Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:12 pm

Lenny the fcukin OX.
6-8 with solid 10 foot sets.
Rode a nine o Brewer and needed every inch of it.
There were two swell trains in the water: a long range E swell and a very large ESE swell from the trough/low off the coast.
When the two trains merged the peak was a solid 10 foot wedge and as thick as Sunset beach.
20 knot offshore blowing foot high ribs up the face.
Me bruvva got an inside one then got caught by a mutant set that just fcuking detonated and completely destroyed his 8"0" McCoy gun.
3guys out at first then as the swell started to back-off more came out.
It was fun watching guys scratching on 6'8"s or shorties.
Saw Rasta moping in Mavis health food shop later on with a gaggle of sheepish, trendy mother-fcukers who by the look of their facial hair, garb and general demeanour would have to be alaia riding filmakers from California.
Get a go out I inquired ?
they shook their heads
This season is getting a strange echo about it : 1999 the last La Nina winter.
Fcuking Epic.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:39 pm

diggerdickson wrote:just got back from a surf at tea trees with trev, bit of a circus again but caught a few waves amongst the crowd :shock: Now I know why people like it so much, a long wave with a good open face to play on. Caught one from out the back all the way through, thanks trev :lol: :lol:

Question is, would I surf Noosa when my local is breaking, answer no, even though the waves would not be as good would still get more waves at home and enjoy myself more. I will surf Noosa again as would love to try granites next time. Maybe next week, but when I got back home I saw that point perry was breaking, spewing.
as a new local to that area Digger, you might not want to mention a certain point that is a bit of a semi secret gem, can get very good, seen it like Angas a few times.... I dont bother with Noosa much either , just tooo many people and alot of idiots and I never leave there feeling fulfilled and or realxed after a surf....there is a very puncht beachy that can handle some swell in same conditions further south, can be tourist central but if you get it when the banks and tides are right it is all time, definitely one of my fave waves and I know it was good today, mates have been getting waves there for a few weeks now....Swell is huge here, hard to tell how big coz it so messy, have to 8-10ft lumps mushing thru at the point, could be fun in a few days when things clean up....shame I got lots of work to do.... 8)

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:48 pm

wandered all over the landscape looking, but nothing tempting. Just too messy and all over the place.

(Have made a mod to posting system to see if I can get post notifications working. Changed a value from 50 to 0 in admin area... it's a long shot... now, if only someone will post to this thread...)

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:53 pm

and say what?
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:53 pm

Boo

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:13 pm

wishing the rain would let up enough to see the beach... okay... no notifications received from updates since my last post (sorry I have to test this way, but I need a real live thread).

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:22 pm

steve shearer wrote:: 1999 the last La Nina winter.
Rather than call you a goose SS, as I think you know more about the weather than I, would you mind explaining that. We have been in la nina patterns for a few years now. How was last winter not a la nina, or the one before that? we were certainly in la ninas through the summer preceding those winters.

Please explain.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:48 pm

oldman wrote:
Rather than call you a goose SS, as I think you know more about the weather than I, would you mind explaining that. We have been in la nina patterns for a few years now. How was last winter not a la nina, or the one before that? we were certainly in la ninas through the summer preceding those winters.

Please explain.
He's pretty much spot on there Olds. There have only been a dozen or so true La Nina events in the last 100 years. La Nina isn't the state of play simply when we aren't in an El Nino or when we have a wet winter. Its a specific event in itself generally derived from cooling of the Pacific. Last major La Nina event was in 1998/99 and before that 1988.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:17 pm

sigh,
Delilah has obviously done some long term mega gymnastics training or maybe for athletics field events (javelin etc). That body isn't a bondi/ tamawankerama gym babe as it takes some REAL work to look that good.

Be very afraid!

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:25 pm

I had a short window of opportunity early, got up and drove straight to Noosa. Silly me shoulda checked the wind obs, and bouys before I left, cos the winds gone W and the swell more SE. No time for goose chasing, so I just hit T Tree. Fun, but devil wind side chop take the gloss off it. Knowing that Trev's local and a whole bunch of other spots are going nutso, doesn't help my frame of mind, and I'm a sour prick for the rest of the day :? .

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:35 pm

Cookie wrote:He's pretty much spot on there Olds. There have only been a dozen or so true La Nina events in the last 100 years. La Nina isn't the state of play simply when we aren't in an El Nino or when we have a wet winter. Its a specific event in itself generally derived from cooling of the Pacific. Last major La Nina event was in 1998/99 and before that 1988.
More information required. The last few years may not have ventured into a deep la nina event, if that is what you would call it, and if I recall correctly they have a tendency to be more summer events, backing off as the winter approaches usually (working from memory here, very fallible) but it was enough for ABC weathermen to call it a la nina in previous two summers I thought, although less so this past summer. Previous summer (07/08) was the coolest summer in Sydney for decades, and reasonably wet. Is the significant point la nina and winter, because if an ABC weatherman is calling us dipping into la nina I'm not inclined to question that.

I thought the current readings weren't particularly heavily indicating la nina anyway. Are they?

I'm fair dinkum asking, not jiving!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 pm

as a new local to that area Digger, you might not want to mention a xxxxxxxxxx that is a bit of a semi secret gem, can get very good, seen it like Angas a few times.... I dont bother with Noosa much either , just tooo many people and alot of idiots and I never leave there feeling fulfilled and or realxed after a surf....there is a very puncht beachy that can handle some swell in same conditions further south, can be tourist central but if you get it when the banks and tides are right it is all time, definitely one of my fave waves and I know it was good today, mates have been getting waves there for a few weeks now....Swell is huge here, hard to tell how big coz it so messy, have to 8-10ft lumps mushing thru at the point, could be fun in a few days when things clean up....shame I got lots of work to do.... 8)[/quote]

:oops: :oops: :oops: i thought it was common knowledge, sorry guys, will delete that post straight away if I can, hopefully...... :oops:

I have a feeling I know which beach you are talking about mate, but I dont really need to travel far to find a good wave
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:44 am

but when the swell is really up you have nowhere that handles it and its north to the circus or a few options south, depending on how big and wind direction but its usually from th SE when its a serious swell.... 8)

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:43 am

oldman wrote:
Rather than call you a goose SS,
Go right ahead Olds, but I think your being pretty small spirited quibbling about a technicality when we're enjoying what might turn out to be an historic run of good to awe-inspiring surf.
If you want me to delve into a discussion about global weather patterns, nino indicators etc etc I'd be quite happy to bore the tits offya.

I'm talking about an impression, an emotion , a feeling that this season is shaping up to be one with a lot of big swells.
Could be completely wrong but for the last several years of relatively small surf post July 2001 I'd been wondering whether I'd get another crack at a sustained run of big (by aussie standards) surf at my home break.
Wondering whether it would come when I was too old or unavailable to ride it.
Go ahead and take the piss but I find something so enlivening and intoxicating about these big swells.....

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:17 am

steve shearer wrote:Go ahead and take the piss....
Nah not taking the piss SS. You've spouted some weather stuff on other forums that has had the effect of :shock: wondering what the hell you were talking about, which either means you know your business or have a quality line of BS going.

1998 and 1988 may just be the two winters going back where we had virtually 6 months of non-stop rain, hardly a sunny day from March through to September. I think those winters also coincided with the last time the warragamba dam floodgates were opened (being past full). I remember thinking last time that I should go and see it as it might not happen again in my lifetime. I checked the Dam website and couldn't find something as interesting as a record of when the floodgates have been opened. Clowns.

Wasn't it the 2007 winter that included the longest spell of intense lows in the tasman running from July through to early mid-august for many a year.

While I'm at ya Steve, does Lennox work better on an east swell or the big south swells. I'd imagine that the east swells may give you longer walls but more shutdowns, whereas the south swells would provide cleaner swells and possibly longer rides. What's your take on it?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:36 am

oldman wrote:
Wasn't it the 2007 winter that included the longest spell of intense lows in the tasman running from July through to early mid-august for many a year.

While I'm at ya Steve, does Lennox work better on an east swell or the big south swells. I'd imagine that the east swells may give you longer walls but more shutdowns, whereas the south swells would provide cleaner swells and possibly longer rides. What's your take on it?
You're right 2007 produced 7 ECL's and a really incredible run of winter surf. The latitude at which they formed was just a bit too far south for us to get really big surf......we need the trough/low to really form to the north of us so the maximum energy of the fetch is aimed at us , then as the low drifts south the wind swings offshore from the outflow.
99 was the last autumn/winter where that occurred on a regular basis.
No more weather talk, I can feel Dino winding up another cheap shot....
Just as an aside though Dino, their having a mens gathering/workshop (you know plenty of group hugs, drum playing) for blokes who can't express their emotions over Easter. I'd be happy to book you in. No photos of course. Total privacy.
The Ox will handle swells from the ENE to the S. East with a touch of south is the best.
Large straight east swells hit the outside button hard and square and freight train down the line with a slight Angourie style bend in at you.
South swells tend to fatten out and push. They can be fun when it's small if the sandbank is good.
Aren't you gunna be around over easter?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Hahahahhaaaa......I can just see you and Curto, two big units in their sluggos, bawling their eyes out by the campfire during the nightly sharing circle......

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:29 pm

steve shearer wrote:Aren't you gunna be around over easter?
Sawtell for a few days on the way up, if it isn't still underwater.

Byron for a few days on the way down, which will include a drive or two to regions south of Byron. Love that stretch of coastline.