Pro Surfers Height and WeightSaw

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Pro Surfers Height and WeightSaw

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:13 am

chrisb wrote:
yomutha wrote:Extracted from this monthes ASL (Hope ya don't mind NC!)

Forget all that bullshit about having a "low centre of gravity". Tallness has ALWAYS worked well in surfing. Pretty much all the best longboard surfers of centuries back, the likes of Nat Young, Joey Cabell etc, were tall as f**k. It's physics: a longer lever exerts more pressure with greater control and gets a better result. But then along came the short board, and the whole game changed - so radically that only in the past decade has hi-performance surfing style and technique developed enough for tallness to be fully employed. Only in that time have people grown relaxed enough on board to adjust those long limbs without stress - and as they have, they've rediscovered the joys of body length.
So if you're a bit of a stork, don't listen to people who reckon you've gotta be short in order to get the job done. Get out there and rip.
You need to consider whether surfing journalists have a vested interest: a surfing magazine will want more surfers > more boards sold > more people will buy their magazines > more money.
chrisb that's just massively stupid. I don't even think about that shit when I'm thinking about surfing and how it's been done well or badly through the years. The amount of free advice I've doled out here over the past four years should be testament to that, for christ's sake.

My point is that height -- in the normal human range -- is an advantage in the modern surfing era, as it has been in days past. If you're tall and having trouble surfing well, it's got fcuk all to do with the logic expressed in that point, and absolutely nothing to do with my supposed nefarious reader-encouraging motives. Maybe you're just not very good at surfing yet.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:32 am

Maybe you're just not very good at surfing yet.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Height doesn't really matter if you've got coordination, fitness & motivation. Short or tall, all body shapes can excel if they really want to. Simon Anderson won the pipe masters ( tall dude) and so did Derek Ho ( short dude). Whats more important for tall people is to make sure they're not riding a short guys board. Sure, it can be done but it will make things harder in my view

BTW - I stood next to Slater when checking into a hotel once and he's no dwarf. 5'9-5'10 or so? Hes' very definitely a fit bastard thats for sure. Great posture too - sign of a balanced physique.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Nick's taken me to task on this before but I still reckon the shorter, squat physique seems to suit better at the top end.

But I accept that is isn't a given, and is much more marginal than many sports.

Qangers comment re the gymnastics team doesnt surprise. Huge power to weight ratio, and guess what, gymnasts are almost never tall bastards, and have incredible balance. Have you ever seen a tall gymnast at the top levels?

Extra height requires greater balance IMHO, just as a factor of physics. Height isn't a barrier, but you will struggle to convince me that it is an advantage.

I have no excuse for my incompetence.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Yes you do. You are old. :twisted: 8)

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Well theres a few of us that would like to take some comfort in being useless old buggers Clif but Gerry Lopez and others are out there keeping us honest on that count. Age is no excuse.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Well, I'm tall (6'4'') and surf like crap - so I'm going with the shorter is better line :lol:

Seriously, i've always though shorter, nuggety guys surf better on shortboards especially. Of course, there's plenty of exceptions …
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:46 pm

RickyG wrote:

Seriously, i've always though shorter, nuggety guys surf better on shortboards especially. …
and now with tough times hitting the pro tour and having strech every dollar far as a sponser can

they have the huge money saving advantage

say one pro surfer books a airline ticket....shoves 3 other pro surfers into his baggage

taj will fit in carry on bag

one pays....four fly for free 8)

jeeze...being knee high a grass hopper never looked so good :mrgreen:

p.s and another thing...sharks won't bother eating them...i mean one good bite and there gone....midget pro surfers...so lucky :x
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:54 pm

Maybe you're just not very good at surfing yet.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nick tell us what you really think mate, classic, made me laugh

Im 6 foot, not what you call tall, but not a short arse, Im only of average ability at the age of 42 so my surfing has slowed down from what it once was, but I use my height to full advantage through the bottom turn to burying the rail and driving the board back to the pocket, give me height any day over short arses in surfing.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:13 am

Clif wrote:Yes you do. You are old. :twisted: 8)
Thanks Clif! I appreciate that.

BTW, that distant light in the tunnel coming straight at you is the same one that ran me down. Try to get his number will ya.

There's only one alternative to getting old unfortunately.

Truth is I'm not so old to use that as an excuse, I'm just too lazy to apply myself to the task (which is surely a sign of age)
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.