Where are they now ??????

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

turtle
barnacle

Re: Where are they now ??????

Post by turtle » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:14 pm

[quote="nu boy"]Would of been no earlier than 79 then,cause I left school in78 and was still on single fins.I think I swaped to twinnies late 79 then thrusters late 81(when everyone had worked out what they were).Aha Coke final 79 cheyne Horan V larry blair-Airlifted to BellsBeach what were they riding?[/quote]

^^ i've done bit of internet searching and cannot find much,
what were they riding??
cheyne had be on single fin zap??
signatures, finally got it covered.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:19 pm

Peter Oxleys got Wedgetail Pizza at Newtown. Occasionally surfs at Maroubra.
Jeremy won the State Junior Schoolboys in 1972 or 73. He used to play in a surf band at Mermaid Beach when he was in Yr11.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:30 pm

anyone remember James Labrador ? he was the first one on video to do like the hop air reverse thing, then never heard of him again...think it was a gorilla grip vid.... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Nah, different dog... I heard that Dog and Occ had a big falling out years ago and heard it was over a girl, who knows something ?? its prob in the Occ book but only read about 20 pages so far.... 8)

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:30 pm

^^^ Might have been John Labradoodle....Looked like him but with curly hair ....doood ripped!

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:05 pm

Karlos wrote:It's funny but I've never thought of the Oxleys as surfers, but rather musicians.
Wow.. that brings back the memories. Wasn't Tim in The Verys? One of my favourite Sydney bands of the mid 90's.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:58 pm

by merkin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:46 pm

pridmore wrote:
anyone remember James Labrador ? he was the first one on video to do like the hop air reverse thing, then never heard of him again...think it was a gorilla grip vid....

The video was called Hawaii 9-0 (made in 1990 when JL looked about 14). Still a north shore local methinks

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:50 pm

vb wrote:by merkin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:46 pm

pridmore wrote:
anyone remember James Labrador ? he was the first one on video to do like the hop air reverse thing, then never heard of him again...think it was a gorilla grip vid....

The video was called Hawaii 9-0 (made in 1990 when JL looked about 14). Still a north shore local methinks
me vcr is busted or I'd have some to say :shock:
Featuring the 360 degree aerial madness of James lAbradore, the NEW SENSATION... the freakish never-before filmed aerial moves of surfing's new sensation, James Labradore... Welcome to Hawaii Nine-0 :!:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:05 pm

got grommy's hopping and jumping everywhere and it wasnt pretty..... There was some great vids back then.... 8)

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:59 pm

Greg Day ? and is Mark Warren still around the Northern beaches ?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:48 pm

what about nuggetty big mouthed Sam Watts ? he used to be so loud and full of himself when I used to see him in the water and around the beaches on the Goldy in late 80's...wonder where he is now ???

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 am

Ringmaster wrote:
pridmore wrote:got grommy's hopping and jumping everywhere and it wasnt pretty..... There was some great vids back then.... 8)
F##kin oath :!:

Still got me old vid collection but hardly watch em' nowadays. How's 'Kongs Island' with Jeremy Oxley and the boys pumpin' out 'tunnel of my love' to mindless Kirra at 4 - 6 foot with Rabbit and crew getting tubed of their heads. Still love that track.

Or that Billabong flick...'Surf Into Summer' with some pretty out there music by American alternative bands like TSOL. Some chunkin Waimea with MR dropping into a couple of 25 footers as well as a 15 MINUTE :shock: segment of grommets Buttonshaw, Sam Watts and Matt Branson surfing shit, onshore 3 foot Queensland beachies.

Actually :idea: Might dust one of and put it on right now.

mate, you are a man who has some seriously good taste in vids, those 2 are epic and some of my all-time fav's too. TSOL rock and I blast them in my rusty EH allthe time, love the track 'Flowers by the door' and Sunnyboys are great too, I must buy that cd again...I have ' Srf into Summer' but the video player doesnt work but might watch it up at the local surf shop today, just take over their shop and put some good shiton. Also like Wave of the future.and that song...Do you feel like a wild child....good shit back then 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D 8) 8)

It's still about 30 degrees as I type this and with no sea breeze this arvo.... my house is a f##king oven and way too hot to sleep.......

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:23 am

And his brother , Terry, is still a muched loved & respected member of the Nthrn bches surfing comunity :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Terry's allways been like that,shoulda seen what he use to do to Albert Whiteman when we were kids.And Albert just laughed which made it about 3 times worse :)

deepblue

Post by deepblue » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:49 am

Was talking to my older brother the other day about Laser Zap's. My younger brother was given one by a relative in the industry at the time, that came from McCoy. He would have been about 14/15 at the time and was born in 1970 - which means it would have been around 1984/85.

[quote="steve shearer"]79-84 is the Lazor Zap era.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:39 pm

Thought resurrecting this old thread was overdue as I was watching the history of the Pipe Masters.
They didn't mention Kong at all although he was listed as one of the winners and briefly appears on the podium
at the end. Funny how he appeared to miss out on a lot of the hoopla compared to many other top level surfers of his day.
He went from being the next big thing ala Cheyne to senior competitor.

Also wonder whatever happened to Ted Spencer since he was part of the in crowd with Nat, Wayne, George and Bob in the old days.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trumpeter

Post by Trumpeter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Paul Johnson
Surfboards are our passion at Global Surf Industries.
Global Surf Industries has a company mantra "Life is better when you surf®".