STUPID ways to ding your board

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

RichQ
regular

STUPID ways to ding your board

Post by RichQ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:28 pm

I see alot of dinged boards, and most of them happen on dry land....I'm sure there alot of reeeeaaaaly sorry stories out there. O.K. I'll start....A team rider of mine, who will remain nameless ( Matt Poul) was showing off his new unridden board to his mate &..... forgot about the ceiling fan! Lopped a razor clean 4" piece off the nose...DUHH! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Your turn.

bookster
barnacle

Re: STUPID ways to ding your board

Post by bookster » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 pm

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=12220

not really stupid, but annoying as hell :evil:

the ceiling fan would be pretty high on the stupid factor, never done it but cracked my board going out the front door plenty of times trying to juggle wetties, towels board all at once... maybe two trips to the car would be better...

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Old days , tightening up the screw in the fin box and slipped and stuck the screwdriver straight through the bottom of the board, only a small hole , no problems, except when I turn it over and find I’ve ploughed straight into the leggie plug and popped it out ... :!:

Talking to mate while tying three boards on the roof of the car, reverse out of spot to hear daughters board slide off and crash on the concrete from the roof of a 4WD crushing most of one rail, I slid it straight back in the cover and told her it was fine , then repaired it over a few nights ... :oops:

Getting over enthusiastic with a new board and deciding that the shallow reef in the middle of Mona Vale was a good spot to attempt to land an air … that was out of my league and had to take it to Pure surfboards to get the nose re-attached … lucky that bloke knew what he was doin’ , it hasn’t fallen off (yet) … :wink:

Not mine, but many years ago when you could light fires on Forresters beach , we used to take turns running home for lunch while one or two would stay behind to mind the boards, the boards were resting on a large branch about a foot thick with one end in the fire … of coarse while I am sitting there with my back to the fire and fixated on the surf another mate says “what’s that smell” … our other mate who went home for lunch, had a new, really nice MR that he had saved and saved for and it was of course on fire … we grabbed it a ran for the water and when we chucked it in the glass on the deck sort of shattered into hundreds of little peaks like mini barnacles … it was very awkward having to explain it all when he got back from lunch but he was too devastated to be angry at us … :oops:
we ended up sanding it all back and re-glassing the deck, luckily the bottom was not damaged so it wasn't a right off …

Moby
Grommet

Post by Moby » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Getting my board out of the back of my car, pulling it out of the cover and dropping it tail first onto a drain grate :oops:

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:08 pm

My brother in law's mistake. Hope he's not reading this.... :D My sister had just bought a brand new board.

An hour later at the car park for it's first surf he undid the roof rack strap, the wind promptly picked the board up off the 4WD and slammed it nose first into the tarmac. The poor thing hadn't even been in the water yet.
The wave at Curl Curl is so good they had to name it twice :mrgreen:

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 pm

In my mates car, board lying across the back seats about a ft of nose protruding out the window. See a mate walking along the road, so we pull over to say hi. Nose hit's telegraph pole and obliterates about 5-6". Frame of window also smashes 3" into the rail. Shattering yet hilarious all at the same time.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Did a lot of wind damage to boards stuck out from the passenger seat of a sort of convertible.

jamming a 5'8 fish into the back seat, there's a way just you got to renegotiate direction as you bring it around the rear pillar and below, around the back of the front seat rail.

A 4x4x4 quickly creased near the nose, jamming it in with 3 other shortboards in the passenger seat of a 4 door sedan. When I bought this car, I assumed the back seat folded down, thought all modern cars did that. Seems to have gone out of practise more recently, and only the centre arm rest lets anything into the boot. Which is still okay for a smallish board so a passenger can sit in the front seat.

Cut some cross bars out of back of back seat, into the boot and left out the back seat in first car to see heavy board carrying, only one I've had that fitted an 8'6 mal, so no more mals. That was a very small car, too :shock: .

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:19 pm

When my sons were young, I was lying in bed and heard this dock dock dock sound. Came out into the lounge of the unit we were staying at to find my 2 young sons bouncing a golf ball on my board :shock:
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:28 pm

reading some of those car stories reminded me of another one ...

there was this bloke from DY years back (he was a bit of a d!ckhead loudmouth show-off) who drove an little open top suzuki 4wd , little bro and I are walking up the hill at DY point car park and this bloke shows up music blaring and starts driving around us in a tight circle at reasonable speed ... as he does his board fly's out the back but is hanging on by his leggie so he ends up dragging it all over the road and it's spinning over and getting smashed sh!tless ... we're yelling at him to stop but he thinks it's all funny and keeps going and going ... once he has eventually stopped he still had no idea his now rooted board was laying behind his car because he thought it was all so funny ... my little brother just said " you're board fell out" and we walked off ...

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:03 pm

letting ur mrs have a go

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:09 pm

When I was going through a slack period over a couple or more years, at the end of it from standing around the house found a foot long gash towards the tip on the bottom of one, and lots of bits of rails damaged :oops: :shock: :(

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:09 pm

I got sucked over the falls on dark at Bronte reef & somehow ended up karate kicking my board in mid air with my left foot. I got worked & realised my foot hurts. I hobble up the beach & find I have taken a large flat deep hunk of flesh off my heel. I then look up to see the missing skin stuck in the stringer of my board complete with a decent crease & a lovely sharp jagged ding.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Great topic.

I get dizzy sometimes in stormy surf, and lose all balance when i come out of the water. After a surf at Mollymook, i walk up to the stairs by the golf club, tangent off, lancing the nose of the board straight into the stone wall.

I also left maybe half an inch of the tail of my first board on the floors of buses, and the bitumen of bus stops (no car) Too lazy and clueless to fix the dings back then, so just used to plug it with wax every now and again.

I've done the ceiling fan too, walking into a dodgy hotel room in Kuta.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:37 pm

Chong wrote:I got sucked over the falls on dark at Bronte reef & somehow ended up karate kicking my board in mid air with my left foot. I got worked & realised my foot hurts. I hobble up the beach & find I have taken a large flat deep hunk of flesh off my heel. I then look up to see the missing skin stuck in the stringer of my board complete with a decent crease & a lovely sharp jagged ding.
We have a Winner!!! :mrgreen:

Spoke too soon bc yeah the idea of mashing the tail on everything, for me it was often done hiding a board underneath the car :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

distracted by the local redfern rat running across the power lines in front of the balcony :evil:

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 pm

maybe getting called into the set off the day, which i would never attempt to take off on usually, the thing jacks up and warps and sends me over in the lip of a 8 footer.
Brand new board in two bits, 2 wave hold down, all my mates laughing at me :oops:

pricks.....

funny one was my mate on a borrowed board, seeing how far he could walk on a slippery rock shelf, when he already should have jumped. Falls on arse and smashes tail :lol:

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Nothing spectacular, but just a couple of weeks ago I had my 1st board-off-the-roof experience. After a sh!tty surf at Warriewood I put the board on the roof, changed and was (thankfully) driving slowly down the road towards Nth Narra when a slight gush of wind lifts it up and it goes sailing onto the nature strip. Embarrassed :oops: But thankfully noone around, board nearly took out a oparked car too. A couple of small dings on the rail I'll get around to fixing one day :roll: Would have been stuffed if I'd made it to Pittwater road before it happened.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.