole strip, i heard wurtulla was good but heaps of water moving inside as it does. anyone else surf on the sc?

Nice one Lamby. The bank at the bar has been pretty long and straight last couple of times I've checked it. Hasn't looked like this in a while:

Image.

I surfed Sunshine and it was sick.