Flesh eating surfers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, Butts, beach_defender, Legion, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

Post Reply
Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 26432
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Flesh eating surfers

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 am

Not wanting to butt in on the vego thread but feeling the need to express my own habits...

I am a meat eater. Like I'll pretty much eat anything, but I do really enjoy eating the flesh of other animals. I've caught and eaten numerous fish of various sizes, and while respecting the s**t out of their scaly little hides, I'm also swift to gut them and cook them in whatever manner seems right at the time, or possibly even to eat 'em raw. I eat chicken, pig, veal and beef, and I would not hesitate to kill any of said animals in order to eat 'em. Part of me thinks it is a shame that farmers who raise really good beef, pigs etc don't issue invitations to people to come along and witness or take part in the humane killing of an animal that they're going to eat, just in order to make that connection between life, death, and food. After all, I grow vegies and herbs in the back yard and every time I pluck a handful of stuff out and use it to make a nice dinner, it always feels that little bit more special.

Anyway there ya go. I eat meat and I'm fine with every aspect of it.

puurri
Owl status
Posts: 4922
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Coogee Heights (estate agent speak)

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by puurri » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:56 am

in full!!

User avatar
lessormore
barnacle
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:19 am
Location: southside

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by lessormore » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:01 am

How about whale,turtle,horse or dog meat. They're quite popular in some cultures.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

User avatar
Chillin
charger
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by Chillin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:06 am

Yep, iv eaten snake and frog too and i while i doubt i actually kill a cat and eat it, i suspect that the old pie shop in Charlestown, which was closed down because of that reason, fed me some once.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Quangers
Local
Posts: 591
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:55 pm
Location: down a secluded bush track

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by Quangers » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:13 am

Being a bit of a country boy - I've witnessed many a time when the roast has been put to death. Flesh is good - especially some of the less popular varieties - kangaroo, rabbit and even crocodile goes alright.
There are too many young kids getting around today who have been allowed to take the vegan path and as a result are unhealthy and unhappy looking little tykes who are susceptible to every little bug going.

User avatar
dunnc
regular
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:48 pm
Location: Northern Beaches

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by dunnc » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 am

Africa is the place for you then NC. You can spend the day checking out the various wildlife - antelopes, zebras etc ,then at night you can chow down on a variety of them. Kudu biltong, Thompson Gazelle, Zebra, Springbok, Crocodile and Buffalo to name a few. Good times...

Felix
Local
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:36 pm
Location: Northern Beaches

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by Felix » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:06 am

If you were a cannibal would you rather dine on Jennifer Hawkins or Magda Szubanski?

That's about the difference between healthy beasts and what's commercially available.

moreorless
regular
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:18 am

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by moreorless » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:15 am

I recommend that before you eat your next chicken fillet or pork chop you check out one of the factory farms where most of this produce is grown.

It will probably put you off eating this stuff for life.

Free-range is the only way to go for me. At least the chooks and porkers get something like a decent life before they get the chop.

Factory farms are cruel and evil.

User avatar
lessormore
barnacle
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:19 am
Location: southside

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by lessormore » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:20 am

moreorless wrote: At least the chooks and porkers get something like a decent life before they get the chop.
It's all about the journey- not the destination 8) 8)
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

User avatar
Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2795
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:38 am
Location: unfortunately very expensive to get to ...

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by Surfin Turf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:55 am

^^^^^

this may assist ... :idea:

http://wt.tuxomania.net/fun/mad_cows/

User avatar
CaptKooK
Grommet
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:39 am

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by CaptKooK » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Just curious if any of the flesh eaters have seen the doco 'Earthlings'?

User avatar
Dingus
Owl status
Posts: 3974
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:24 pm

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by Dingus » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 pm

While I'm fond of red meat I don't buy it myself to eat, and rarely order it. I'll normally stick to white meats, especially chicken when the decision is mine to make. I love steak and chops though, it's just that for some reason it's not my first choice.

Apart from the standard meats, in my time I've also chowed down on a lot of wallaby, rabbit, eel, crocodile, emu, kangaroo and have tried at least porcupine and some of the lesser bird species, plus there'd have to be a couple more that escape me now.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

User avatar
CaptKooK
Grommet
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:39 am

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by CaptKooK » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:14 pm

would you eat a puppy, dolphin, chimp?

User avatar
WANDERER
Owl status
Posts: 3942
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 9:25 am

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:26 pm

This thread needs more "turducken"!!!

I reckon it'd be right up your alley NC, especially if it was wholly marinated in Carolina Treet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken
The largest recorded nested bird roast is 17 birds, attributed to a royal feast in France in the early 19th century (originally called a Rôti Sans Pareil, or "Roast without equal") - a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an Ortolan Bunting and a Garden Warbler. The final bird is small enough that it can be stuffed with a single olive; it also suggests that, unlike modern multi-bird roasts, there was no stuffing or other packing placed in between the birds. This dish probably could not be legally recreated in the modern era as many of the listed birds are now protected species.

User avatar
Lucky Al
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 8431
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:53 am
Location: The Sad Tropics

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:33 pm

i'm a vego surfer and i've seen lots of animals killed to be eaten by humans - cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks, goats, a buffalo, frogs, dogs, fish and many more i forget right now. i've also seen a couple of humans be killed by humans, but i don't think they were eaten afterwards. my grandfather killed chickens for a living for several years and my best mate at high school killed cows for a living and loved to kill pigs on weekends until his early death by cow-and-pig killing (okay, in a car crash). my ex-wife loved boiling crabs in our kitchen and calling me over for a look in the pot. i've read and enjoyed peter bowes' byron bay series. every time i go with a friend to the village he grew up in in son la province in northern vietnam his brother who lives in the village cuts a goat's throat and skins it and boils it that afternoon so everyone can eat it while getting royally smashed on rice liquour with snake's blood in it that night. my girl now loves to eat all kinds of animals, and no doubt our son will too. i realise that for many people killing animals to eat is a necessary and ordinary, even enjoyable, part of life. but for me it's unnecessary and extraordinary and cruel, and although i won't refuse a bowl of buffalo meat and rice at a death anniversary in a hmong village because that would be rude, even cruel, to my hosts, i hate seeing animals be killed and don't want to be a part of it. having said all that, however, when i was very small, under two years of age, there was a dog in our family who seemed to have a sense of humour: my brother and i would drag ourselves upright by pulling on its fur and lean on its back to stand and walk, and every now and then it would suddenly step to the side just before we leaned so instead of standing and walking we would go tumbling and sprawling. i guess the most humane way to kill a dog with a sense of humour would be to cut its throat, although the goats i've seen have their throats cut seem to go through several minutes of pain and fear before it's over. maybe give it sleeping pills, then? or lock it in a car with the engine going and the exhaust pipe blocked. i don't know, what do you flesh eaters think?

User avatar
Chillin
charger
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by Chillin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Just for those clowns who don't know, its illegal to feed animals for human consumption with hormones and has been for at least thirty years.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

User avatar
steve shearer
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 31277
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by steve shearer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Lucky Al wrote:i'm a vego surfer and i've seen lots of animals killed to be eaten by humans - cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks, goats, a buffalo, frogs, dogs, fish and many more i forget right now. i've also seen a couple of humans be killed by humans, but i don't think they were eaten afterwards. my grandfather killed chickens for a living for several years and my best mate at high school killed cows for a living and loved to kill pigs on weekends until his early death by cow-and-pig killing (okay, in a car crash). my ex-wife loved boiling crabs in our kitchen and calling me over for a look in the pot. i've read and enjoyed peter bowes' byron bay series. every time i go with a friend to the village he grew up in in son la province in northern vietnam his brother who lives in the village cuts a goat's throat and skins it and boils it that afternoon so everyone can eat it while getting royally smashed on rice liquour with snake's blood in it that night. my girl now loves to eat all kinds of animals, and no doubt our son will too. i realise that for many people killing animals to eat is a necessary and ordinary, even enjoyable, part of life. but for me it's unnecessary and extraordinary and cruel, and although i won't refuse a bowl of buffalo meat and rice at a death anniversary in a hmong village because that would be rude, even cruel, to my hosts, i hate seeing animals be killed and don't want to be a part of it. having said all that, however, when i was very small, under two years of age, there was a dog in our family who seemed to have a sense of humour: my brother and i would drag ourselves upright by pulling on its fur and lean on its back to stand and walk, and every now and then it would suddenly step to the side just before we leaned so instead of standing and walking we would go tumbling and sprawling. i guess the most humane way to kill a dog with a sense of humour would be to cut its throat, although the goats i've seen have their throats cut seem to go through several minutes of pain and fear before it's over. maybe give it sleeping pills, then? or lock it in a car with the engine going and the exhaust pipe blocked. i don't know, what do you flesh eaters think?
What a sensitive flower you are Lucky Al....what do you find unneccessary , cruel and extraordinary about it.
Surely nothing could be more mundane and ordinary.
We have canines and a digestive tract optimised for an omnivorous diet.
Humans have been eating animals since the dawn of time.
What do you find cruel ?
The method of killing or the fact that the animal has sentience?
All organisms have rudimentary sense organs and "intelligence".
Even an amoeba or a virus reacts to stimulus in it's environment.
Does ripping a lettuce out of the ground seem unneccessary and cruel ....and the death of the beetles, caterpillars and micro-organisms which live on it? Or are they not anthropomorphised enough ? It's hard to relate to a beetle.
Or is more of a nameless existential dread related to the fact that our mere existence must mean the death of other animals?
I catch and kill my own fish. The most humane way (and best way to get sashimi grade fish) to kill is a Japanese technique called iki jima. Basically a spike inserted into the brain causing instant death, then cut the throat to bleed the fish.
When in Alaska I was taught by locals to eat every part of the fish (including guts and eyes), with the understanding that the dead human body would end up back in nature feeding the fish.
Circle of life.
Eternal recurrence.
Makes sense to me.
Steve
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

yomutha
Grommet
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:50 pm
Location: anywhere good

Re: Flesh eating surfers

Post by yomutha » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:20 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Not wanting to butt in on the vego thread but feeling the need to express my own habits...

I am a meat eater. Like I'll pretty much eat anything, but I do really enjoy eating the flesh of other animals. I've caught and eaten numerous fish of various sizes, and while respecting the s**t out of their scaly little hides, I'm also swift to gut them and cook them in whatever manner seems right at the time, or possibly even to eat 'em raw. I eat chicken, pig, veal and beef, and I would not hesitate to kill any of said animals in order to eat 'em. Part of me thinks it is a shame that farmers who raise really good beef, pigs etc don't issue invitations to people to come along and witness or take part in the humane killing of an animal that they're going to eat, just in order to make that connection between life, death, and food. After all, I grow vegies and herbs in the back yard and every time I pluck a handful of stuff out and use it to make a nice dinner, it always feels that little bit more special.

Anyway there ya go. I eat meat and I'm fine with every aspect of it.
I'm confused with your concept of "respect" when you kill something... Does that mean if I killed you while respecting your scary little hide, would that be alright?

Killing anything 'humanely' is absolute bullshit. I'm pretty sure the animals wouldn't like the idea of becoming your food... So why kill em anyway? Because we're better than em?! Ha!


For a long time I've decided to keep my "beliefs" to myself, hoping that it would rub off on other people... But after posting on this forum, people don't have a clue about the main concept of life; equality.

Tell me this: Is striving for equality a belief?
If so, would that mean I could be as racist or sexist as I want as that would be my belief? How are treating animals like lower beings any different to racism? Just because they speak a different language/look different means that we're aloud to do whatever we want with them?
Animals do a hell of alot for the world; they keep the ecosystem in balance while maintaining the circle of life. Without them, we would be screwed. Humans on the other hand, are turning the world into an absolute shithole due ignorance or egotistical thinking.

So why do we insist on killing animals?
Power. Narcissism. Vanity.
While many flesh eaters choose to avoid these facts, they are the reasons why people eat animals. We think we're better than animals.


... Are we?



I'm not asking everyone on this forum to turn into a complete vegan; just try to cut out some of your meat intake. Care about the environment, respect it. Try to make an effort.
Last edited by yomutha on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests