seeing sharks while surfing

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

terry679

seeing sharks while surfing

Post by terry679 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Maybe this topic has been covered but I was wondering who has any shark sighting stories .While down the coast at chrissy I was told one day by this guy in the surf that he had seen a hammer head just meters away from a group of 15 or so surfers[unpatrolled beach]. I think I d shit my self .I thought I was just getting lucky that arvo that so few were surfing that break, may they all shit them selves.

turtle
barnacle

Re: seeing sharks while surfing

Post by turtle » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:00 pm

roughly 7am this morning around barrenjoey head, solid 14footer.

who was surfing palm beach this morning??
signatures, finally got it covered.

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:13 pm

turtle wrote:roughly 7am this morning around barrenjoey head, solid 14footer.

who was surfing palm beach this morning??
Pack of about ten hammers off mystics this morning.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:41 pm

i had one go directly beneath me at a reef at nobbys beach, i looked at my mate and he was in a state of shock and couldnt even get the word 'shark' out. it was only a port jackson shark as long as me, didnt bother going in surf was too good. also the water top to reef was only prolly a meter deep.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:42 pm

my local was closed today due sharks

it takes a bit close down a international tourist hot spot out fear sharks

basically...it must been for real :shock:

otherwise local chamber commerce would go off there heads at such a thing making people shy away from holidaying and spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$ here

p.s and there is totally no crime up here as well...totally :? :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Yeah....the sharks'll be panicking fit to bust

Any self respecting shark would swim to Terrigal to avoid that 2000-strong pile of half cocked bankers, grandmothers on steroids, swim squad superkids, and floundering clubbies in IRBs.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:20 pm

^^ he/she only came for a look. i've been seeing them for 30yrs so all this fear i hear or read in media is like water off ducks back. never stopped me going in the water, and with a number of years under me belt in the water i couldn't complain if one of the big fellas took me.

i'd go down kickin and screamin though, do you worry about that

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:29 pm

that 2000-strong pile of half cocked bankers, grandmothers on steroids, swim squad superkids, and floundering clubbies in IRBs.

^^ grannies on steroids, i think it's the sharks that should be worried

TMC
Harry the Hat

Post by TMC » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:51 pm

dinosaur wrote:Palmy to whale swim next weekend.

imagine the frenzy the panic. and that'll just be the media beat up. I cant even think how they will re-act if there is an actual sighting.

god i hope there is.

I love a good mass panic
My girlfriend is going in this next weekend. I've spent the last two weeks stirring her up about all the sharks sitting off whaley. Was working pretty well until her friend pointed out the sheer number of people taking part would scare off any potential nibblers.
Coops@DY wrote:Tangents is a members only, wild west style frontier. People have lost their minds, cried, threatened to kill other members in here Its great!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Any self respecting shark would swim to Terrigal to avoid that 2000-strong pile of half cocked bankers, grandmothers on steroids, swim squad superkids, and floundering clubbies in IRBs.
What about you Knicknack? Don’t see ‘super clubbie’ mentioned as a category.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Yep... I'm sure I wrote a heap on this a couple of years ago when a similarly themed thread appeared.

Long story short... seen countless "toy" sharks ( Port Jacksons, small Hammerheads and these weird spotty things that look like wobbys but are a different species ), plus 7 good sized, real ones at close quarters while surfing in 25 years. Never seen anything bigger than 8' though, more "man-biters" than "man-eaters". :wink:

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:38 pm

what time? which day? this race. might go check it out, ya never know with all EXTRA SHARK ACTION might be a bit of a feast.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:47 pm

hey dug, one we saw today was big nurse i think..
definately not a white.
i've come come across loads of shark species mainly through fishing. have seen couple of whites but never over 10ft..
biggest one i've come across was off yamba, was a tiger.
and i have no idea how big but the boat was 18ft and he seemed to be big as boat, my adrenalin was pumping cos we had reeled him in only 10mins and didn't know was shark.

love em or hate em, they really are amazing creatures

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:55 pm

As kids, early to mid 60's we would be surfing the point at Kirra when the shark alarm would go off. All the swimmers would hit the beach as well as 90% of the surfers. We used to stay out and enjoy the uncrowded conditions.
Yeah. Absolutely crazy I know. No leggies in those days.
I imagine if we saw a shadow we'd have shat ourselves.
I've done some stupid things in cars in my time but those "sharing with the shark" days were probably about as dumb as they come.

yomutha
Grommet

Post by yomutha » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:56 pm

15 footer great white was hangin around Phillip island 2 years ago. Thought it was bullshit until I saw a Dorsal fin cruising around 100 metres from Cowes pier :shock:

There's always gonna be sharks around there, there's a bloody seal colony and fairy penguin nest! You'd be stupid NOT to go there if you were a shark!

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:03 pm

yomutha wrote:15 footer great white was hangin around Phillip island 2 years ago. Thought it was bullshit until I saw a Dorsal fin cruising around 100 metres from Cowes pier :shock:

There's always gonna be sharks around there, there's a bloody seal colony and fairy penguin nest! You'd be stupid NOT to go there if you were a shark!
It's a freakin seal buffet there! In the breeding season between October & December there's up to 16,000 seals there at once.

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Few years back in Savaii Samoa 4 of us were cruising for Tuna in between surfs about 2km out in 14ft rubber zodiac ( stupid now that I think back) and one of the crew had just lost a solid tuna after being hooked up for 5 minutes we were a bit bummed . As the guys scrambled for more tackle I was up against the motor with one foot on the side when I was thrown forward into the boat. Crew were just staring at me going what the f$%#@^ was that all about ?? Stood back up and peered over the back of boat to see the offender ........a tiger shark at least the length of the zodiac come up again for a taste of the prop. Needles to say we all shit ourselves hundled together in the middle and blumbered like girls as Keith got the motor started and we got the hell out of there.
Was rather edgy for the remainder of the trip when surfing that side of the island .....

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:32 pm

For over 35 years I had seen no sharks at all while surfing until last February at The Superbank. Only a 3 foot whaler variety but I didn't wait for his parents to turn up.
However it's the ones that you don't see that are the problem....... many of us may well have been surfing 10 metres from death for years and not even been aware of it.