shaper loyalties...???

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

shaper loyalties...???

Post by pridmore » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Been talking to a well known shaper recently and he reckons that if you do 2 good boards for a customer, then you pretty much have him for life... I totally disagreed but was very keen to hear your thoughts... Do you guys have 1 shaper for all boards or do you get different boards from all different shapers ? I think every board needs to be as good as the shaper can make it for the customer to keep him stoked on the shapes and keep coming back....I cant name the shaper but it really did surprise me that he would think that 2 goodies and then it seemed he was happy just to give them boards without much thought and passion put into them :shock: :o ...thoughts ???? 8)

nu boy
regular

Re: shaper loyalties...???

Post by nu boy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:19 pm

I think that because there are so many good shapers around its not benificial to stick to one guy.If I ride the same thing day in day out I get board and start to loose inerest.I like being able to pick and choose and buy for the shape rather than the shaper.Ill always have my favorites but if sompthing catches my eye I wont hesitate to turn that way :)

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 pm

I always feel guilty if I try another brand but I figure after 20+ boards with my local shaper I can try other brands.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 am

I've had 2 shapers since of 15 ... started on second hand boards, my parents got me a new custom at 14 ... then it was one shaper from 15 to 22 then, 1 shaper since then ... I never lose interest in boards or surfing the same ones and I have never wanted a variety to choose from , I just like having 2 - 3 with one being an everyday and the others for bigger surf ... the first shaper moved to Qld then to Hawaii and the present shaper is very experienced and a good local nth beaches surfer who has always delivered the goods ... when I look around I see other great boards of course and am always interested but this guy has always looked after me and I am always happy ... my little bro has been getting his boards from this same guy since his first custom at probably age 15 as well ...

you could class us as loyal to that shaper I guess ...

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:31 pm

very interesting to hear diff opinions and how people choose their shapers and boards....so now i am wondering what it would take to get you guys to try a new shaper ??? Would your other shaper have to do you a few duds or would a sick looking board by another shaper do it ? or would a great price do it ? or maybe all of the above ??? :?: 8)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:49 pm

I would be a shaper's worst nightmare. I don't buy boards very often. Both my last two (current) boards were custom built and I think I would continue to go that way.
I used two different shapers because I had changed states between boards.
My choice of shaper is made based on how comfortable I feel talking to the guy. I soon get a feel for whether or not he's on my wavelength.
Current board came from John Sojoski and although he hadn't seen me surf I showed him my previous board, discussed its strong and weak points and how I felt I had evolved in the few years since it was made. He made a couple of suggestions as well. I looked at some of his work and have been very happy with the result.
Previous board was from John Broadhurst at Burleigh Heads. I surfed with him sometimes so he had a good idea of my style and what I wanted. Again, he threw some suggestions into the mix.
Again, I have been happy with the result.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Only ever had one board shaped, prior to that one was a pop out and the other was second hand.

Been really impressed with the board so far and I really liked dealing with Grant Miller too. Convenience of phone calls and email was a definite bonus in keeping track of things.

I'll definitely go back to him for my next one.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:53 am

Hatchman wrote:Only ever had one board shaped, prior to that one was a pop out and the other was second hand.

Been really impressed with the board so far and I really liked dealing with Grant Miller too. Convenience of phone calls and email was a definite bonus in keeping track of things.

I'll definitely go back to him for my next one.
Ditto.

danw
regular

Post by danw » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:19 pm

pridmore wrote:Been talking to a well known shaper recently and he reckons that if you do 2 good boards for a customer, then you pretty much have him for life... I totally disagreed but was very keen to hear your thoughts... Do you guys have 1 shaper for all boards or do you get different boards from all different shapers ? I think every board needs to be as good as the shaper can make it for the customer to keep him stoked on the shapes and keep coming back....I cant name the shaper but it really did surprise me that he would think that 2 goodies and then it seemed he was happy just to give them boards without much thought and passion put into them :shock: :o ...thoughts ???? 8)

^^ i have had same sahper for 25yrs. i have also owned many others baords from different shapers, which my shaper of 25yrs encouraged. he loves to see other shapers designs & is always cuious about the boards performance in the surf.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:00 pm

I know I shouldn't but I felt kinda guilty recently when I tried another shaper ( and diff technology ). One of my good mates shapes my boards and for most I like them and does me a very good price. And to be honest when I told him what I was up to I felt a little resentment which I was prepared for. But my biggest surprise was that he showed no interest whatsoever in the different shape and technology when I went for a surf with him and the new board.
He is a relatively young shaper by board tally and years shaping in comparison to allot of the solid guys that post and are mentioned on on here but I was amazed he wasn't all over it and maybe gaining some further knowledge. Is this a ego thing for a shaper ?? Any of the craft builders care to shed some light ??

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:56 pm

guard wrote:I like to be loyal but like others say their are a lot of good shapers and a lot of the shapers might be experts in certain fields so i will go to them for a certain shape(s) but they might not be experts in bonzers or quads sort of thing.

If i was to spend a few grand on a quiver tomorrow id like some of these-
(i wouldnt get all these im just interested)

-Jim banks mkiii 5'10
-stretch f4 5'11-6'0 rounded pin (by stretch not surftech)
-Jim banks indo rocket 6'1- 6'5
-Jim banks hit the road 6'10
-More fatbat 5'10
-Simon anderson sf4
-Not sure who but a nice 6 channel tube specialty thruster.
-compsand or sunova
-other boards by more
-Bonzer
-Widowmaker
- some sort of fish by mackie
Jim banks glide fish

That would pretty much complete my quiver for my tastes today but i wouldnt be able to get the same boards from one shaper, they would all shape them a bit differently.
Id like to be able to get boards more frequently or get that sort of a quiver but
im not in that position really..
But i do stick to shapers who shape a quality board.
Yeah, I like that quiver. I have some of those boards and like the others mentioned I dont have. Different boards, shapes, construction techniques etc keeps it interesting for me although if I only had one board for the rest of my life I would still be massively stoked.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Loyalty cuts both ways. I think it's an inappropriate term to apply to the shaper/surfer relationship. How would the loyalty be demonstrated by the shaper?

This is best held in the area of practical experience and professional skill.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Loyalty cuts both ways. I think it's an inappropriate term to apply to the shaper/surfer relationship. How would the loyalty be demonstrated by the shaper?

This is best held in the area of practical experience and professional skill.
Maybe , but think most knew what I meant.... :roll: I meant ' what makes a surfer stick with one shaper' ? the loyalty wouldnt be demonstrated by the shaper coz how can that be done ?, just make the 'loyal' customers ( and all customers ) good equipment . Just hoping to get an insight to how and why some surfers choose their shapers to better myself..... 8)

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:25 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:30 pm

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/heral ... tory_6599/

i'm obviously a surfboard slut :oops: and will try anyone out

having said that.....i allways seem end up back on a dahlberg

they just seem all ways work for me

i go back webber too....basicly , best i can figure it, his hypnotized me sometime in the past and programed me get a board off him every couple years :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and he seems save his wierdest shit up for me....last one doubled as a air craft carrier :lol:
iggy wrote:
more so, just pick up a board now and think "yep, that's the board that's going to do what i'm after!!!"

i've had just as many good boards off the rack as what i've had customs... if they work they work, and if they don't they don't

it's a sad feeling ordering a custom that turns out below your expectation.
i'm much the same, unless you can find a shaper who really wants get into what his doing and put everything his got into a custom..and there a rare breed..your wasting your time

if you see what u like...just buy it off the rack

nothin else it be cured :lol:

price is everything....why pay $750 when you can get just a good board for $500 :?:

i want start my triade about chinnese surfboards....i prefer support local blokes who actually surf

you can spend your $$$ with whoeva you like

but for sure....if i know a shaper who produces boards that allways work good for me

i'll allways go back...it's a security blanket thing :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Iggy - I think you'll find that Simon shapes all his boards. I could be wrong but my brother worked with him for years on his computor pre-shapes and I don't think anyone else was involved.

I tend to get my boards from one guy ( Rex Marechal) but have also quite a few from a motley collection of people over the years. Rex delivers the goods in every sense but there is still that curiosity about what a board from Simon or MR or ( insert preferred guru) would be like.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:40 am

Even if I'm only getting a twist on one of a shapers basic shapes, it's great to go over what might be the go, before it's made.

It's great too to walk in and look at a lot of boards, take advice from someone who knows the universe more than I do, who listens to my rave and then get one straight away!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:23 am

iggy wrote:^^ same same with Banksy...
and likely hoards of renowned shapers...
you're paying for the design and the experience they have in design...

hope i didn't offend any of the inspiring shapers out there with my previous comments (Prid, Rich, RicV :lol:)...

there's stacks of pluses and minuses of buying off the rack vs custom

what i meant to communicate is that there's a whole bunch of great experienced shapers out there with a plethora of good forumlas and varied designs out there, and the appeal of buying one that's of suitable dimensions etc... is that you can actually see what it is you're buying...

whereas sometimes with a custom shape it can be a bit like sitting in the barbers chair and wondering what it's all gonna turn out like...

the beauty of getting a custom of the likes of Ric V, More, etc... is that they're less likely to stick to a set formula or the norm, and come up with something more left field that's gonna work for you...

not sure I agree on all fronts there Iggy but I do agree with some shapers having a stack of knowledge on design but who is to say they are genuinely enthusiastic about getting your board exactly right for you ? Could a big name shaper rest on his laurels and reputation and lose some of the passion to create you ( 'joe blo off the street' ) a great board ??? know that if he makes a few average ones that he int going to go broke but if I were to put out a few duds, then word spreads and I soon have no business. So what I gues I am saying is that smaller guys with less years in the game but still knowledgeable and passionate will put more effort, enthusiasm and personal service into your custom shape board. Plus he will actually shape the whole thing...just IMO....thats if you go custom and thats what I think is best for ost surfers but some guys can get off the rack boards that go great for them but it was very rare for me..and I always loved the whole process and personalizing the board to not only go well but almost a bit of a representation of me....this is not a speil to say that the small guys do a better job but just another side of it and if you want alot of personal service and to be a real part of it than its more likely to happen with a guy who only does 5 a week. I love doing the 'left field' stuff but I dont think that it depends on what you want from the shape and the experience. Some shapers with big naes wont shape exactly what you ask coz ' they know better' and arent willing to discuss and come up with a design that is what the customer wants and they only want to stick to what they know works...well and good but not very rereshing for all to ride very similar shapes and never go a little 'left field' sometimes..???? just my rant and it really i each to their own but if you have only had offthe rack boards I encourage you to chat with a good shaper and see what he suggest for you in a custom shape, maybe even have a surf with him if possible, coz I know it really does help....sorry to ramble on.... 8)