Where are they now ??????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Where are they now ??????

Post by pridmore » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:31 am

I was sitting around with friends the other night and having a few drinks when conversation went to ' surfers that you never hear of anymore ', it was very interesting remembering them and were they are now so I thought this could make a great thread. We all know of some great surfers ( either local shredders or big time pro's ) , I am sure you would like to know where are they now ????

I will start it off with Jason Buttenshaw, the skinny kid from Kirra who could reall tube ride and should have done much better out of surfing than he did. Heard he was bashed by another Cooly grom and not sure what happened next ??? anybody know ????

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where are they now ??????

Post by Karlos » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:34 am

Chappy Jennings?
Nick Wood?
Stuart Cadden?
Oh yeah almost forgot, Andy Irons.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:56 am

Id be really interested to hear about Nicky Wood, he was the sh.t when I was growing up and then ............. ? I heard he may have been overwhelmed by the whole tour party scene but would love to hear from anyone who really knows. Good thread by the way.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:19 pm

nick Wood used to live at Marcoola on the Sunny Coast and me and mate used to live there too, we saw him in the waves once but werent sure if it was him coz he was so tall, then heard he grew a foot 1 year so worked out it was him, and heard he was smokin heaps and just over the whole tour scene and the massive growth thing had farrrked his knees

Stuart Cadden did a suf show for a while, maybe RA or something pretty lame like that, prob about 15 plus years ago....

what about Chappy, where is he now ???

dunnc
regular

Post by dunnc » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:00 pm

What about Shane Herring? Gary Green and Dog Marsh?
I'd like to know what happened to Buttenshaw as well as he was all over tyhe mags one day then just dissapeared.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:07 pm

Garry Green was /is working at Jacksons board shop after a shop he owned didnt make it in Cronulla.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Nick Wood beat Tom Curren, Michael Ho, Shaun Tomson, Barton Lynch and Richard Marsh to win 86' Bells.

from memeory he was very young when he did this, maybe 18 or something. someone will know??
signatures, finally got it covered.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:38 pm

I think Nick Wood was even younger than that when he won Bells... like maybe 16.

I remember when Dog Marsh was at Nias when that tidal wave hit and it was all over the news, but since then... who knows??

How about Bainy and Kingsley Looker? Who remembers King on the TV dating show Perfect Match?? I know where Bainy is... I just want to see what the grapevine comes up with. :P

How about the SA chicks, Freida and Wendy? Didn't she do a nudie shoot for Penthouse? I always thought she was a bit of a hottie... bet things have gone a bit south now.

Yeah... unlike the rest of us from that era... :shock:

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:11 pm

I saw a pic once of a guy out at big big Bells, caught inside and praying. I think it was a comp day.

Who was he?
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:45 pm

Last edited by eMpowered on Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 am

hey dunnc,
coastalwatch has article on Gary Green.
its called Gary Green the first professional soul surfer
signatures, finally got it covered.

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:10 am

I thought this thread had an air of familliarity about it...

Certainly a few answers here:

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=7330

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:43 am

So nobody knows what happened to Butto ? What about that seppo Richie Collins ? He ws a different critter with his christian beliefs and mohawks and punching the shit out of his boards that he shaped, probably the last pro to shape his own boards ( please tel if there are others who do it today ), he used to ip for a while, and won bells too, but seemed to just vanish when he was probably in the top 8 in the rankings ( maybe did an Occ without the comeback part ??? )

anyone heard of a surfer called Robert Wolfe ( unsure of surname spelling ), but think he was from Caloundra and really really ripped, just freakishly fast and grea surfer, he beat Tom Curren once some comp and I am surprised that he never did better or made a name for himself....????

Yeah, keen to hear what Shane Herring is doing these days....???
Shane Powell did the tiling in my place a year ago and he didnt really want to tell me much about Herro, maybe they had a falling out or something, Powelly was cool though, he surfs around y place in winter and has a surf school at Avoca I think in the summer months.....

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:27 pm

Herro has been living at Lennox the past few years, usually found at the pub , or riding a bike with a brown sanga in hand. Suffers from pancreatitis, and has recently had every single one of his teeth removed due to rotten teeth leading to general septicaemia.
He tried to dry out for a few months but when the government payout came just before Chrissie he went nuts and got back on the grog.
Got kicked out of his Lennox digs and moved back to a mate of his at Byron.
Terrible tragedy, I'd be surprised if he made 40.
Last I heard of Butto he was tiling on the Goldy, surfing occassionally.
I remember Robert Wolffe, don't know what happened to him.
Steve
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:37 pm

How about former Welsh Pro surfer Carwyn Williams? I heard he was the first European EVER to turn pro.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:37 pm

dog marsh was in the G land tsunami, he now has a surf shop in cronulla.
I work with Simon Laws brother, he owns a surf shop or three in nelson bay and runs a surf school, goes to indo for holidays.
Nicky woods cousin is out the back having cones with a flatmate, wait a sec ill go ask him...

nah he doesnt know, he will ask his dad and get back to me.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Just a quick note
as the people we are talking about are real people that deserve some privacy, could we keep the info gossip free if possible?
Please only write something about someone that you know they wouldnt mind reading on the net about themself, within reason.
Cheers
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:01 pm

[img]

Kingsley Looker

Residential Sales Consultant

0411 225 556 [email protected]

View My Current Listings | View My Recent Sales | What My Past Clients Say

Residential sales professional, Kingsley Looker, is highly regarded across the Northern Beaches as one of the region’s finest and most talented real estate agents. His results and reputation speak for themselves, and his famous maxim, ‘exceptional service, exceptional results’, is a perfect description for his work.

Kingsley has spent many years developing the right systems and initiatives to effect great property sales, with every aspect of the sales process carefully executed with great attention to detail. His high energy and friendly, approachable nature has generated much respect among his clients, with 60% of his business now repeat clients or referrals from his large network of local small business contacts and past sellers and buyers.

Prior to launching his career in real estate, Kingsley was a professional pianist. He began playing piano at age five and later went on to record six albums. Kingsley enjoyed many highlights, including playing with an orchestra at the Sydney Opera House and Melbourne Concert Hall. Approximately 250,000 of his albums were sold in Australia, along with 50,000 through a US television cable network.

But music was not his only love. As a teenager, Kingsley spent many summers surfing at Queenscliff, and by age 18, he was on the pro surfing circuit. At his peak, he was ranked No 16 in the world.

After retiring from professional competition, Kingsley bought the Sunshine Surfing shop in Manly, one of the oldest surf shops in the region and a Northern Beaches ‘surfie institution’. While in retail he learned about management and sales, prompting a career move into real estate. His first port of call was Cunninghams, an agency with an impeccable reputation run by one of the industry’s most respected principals, John Cunningham. Kingsley was impressed by the company’s integrity and liked that it was a family-run business with an emphasis on team work and really looking after clients.

Since launching his real estate career, Kingsley has achieved many milestones. Among them is the record sale price for a ground floor apartment in Balgowlah at $2.8 million in 2007, and selling 12 properties in Bungaloe Avenue, Balgowlah, within a four year period.

Kingsley enjoys being involved in the community, and is the chief organiser of the annual ‘Let’s Light Up Bungaloe’ street party, a fundraiser for the Day of Difference Foundation. The Foundation was set up in 2004 by the parents of Balgowlah Heights Primary School student, Sophie Delezio, who was seriously injured in a horrific car crash in 2003, suffering burns to 85% of her body. The Foundation provides funding for pediatric burns units in Sydney hospitals. In 2007, $3,000 was raised and 250 people attended the party.

Kingsley works in partnership with his Sales Associate, Rebecca Garrod and has earned an exceptional reputation for providing the best results and service to his clients. He welcomes your call and would be delighted to assist you through one of the most important decisions of your life, being the sale or purchase of your home or investment

ACHIEVEMENTS
Winner Real Estate Results Network - 2008 Rising Star of the Year
Finalist “Excellence in Residential Sales Achievement 2004/2005” Real Estate Institute of N.S.W
Team Winner- Manly Daily Business Achievement Award- Real Estate for 2006
Team Winner- R.E.R Real Estate Results Network Award- Community Service for 2006[/img]