STUPID ways to ding your board

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: STUPID ways to ding your board

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:11 pm

2 stories, first one very embarassing, jumping of the pool at cronulla and relising that leg rope was wrapped around a pole on the pool edge, set slammed me, smashed board and body, laugh about it now, but at the time......................... :lol:

Mate just picked up a board made by crooked river down gerringong way a long time ago, board was just freshly finished so no way he was surfing it as wanted to just leave to cure. We were having lunch and one friend carelessly chucked his fork high over his shoulder, the fork flipped through the air a few times and landed square in the middle of the new board with a lound twang, such a easy fix but the funniest and flucky thing I have ever seen and will never forget the look on my mates face
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:12 pm

2 stories, first one very embarassing, jumping of the pool at cronulla and relising that leg rope was wrapped around a pole on the pool edge, set slammed me, smashed board and body, laugh about it now, but at the time......................... :lol:

Mate just picked up a board made by crooked river down gerringong way a long time ago, board was just freshly finished so no way he was surfing it as wanted to just leave to cure. We were having lunch and one friend carelessly chucked his fork high over his shoulder, the fork flipped through the air a few times and landed square in the middle of the new board with a lound twang, such a easy fix but the funniest and flucky thing I have ever seen and will never forget the look on my mates face
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 am

Oooooh, memories come flooding back no board damage though - car...

2 mals in the back of the old VL wagon, both in padded board bags, bit of jiggling and rearranging to make ’em fit. Lent on the tail of mine, pretty gently I might add and promptly spiderwebbed half the front windscreen. :oops: :D

Don’t know my own strength. :mrgreen:

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 am

I have driven over 2 of my own boards in various car parks :oops: :oops: :oops:
Heres one I dont like to talk about......doing arepair for a customer....small ding on tail ...glass it up with U.V. resin ...put it out in the sun in the driveway at the back of the factory...5 minutes later I hear a sickening sound of crunching, shattering foam & fibreglass.....the guy from the factory next door had driven over the nose & also dragged it about 6 feet along the concrete....pharked.
Had to replace the board AND repair the one with tyre marks in..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 am

RichQ wrote:Had to replace the board AND repair the one with tyre marks in..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
New design feature or not a bad idea for a spray :D :?:

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:27 am

all these boards flying off the roof of cars.... WTF are you people tying your boards on with? shoelaces?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:46 am

bookster wrote:all these boards flying off the roof of cars.... WTF are you people tying your boards on with? shoelaces?
At least one of the above took the racks and all off. At least one aother forgot to tie it on. Haven't seen any about breaking the tie downs.

Anyway, my story. Well two actually.
1/ 1967 - nice 9'3" Woosley. Came out of the surf at Kirra. Slotted the board on my racks. Got changed. Drove off without applying restraints (read, ropes). No problem until I rounded Kirra point towards Coolangatta into the lovely southerly which was providing such great waves. The board did a perfect glider-type take off veered slightly left and glided to earth (bitumen) in a perfect, two point landing. Looked like I'd run a belt snader across the deck at the nose and tail. Just lost the colour. Stayed watertight.
2/ (much) more recently. Picked up my new board from John Sojoski up and Copacobana and brought it home. Put it up on a rack to cure for a couple of weeks. Came THE BIG DAY, I get the board down, walk out to the car and swing it round to go on the racks, smashing the rail just behind the nose into the edge of the door I had left open. Had my first surf on it with duct tape in my line of sight to remind me what a clumsy dickhead I was.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:00 am

ric_vidal wrote:
RichQ wrote:Had to replace the board AND repair the one with tyre marks in..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
New design feature or not a bad idea for a spray :D :?:
you could start a whole new range .... maybe call it "Derilique" ...

tyre marks are a good start ... other sprays could be ; fire damage, axe attack (imagine disgruntled spouse) , blood stains (fong could help with the inspiration there with his interest in shark attacks), massive crease's as if been run over by a mal or SUP (Butts can advise on this one) ...

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:13 am

13th birthday and my auntie brings around my cousins old singlefin for me as a present.
so stoked, no more borrowing boards of the neighbour.
when everyone went home from the party, i begged mum to take me down for a surf.
i opened up the back of mums station wagon and to put it in there and lay on the board to see how it imaginary paddles. and i hear this crack.
the little boot latch had been pressed into the underside of the board.

these days it looks alot worse after my brother got his hands on it and left it in a hot car.

Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:17 am

My artwork tends to be more minimalist.....Polar Bear in a snowstorm is my favourite spray.....although I did do aseries of beer labels quite a few years ago...

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:38 pm

On a pathetically small day, I tried to do some piss poor floater thing over and across the board of some chick paddling out. Utterly failed on the floater, slid off the lip and put a fin right through this chick's board.

...Turned out to be my girlfriend. On one of my boards :oops: :|
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

bumfluff
Owl status

Post by bumfluff » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:42 am

We loaded the boards on top of his toyota corolla (first car) and didnt tie them down. Driving along and we hear a thump sssccreeeetcchhhh...and then another thump thump......scccccrrrrereeetttccccchhhh.

:lol:
Last edited by bumfluff on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:08 pm

iggy wrote:many moons ago i was in car that lost 5 boards off the roof all at the same time..
mate's VH commodore piled up with boards and fanging it at 140klms along the old road to Cabarita and hit the onset of a southerly change coming through..
board landed rather delicately in a thicket of bushy shrubs off the side of the road..
Pretty much the same story but with a cortina. :roll:
Nearly always on land. Most recent being my son's board backing into the tail of my mal as we walked to the water. Both boards dinged :roll:

Kingscliff 1970s-Now deceased mate goes and lives in Brisbane for a couple of months to save enough money for a new board. Returns with his new Nat Young backside special. After the first surf forgets to tie it on to the roofracks and it hits the curb right outside the milkbar near the fig tree(now a groovy italian eatery). Jumps out in a rage and starts belting it into a telegraph pole and then goes home spewing.
Sells it to a mate for $50 who repairs most of the dings. The mate doesn't like it so I visit the mate, buy it for $50 and drive down to Newcastle. Have it for about eight months having a ball on it. Original owner finally "steals" it out of the back of someone's ute when I am back home and gets some use out of his purchase.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:35 pm

see a irish chick on mal paddle into a inside screamer at t-tree

assume ( :roll: ) shes going go right.....paddle too what should be here inside giving her the face wave obstacle free ( a rare thing up here :x )

only find shes gone left straight over the top me :shock: struggling too her feet

sore neck for me....dinged up rail...surf cut short

noosa...what a shame :(

this stuff is just all too common on a decent ( very rare) swell :cry:

i fully blame the surf schools and surf mags for destroying our culture :evil:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:52 pm

Stupid ways to ding your board....lend it to Fong for a few waves :P .

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:01 pm

tiger wrote:In my mates car, board lying across the back seats about a ft of nose protruding out the window. See a mate walking along the road, so we pull over to say hi. Nose hit's telegraph pole and obliterates about 5-6". Frame of window also smashes 3" into the rail. Shattering yet hilarious all at the same time.
That happens in "Endless Summer" only it was a 10foot mal and it snapped in half.

I've had some "out-of water" experiences:-
1. Left early for McMasters with a mate who strapped our boards on the roof of his car - 2 kilometres down the round doing 80kmh a board (mine!) goes flying off the roof. No board cover, lost its fins and hasn't been the same since. :evil: Thankfully no cars behind us. My mate forgot to fully tension the roof straps.
2. On more than one occasion when I've rested my boards against a wall and a sudden gust of wind blows it over - no big damage just annoying side fractures to repair. :oops:
3. Plus the occasional concrete wall fracture from carelessly walking into the showerblocks to wash off after a surf. Hold the board vertical, not horizontal stupid. :oops:
4. Had a 9 foot mal in my shitbox unsellable Magna wagon years ago lying across the seats facing the windscreen. A driver makes a right turn across my line. I can't stop in time and t-bone her car. The board flies forward smashing my windscreen. The broken screen and the other damage to my car was sufficient to warrant a write-off and a nice fat cheque for me. I still have the board - it only suffered a minor nose fracture that was easily repaired in 5 minutes. No personal injuries either so an overall good result. :)

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:36 pm

Ringmaster wrote:Young and dumb many years ago..............

Dropped mate off after a session and untied occy straps to get his board off the racks.........

Jumped back in car and drove down very steep hill from his joint only to look in the rear vision mirror and see my 2 month old board in lightweight sock cover cartwheeling down the hill behind me..........

....forgot to re-attach occy straps :oops: :cry:

....board fubar :cry:
Sounds about right, lol.

pointboardrider

Post by pointboardrider » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Took a new board out for first surf. First wave, go to do a bottom hand turn, board flips over land on the bottom of it with my elbow creating a long and deep new concave.
Another new board, 2nd or 3rd surf, , came in and put my board in car, go to drive off and realise I creased the nose 4 inches up almost the whole way through. Dont even know how the fark I did it!
Once owned a nutter dog. I used to keep a spare board around the side of the house. Must of falln over as the dog played and stepped on it...for 6 months.